Muscle knots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dridlen1959, Apr 16, 2007.

1. dridlen1959

dridlen1959 New Member

I have tried everything for the muscles in my upper back, they feel like bricks and hurt so bad. I have had injections, taken muscle relaxers, physical therapy, pain killers. Nothing works. I use a heating pad all the time, but that is rather limiting......:)

I don't know what to try anymore, any suggestions? I am about to the end of my rope. I go back to the Dr. the 30th and would like to have something to suggest

dridlen
  2. monalisa3

monalisa3 New Member

I am in the same boat exactly. Darn trigger Points!
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

Have you tried a massage therapist that is familiar with fibromyalgia? A lot of times, this is the only way that I can get mine to loosen up is to have someone massage them out. Then go home and soak in a hot bath w/ epsom salts.

Kriket
  4. coolma

coolma New Member

sorry to hear about your pain. Stretching under a warm/hot shower helps - know that spring always brings worse pain due to the changing in weather patterns and the damper weather. Don't know where you live. Summer usually brings some relief for alot of people Hang in there!
  5. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

They can be very debilitating. I go a really good massage therapist who shows NO mercy and works them out. It really hurts and for a couple of days after, I need a bit of a muscle relaxer, but then they are good for quite a long time. I hope you find someone, or something that can help you.
  6. tjsmom

tjsmom New Member

don't know if you would find this helpful or not - but, if you fill a tube sock with rice, tie a knot at the top and then microwave it for a couple of minutes, you get moist heat that can go anywhere you go and lasts for quite a while.
    best wishes,
    Kim
  7. dridlen1959

dridlen1959 New Member

I wrote down each and every thing and I am going down the list and trying them all.

I like the rice in a sock idea, I have seen the microwavable things at the store and they are expensive.

I do have a tens unit and I do use it a lot.

Thank you so very much for the advice.

dridlen
  8. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

A physical therapist or massage therapist trained in Myofascial Release Therapy might be able to help.
  9. skikat

skikat New Member

dridlen, dont know where you live. i live in the usa . if you have a target or walmart sometimes has them but target carries a better one, try the wand massager, they can be turned anydirection just like turning a jar-lid. soooo easy. and they heat and vibrate. too just turn the handle in an "elbow position" and hold it on you body wherever the spasms are. it certainly has helped mine. good luck....ski
  10. jole

jole Member

The very best thing I have found is a massage cushion that you place in a chair. It does not vibrate, it massages. It covers your lower, middle and upper back. It is called Shiatsu from Homedics. You can buy it at (darn, forgot the name of the store) for between $80-100. Sounds expensive, but cheaper than a few massage sessions, and you have it right at home.

It really, really has helped me. I can get them loosened up and keep them from getting so bad. this is what causes so many of my muscle tension headaches, and I would do ANYTHING to not have them so often. I use my chair several times a day.

Friends - Jole
  11. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

twice a month does it for me...Wish I could afford to go weekly..The therapist calls me "gravelback"..And that's just how it feels..:eek:(

Anyway that & monthly chiro visits seem to help. Unfortunately it's just a band-aide fix til if & when a cure is found.

Blessings;
    Fifth
  12. dridlen1959

dridlen1959 New Member

I am writing all this down and trying it all. So many thanks, you guys are awesome.

dridlen
  13. NannyGlo

NannyGlo New Member

My most prominate "knots" are between my shoulder blades. Twice a month I get massage therapy treatments, and I also take a muscle relaxant, but my knots never really go away. I suspect trigger points are the culprit, and that would require an intensive and frequent type of massage to get rid of them, if at all. Also, like you, I have used heat, ice and an electric massager, all bringing only temporary relief. My guess is that the knots are part of the territory of Fibromyalgia, at least for me. Anyhow, no answers, but I sure can identify with you. NannyGlo