Muscle spasm,cramps,stabbing pain,& injury

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mrpain, Dec 19, 2006.

1. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I've had fibro & cfs for decades but I'm experiencing something more painful and strange than ever before and was wondering if anyone can help explain what could be going on.

Friday morning I had been sitting in the recliner for 15 minutes drinking a cup of coffee when all of a sudden my right upper back muscles went into a cramp with a stabbing pain that wouldn't turn lose for 30 minutes..

I couldn't move or even turn my head because the pull from my neck would increase the pain. I couldn't breathe deep so I had to take shallow breaths because the pain was penetrating out my back but also thru my chest and around under my arm pit.

For the next hour I was in severe pain and tried to call my wife but couldn't reach her. I finally tried to stretch and move my arms around but the damage was already done. I think I was starting to swell in my back area and could have pinched a nerve.

I saw the chiro Monday and will see him tomorrow also. He thinks it is coming from my lower neck. But here is my real question though...

Since then, my body in different areas are cramping in the same way as my back did the other day. The only difference is that it is releasing quick and there's no damage left behind, only a quick painful jolt. So why all the cramping and what is going on?

The small stabbing cramps I can take, but the one that lasted for a half hour and nearly took me to the ER, which has left me still breathing shallow and not sleeping at night due to the pain, is very hard to take again. I know it has nothing to do with my heart....It is definitely something to do with muscles and nerves...When it tightens up into a cramp and won't release while that sharp knife cutting pain comes thru leaving behind a damaged injured area is what I'm trying to stop..Any advice?
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2006]
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

muscle cramps from Hades. Mine are usually the stabbing type -- it feels like being stabbed over and over again with a medium-sized knitting needle. Another FM friend says hers are like being stuck with a fork. Sometimes they're so bad they leave a bruise behind, which I find a day or two later.

Will your doctor prescribe a muscle relaxer for you? I take one several times daily and it has helped a lot with the spasms.

I find a heating pad or a soak in a warm tub of water helpful too. The problem is that sometimes when you get out of the tub the spasms come back.

I'm sure others here will have more advice for you, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone with this symptom.

Best wishes,
    Janelle

[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2006]
  3. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Is the body lacking nutrients or supplements for it to be so bad that it leaves permanent injury?? I'm so down in the back from last friday that there doesn't seem to be no end in sight... I feel like I was shot in the back by a rifle.. Moving my neck adds to the pain.. It doesn't make sense to me.
  4. Gothbubbles

Gothbubbles New Member

Have you ever tried arnica gel? It is a topical muscle relaxer. It might help a little?
  5. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

If you're not already taking a good and balanced magnesium supplement, this is something you could try for your muscles.

It works, we're all deficient in this very important mineral and it will help with muscle cramping. The weather could even be affecting your muscles depending on where you live.

Taking a mineral bath could help too. There's a 'recipe' on the board for peroxide baths with Epsom Salts that has helped many people too.

Maybe you could do a search here for magnesium and learn more about it. Discuss it with your doctor if need be.

Very gentle hugs,

Nancy B
  6. PVLady

PVLady New Member

This might sound strange, but I would have my gallbladder checked. Stabbing pains in the right shoulder and shoulder blade area are symptoms of gallstones.

You can have all sorts of weird pains from gallbladder disease. It takes a ten minute ultrasound of your gallbladder to check it out.

You could have had a small gallstone pass through the bile duct. I recently had my gallbladder out (Nov 5) after two years of problems.

The surgeon said many doctors fail to diagnose gallstones - but it is so easy to check for them. If you have them, it can be life threatening if they ever start to move, not to mention the terrible pain.

Do you have any digestive problems? Many people who think they have GERD really have gallstones. I had symptoms of GERD until I had my surgery. Gradually I am better and better.

7. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Thanks to all who took the time to respond... I have started to take muscle relaxers, and along with that, some magnesium.. Today I was attacked in the left knee area. It didn't last long but was very painful...

Wierd how it comes out of nowhere! I had to sit down immediately but a minute later, all was well. But from my back the other day is a different story. I'm still suffering with that attack and my back is sore with still a twingh of a stabbing pain that feels like it needs popped. It's always a problem area though.. Thanks again!
  8. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Does your knife stabbing pain come as the muscles start cramping into a charlie horse while tightening into spasms?
    It's a helpless feeling!
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

Sorry you are having this problem I have this sometimes in my upper back but I don't think quite as bad as yours.

I do hope you find relief soon. I use ice on mine or heat sometime but usually heat just make it worse.

Feel better and take care of you,

Karen :)
  10. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Mr. Pain:

I recommend some muscle relaxers. Your body is trying to prevent any further injury. The only way that it can do that is to keep the area as immobilized as possible...hence the muscle spasm.

I have been taking flexeril for about 7 years. Started with 10 mg at bedtime, and it allows me to sleep for 2 hours at a time instead of the 40 minutes I was sleeping prior to that. I now have to take 2 10mg at bedtime, and I do not feel hung over the next day. I used to use Soma, which also did the trick for me.

My PCP, who dx my FMS, told me that regular use of muscle relaxers is one of the most effective treatments for FMS symptoms. I do not know if that is true, but it does work for me.

Good luck, and hope that you get some relief and soon.

Ingrid
  11. dolphin67

dolphin67 New Member

I hope you are feeling better. It sounds like myofascial pain to me. Massage, stretching, anything to get more oxygen to the area is good. Heat works for some people, ice for others. The muscle tightens and won't release and can contrict the nerves. The pain can be referred pain from another area that is contricted. These can then start a chain reaction that activates other trigger points and cause more pain in other areas of the body. www.sover.net has a lot of good info on this.
  12. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond and help. Hope your having a pain free day and a relaxing Christmas.
    Today was much better and I'm hoping to never experience that again. (Well I can hope anyways)

I'm probably not describing what is really happening as well as I could because it's undescibable...It's not something you can just take your mind off of and think of something else like someone mentioned earlier.

