Muscle Spasm/Charley Horses anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen55, Nov 16, 2002.

1. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've been getting TONS of these all week.....this seems to happen from time to time for me, and it starts off maybe once per day, then before you know it I am up most of the night, trying to get the knots out of my muscles. I've had these every single night and day this week, in my right calf and foot and in my left neck/shoulder muscle. I've had more this week than at any other times combined.

I did a search and came up with this, but I don't think any of these are the reasons, it's certainly not dehydration, injury (not any recent ones, anyway), over use or holding in one position:

"Muscle cramps are usually caused by:
    Over fatigue
    Dehydration
    Over use of the extremity
    Injury
    Sprains or strains
    Holding a muscle in one position for an extended period of time
    Circulation or nerve problems"

So, my question is this: I normally take Soma in the morning, and my RX had run out and I didn't take any all week. Could this possibly be the reason?
  2. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've been getting TONS of these all week.....this seems to happen from time to time for me, and it starts off maybe once per day, then before you know it I am up most of the night, trying to get the knots out of my muscles. I've had these every single night and day this week, in my right calf and foot and in my left neck/shoulder muscle. I've had more this week than at any other times combined.

I did a search and came up with this, but I don't think any of these are the reasons, it's certainly not dehydration, injury (not any recent ones, anyway), over use or holding in one position:

"Muscle cramps are usually caused by:
    Over fatigue
    Dehydration
    Over use of the extremity
    Injury
    Sprains or strains
    Holding a muscle in one position for an extended period of time
    Circulation or nerve problems"

So, my question is this: I normally take Soma in the morning, and my RX had run out and I didn't take any all week. Could this possibly be the reason?
  3. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Although I am not a medical professional, I believe that Soma is a muscle relaxor. Not taking it could certainly cause muscles to spasm. They are overworked from you not taking the rx.
    Kathryn
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

This is totally unrelated to my original post, but I just clicked on your profile and the picture is beautiful. Is that your grandson?

Riding horses is something I did in my "other life" - before ruptured disks. I used to own a quarterhorse, and I absolutely loved riding him. My aunt owned a stable, taught riding lessons, bred horses, showed horses......she was a fanatic....and I used to spend a lot of time there with her and the horses.

My hubby and I are taking a vacation Thanksgiving week down in FL at Cape San Blas and one of the activities offered on the peninsula is horseback riding. I would SO love to ride on the beach! But I have no doubt that I would be totally unable to move my body for the next week if I did.

Thanks for the wonderful trip down memory lane!!!
  5. beans

beans New Member

Yes I do get these hatefull cramps.

I can wake up from a deep sleep in sheer agony screaming for the whole neighbor hood to hear from a just an old leg cramp. Hate that!

As I read what I just wrote it makes me laugh.

If my windows are open and the sound carrys far on a summers night and echo's over the lakes and through the hollows and drifts into people homes with the fog and on the wind.
    I wonder what people who are sitting up late are thinking they are hearing. They must listen closely is it an Owl or maybe a Bob cat.

No more like a women screaming and its coming from the East. Must be Beans house.

Then they must think that kind sweet man we see who is so very gentle with his wife in public and during day light hours must be a different man at night and he must be beating Bean.

Then they think good for him she deserves a good beating she is such a lazy women. Drama over.

At that time as I scream my husband rubs winter green rubbing alcohol on the problem ache.

These aches and cramps were so bad a few years ago that I had complete blood work done again . I had my first MRI and a bone density test.
    Doctor was looking for MS.

Now I know that my bones are soft in my legs and that I brushed the inside of my ankle in side the bone.

When out doing my favorite thing hiking and I stepped into a hole because I failed to wear my good hiking shoes.

The ankle has been a source of irritation for several years and since I can not stay off my feet it will probably be with me for the rest of my life.

It gets worse when I am doing my favorite things and so today I am back to wearing my soft fabric ankle brace.

I also needed more Calcium and Potassium and Magnesium so I take several Calcium tablets vitamins daily. And a mineral vitamin.

But not with regular coffee or tea or soda.

