Muscle Relaxants for FM pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am having a horrific flare and for the first time in a long while, the Tramadol is not cutting it.

Narcotics do not seem to help the pain except the Fentyn patches and I will never again take that.

Has anyone tried a muscle relaxant for FM pain? I do question if it would work since this is neurological and your brain is telling you your muscles hurt. My FM does not interfere with flexibility, stiffness or lifting things other than exhausting me.

Interested if others have tried this.

Thanks in advance.

2. kat211

kat211 New Member

is what I take. It worked really well in the beginning, but like everything else its efficacy has petered out. It still takes some of the edge off though.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Baclofen is a muscle relaxer that might be worth a try, its cheap and helps alot with sleep. I use it mainly for sleep and add it to whatever im using for sleep that night and it seems to help me get a deeper sleep. People with multiple sclerosis use it to control muscle spasms. Better sleep will with pain also.

4. karynwolfe

karynwolfe New Member

Muscle relaxors don't so much help with daytime pain as they do help your muscles relax during the night so that you can achieve a deeper level of sleep, and ultimately begin to feel better with less pain in the following days.

You may have heard of guaifenesin as a potential treatment for fibromyalgia? It's the main ingredient in various cough syrups/expectorants. It's a central nervous system depressant and a popular muscle relaxant is a deritive of it; methocarbamol/Robaxin. If anything were to work I'd say it'd be that, but from my experience it's really hit or miss as to whether it'll help on any given day.

If you don't have any, you CAN go to the store and get OTC guaifenesin (Mucinex) or Robitussin with only guai in it; it really does have the same effect.
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I am planning on calling my PCP tomorrow.

I do get the night pain though usually towards morning from the FM and sometimes RLS.

Unfortunately, I can't take Mucinex or Robitussin. I was prescribed a medication for a cough several months ago that contained these ingredients and it made my RLS much worse and I felt really out of it. I also get the same effect from Benedryl. Dang. But I certainly appreciate the advice as I will tell my doctor that I don't think the Roboxin(?) would help. Fortunately it is in my chart that I had a reaction to the other medication.

As far as I can tell, my muscles are not tight nor spasming. It is more of a deep ache down to the bone and similar to the RLS and Costochondritis but much worse. Since my Costo is also worse, I am wondering if I am also experiencing inflammation.

Someone mentioned things that might be effective at first end up losing their effect. I have always wondered if this is specific to FM/CFS/ME or a common occurrence for people with chronic illnesses?[This Message was Edited on 07/14/2010]
  6. loto

loto Member

I take flexeril also, but i can only take it at nite, as it makes me sleepy.

I only take it when nothing else is helping me.