Muscle Relaxers Question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Nov 8, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Wow, 2 posts in 1 day; unusual for me lately.

Anyway, are muscle relaxers safe? I was curious because the heart is a muscle and do these muscle relaxers also relax the heart?

This may not be a very smart question but I haven't tried them and have read that someone takes them at night to help relieve the pain.

I have skelaxin and flexeril. I just have been afraid to take them.

I have taken valium for relaxing but wondering if I should stop the valium and take the muscle relaxers? My doctor gave me both but I was afraid to take them both; silly me, huh?

Any advice, opinions?

Thank you all so much,

BlueSky555
    Any advice?
  2. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I am one who takes Skelaxin 400 mg at night and then 2 hours later, take 1 mg of lorazepam. Don't know about the heart muscle, hopefully someone can answer that. I would be curious to know. This combination with the muscle relaxer at 8ish and the benzo at 10ish works GREAT for me. I was just using the lorazepam, but was still not sleeping as well as I would have liked. The muscle relaxer is also helping my pain a lot!!!! I was having horrible back pain and spasms and I'm not totally w/o pain or spasms now, but they have been reduced by at least 60%. Have you talked to your pharmacist? They might be able to help with your question too. Good luck!!!

GBHope
  3. Kryssie

Kryssie New Member

No question is a silly question!

WIth that said, I cant help you because I dont know. lol. I know there are 2 types of muscle. I think muscle relaxers work on your skeletal muscles. Your heart is a smooth muscle also it can be called cardiac muscle. Its involuntary, meaning it works on its own much like digestive muscles.

Just an uneducated guess! Hope that might help!
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you for your responses.

GBHope, I read both of your responses and want to thank you so much. I'm going to try this and hopefull, it will help me sleep and also help with the morning muscle aches/pain. I have lower back problems also and it causes my legs to hurt also.

kryssie, that was cute; good answer. Thank you for your response and information.

Wonderful information from you both,

Thank you, I think I need to leave for now; getting tired. Be back later.

BlueSky555
  5. suz45

suz45 New Member

Bluesky:

I just wanted you to know that both flexeril and skelaxin work as muscles relaxants via the central nervous system, therefore you would want to be cautious went taking other meds that depress the CNS such as Valium. There is a website that you can use to look up meds, some of it is very clinical, but if you look under indications/usage and drug interactions I think you should be able to see if you have a possible drug interaction problem. The website is rxlist.com/ Hope this helps, be careful wth taking all three of these meds.

Suz45
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I was reading the last post and she was saying about taking all three. You were planning on only the two together weren't you (lorazepam/skelaxin)? Also, like I said, definitely check with your pharmacist about the safety to make you feel comfortable and about any potential interactions with your other medications. Believe me, I have, LOL. I'm very paranoid!!! LOL. Also, start off slowly. Take care.

GBHope
    [This Message was Edited on 11/08/2006]
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Have you thought about a good balanced magnesium/calcium/zinc supplement? This did amazing things for me and my muscle pain and it's a mineral that we're all deficient in.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

First of all, thank you all for responding.

Appreciate the concerns about taking all 3 of the meds. Oh no, I wouldn't do that. I was thinking of trying the skelaxin and the lorazepam, as GBHope suggested.

I took 400 mgs of skelaxin this afternoon and slept for awhile. So, taking both of these just may do the trick for night sleep also.

suz45, thank you for the website info. I'll take a look at it.

Nancy, thank you for the information; this may be something I need to talk with my Dr. about; due to taking synthroid, I have to take my meds carefully.

Thank you all, again,

BlueSky555
  9. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Another thanks to Glazed; thank you for the response and welcome to the board.

I was happy to read all of the responses and yes, BGHope, the one muscle relaxer knocked my out. (Maybe I should take 1 800 mg without anything else and I'll get some night sleep)Smile.

OK, I'll quit on this post; it's just so nice to have not been on here much, then get all of these responses to my posts.

You guys are great!

BlueSky555
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm on meds for hypothyroid too. That's why I take my mag/cal/zinc supplement after lunch and at bedtime to space it away from my Levothyroxine.

Hugs,

Nancy B