What gives these cramps to me the most often is when I am drinking too much coffee tea or soda's because its flushes the minerals out of my body.

During the day when I start to get them I drink tons of water.
    But then I have to get some minerals in me with a meal because too much water can flush out the minerals I need also.

The doctor has me drinking Tonic water at night it has Quinine in it.
    I drink it for months and then the cramps leave me and then I stop drinking it for awhile and I stay cramp free for awhile and then they start up again.

Mostly when I am not taking the best care of my self.
    It is a hard fight to battle when I am taking the best care of my self.
    I am still very fatigued and I get fed up with my self not getting any thing useful done.
    Some days its harder than other days to sit still.

So I start to ignore good habits again and give in to cravings for things that will jump start me for at least a short while coffee and tea etc.

Last Monday as I ran the sweeper over most the house.
    I was getting cramps in the toes of both feet.
    I drank tons of water and was also drinking coffee to keep going I just could not look at crummy floor any longer.

So its an old nagging problem I have to deal with and take care of.
    I do not sit cross legged.
    I think the scarest time was a few years ago when half my foot went was numb.
    I could not feel my toes or the outer half of my foot.
    I worry that in time the doctor will find MS.

It also helps me if I can get the energy to clean the tub is to soak in a warm espon salt bath after doing a great deal of walking or working on my feet.

A great deal for me is a good amount of less for my neighbors :>)

I hope it helps to read anothers story.
    Beans

6. karen55

karen55 New Member

Thanks for your input. I take calcium/magnesium/zinc supplements, vitamin C, E, Bcomplex. I don't drink sodas anymore, I only have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, rarely drink tea. I drink water all day long every day, in fact whenever I leave the house I have a bottle of water with me, and the only other thing I ever drink is cranberry juice.

This happens to me 90% at night. I woke my hubby up yesterday morning at 4 AM yelling "help!". He rolled over and his first word was "Again?!?" It's funny you mention open windows, because that actually happened to me this week, sleeping with the windows open.

Oh well, if nothing else, the spasms are providing amusement for my neighbors!
  7. missboo

missboo New Member

i was getting alot of muscle spasms - in my legs at night, in my feet when i do my physical therapy, in my back when i stretch in bed, in my fingers, etc. My physical therapist suggested it may be a calcium deficiency so i started taking a multivitamin (which i probably should have done long ago), and the cramps have lessened in number. I read that you are taking calcium already though - are you taking enough?
  8. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi Karen,
    Have you had your potassium level checked lately?

For a couple of months now, my calf muscles have been acting up, cramping & aching, different from the Fibro.

When I was in the hospital recently, they ran the usual tests and my potassium level was below normal.

So, I am back on my K-Dur. I had quit taking it because the caplets are so large that sometimes they get stuck in my throat. I am on a diuretic and am suppose to take the potassium supplement prescribed by my doc. I guess it caught up with me.

Like I said, it's just a thought?
    take care,
    granmama
  9. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

What Vitamins, Minerals, and Supplements are you taking? When I was deficient in Potassium...I used to get horrendous charley horses....

After the onset of fibro--i would call what I was have muscle spasms---more like twitching, and rippling. Last appointment I was put on Klonopin....and restless leg synd., and all that spasming and twitching has disappeared.

Best wishes,
    Karen
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

I'm not taking extra potassium. I just had a bunch of blood workups in Sept. and Oct. and the only thing my Drs. said was not normal was that I was slightly anemic, and I have been that way my entire life.
    I'm taking calcium/magnesium/zinc with vitamin D & multiminerals, Vitamin C, E and B complex.

I drink tons of water, don't drink sodas, don't use sugar in coffee, or tea on the rare occasions I drink it.

I do severely limit my salt and have for many years because I have a tendancy to retain fluid and have migraines when I have anything that is high in sodium.

Perhaps it is potassium, that never occured to me. Like I said, weeks will pass and I don't have any at all, then this cycle will start up again.

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/17/2002]
  11. younghope

younghope New Member

I have been going through major spasms in my back and my stomache muscles for 2 1/2 weeks now. I know mine starts from a food allergy, but it will continue long after I'm cleaned out of whatever started it. I have to stay away from caffeine, preservitives and yeasts. At one time the spasms in my back pulled 3 of my ribs out so they were sticking way out above ny my shoulder blade. Right now it is mainly my stomache to where it it feels like it is spreading my ribs and crunching my stomache and intestines. I can hardly do anything. The only thing that is helping is taking magnesium and malic acid, about 800 mg every 2 hrs.Muscle relaxers help but I don't think not taking them is why you are spasming. There is usually a cause and the somas just make you comfertable.
    Good luck
  12. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I just read a small article in Womans Day magazine saying to drink plenty fluids, take hot bath & do lunges or squats to stretch muscles before bed. It also said if all else fails ask doctor for quinine sulfate - something I've not heard of for leg cramps.
    I've had them off/on over years and have learned not to stretch in the middle of the night or early AM because it triggers them. I also agree with others that potassium and magnesium are helpful - I take the powdered magnesium that you put in hot water and it fizzes (supplement called CALM) and it works as a relaxer for me. I have adverse reactions to prescribed muscle relaxers so I'm not sure about what Soma does but if you were taking it and quit I would guess it has something to do with it.
    Hope that helps!
  13. dlizard

dlizard New Member

off and on... when they start I get alot of them. Soemtimes in my legs sometimes in my arms.. or my abdomen or chest... yes ... all of my labs are perfect ( of course) but I've started taking magnesium over the past several months and it seems to have helped a great deal.... When they first come on after a long reprieve is the** worst too... they can hurt mighty bad.... Good luck!
  14. sunflowertgp

sunflowertgp New Member

I had a muscle to ball up in my left calf. It just started hurting. I didn't do anything strenous. I realy hurt everytime I lifted my foot up to walk. It is better now, but I ache, and my fingers get burning sensations. It might as well hurt tooo.....
    Toni
  15. contessa

contessa New Member

Just had two on friday. They were so bad I almost vomited. It was like a great big hand just reached down and crumpled me up like an empty soda can. I got so scared because these were the worst yet. Usually when I get cold my back and shoulder muscles go into spasms which throw out my spinal alignment. What a mess.

Have you tried riding again? Did you ride western or english? I use a forward seat western saddle (stirups hung well forward over the girth area) and sit on my pelvic bones. I find if I use the dressage riding style (pelvic bones) instead of sitting on my tailbone or butt I can still ride comfortably. Now getting on my horse is another story, that is not a pretty picture. For some reason every guy on the farm wants to help push my butt into place! HA! Hope you can find time for it on your vacation. Maybe they use gaited horses like Paso's or something. Rocky Mountain horses look more like quarter horses but they're also gaited. Many people with disabilities have gone over to these breeds because of the smoothness of gaiting. Good luck and have fun. I'm training my Appy mare to collect into a smooth jog and she's doing well at it.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

on Klonopin. Taking this med has done away with my muscle cramps/spasms and it has given me many more benefits.

Love, Mikie
  17. MicheleF

MicheleF New Member

told me potassium & magnesium def. both will contribute to muscle spasms. Since I've been taking them my spasms, twitching have gone away almost completely. The Klonopin that Mikie mentions took care of the rest. (I take .5 mg at bedtime).

Also, for the new people who didn't hear me moaning & groaning about the 4 letter word "exercise" when I was dx'd in July, lol, it has quite astonished me how much riding my stationary bike has helped the tightness in my muscles. I had to start very very slowly cause I was so out of shape.. we're talking 2 minutes twice a day at first! Now, if I don't exercise, I feel my legs tightening up like they used to. I didn't start "exercising" till I did stretching exercises for about 2 weeks before I bought the bike.

If you had told me even 6 mon. ago that I'd be exercising, I'd have laughed in your face!(hee) I keep it in the living room, which looks odd, but that's where it's easiest for me to remember to do it...plus I watch TV & the time just flies by!

Hope all of you suffering from the spasms get relief soon.. it was definitely a painful experience for me, so I know how you feel. Take care, Michele