This is "stop in your tracks, grab you, breath taking, can't move, paralizing, while panic-ing during it all, and can't make it release as it continues to crush your nerves while the muscle constricts and squeezes, as you totally freak with pain and have nowhere to turn or nobody to turn to because it wouldn't help anyways... Then from that particular episode, that part of your body becomes injured... (Well that just came to me all at once)! I guess my mind was just re-living it...(Sorry)
  13. choward

choward New Member

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. My Doctor prescribed Quinine for the cramps and it seems to help a lot. I tried to stop taking them and within 24 hours I was having the severe cramps again. I take 1 pill a day. It is what they use to prevent Malaria, I have been told you can get the same results by drinking Tonic water.
  14. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Apparently me and you are not experiencing the same type of problem because what I'm talking about brings lots of panic-ing.....Sent me to the emergency room once because the pain was so severe thru the back that it came out thru the heart in that I thought I was having a heart attack...

That particular incident took me 4 weeks to pull thru.. It was the worse experinence I had ever had in my life...It wasn't a heart attack and it finally took a chiropractor ten visits to get me some pain relief.. The ones I'm having now aren't as bad as then but they are still pretty bad.. So we are talking different situation apparently..
  15. sohappy7

sohappy7 New Member

hi there..have had this name (sohappy)for years!!--way before cfs. I have 7 kids the youngest is almost 3, so I also am very family orientated and NONE of them even remotely understands what I do, to get through a day. i was diagnosed 3 months after we adopted our 7th, but it was all brought on by ebstein barr--never been the same since. The dizziness and sleep deprivation are the worst for me. helps to here others are going through this stuff too.
  16. mrpain

mrpain New Member

fight; all I can say is if we're talking apples to apples, then your much tougher than I am. I'll admit I've never had to go thru birthing a child, so I don't know that pain at all.. I've had a broken ankle where the tibia and fibia was shattered and a steal rod with 10 screws had to be put in my leg to later be removed so the bone wouldn't grow to become brittle.

But even that experience doesn't compare to that one experience I mentioned above that put me in the ER. But I'm not trying to out-do anyone here....I'm just trying to get some advice and try to figure out what's going on with all this so I can try to turn things around...or to see if I'm lacking in something or maybe deficient in something..

The only thing that struck me strange was to hear a fellow fibro or cfs family member to tell me to just pay no attention to it or just go listen to music and take your mind off of it.. That sounds more like a "normal" giving advice or someone who doesn't have a clue...(Not saying that you don't) I'm just saying it sounded like I wasn't coming across with what I was trying to say...

sohappy- great name....I'm generally a happy go lucky person who likes kidding around but this illness sure knows how to put a damper on that sometimes.....thus having the name, mrpain.......glad to know you. Take care!
  17. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I didn't mean to come across that way. Just the opposite. I really appreciate and admire you very much. Thanks for all your advice and help! I'm just fighting this pain that's getting to me......I'm sorry....Please forgive me... I just now took a pain pill, a muscle relaxer, and a anti-inflamatory...I'll be back a little later and I'll bring my sweet disposition with me if that's possible..Take care and talk with you in about an hour..
  18. mrpain

mrpain New Member

I do agree that this darn disease takes a lot from you and a lot out of you. I also agree that music is a big help but only after you can get to a point where you can calm down from the initial injury that the pain has cause.

During the initial attack as it is happening, for me, there is nothing you can do but endure it and get to a place where pain meds. and such, can even start to help, and then maybe a hot tub with good music can put you into another zone for a short while.

But we are all different and we react differently. Usely the regular fibro pain I can endure, and have learn to live with...Definitely not pleasant but we just learn to endure. I've been doing this for 30 some years now, even when they didn't know what to call it...and a lot of doctors thought it was just in our heads.

The fatigue is also rough but sometimes that will fade away especially with a boost of caffeiene, but the next day is always worse. But that dog-gone brain fog and sensory overload along with everything else, makes everything even harder...And now with these new and powerful stabbing muscle cramps that contorts the body and hurts so unbelievably, well; what can you say or do.

So all I know to do is to come to the only people, (like yourself), who understands and can identify, and ask questions like I posted in this thread....And I'm grateful for you and everyone, and glad that we have a place such as this board to come to.. I rather come on here and laugh and kid around and enjoy each other, and sometimes that certainly happens.....But as we both tend to agree, sometimes this darn disease takes you in another direction.

Thanks for your help and have a great night... Take care and until the next time.................
  19. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

Have you noticed before that your pain is 'out of whack'?

By that I mean that it's way off the charts in comparison to what you should be feeling??? I've been noticing this in me for the last few years of this flare.

If I stub my toe, I feel pain that would equal if I pulled back a bloody stump...not just ordinary pain of stubbing my toe.

Same goes for the rest of my body. Some mornings testing my blood sugar just sends me through the roof.

Just wondering if you've noticed this and if it may be affecting whatever is going on in your body now which causes these intense pains for you.

As always, ask your doc about the experiences you've been having. I for one know NOT to put everything down to 'just FM'...because it seems to be a dominoe effect with our bodies.

Very gentle hugs,

Nancy B
  20. mrpain

mrpain New Member

Hey Nancy B...........Nice to hear from you... No, not really except I understand with fibromyalgia that we are sometimes more sensitive to pain than the average person.
    But I don't think that's what's going on ..

My last episode was Tuesday morning while in the shower. This time it happened on the left side of my neck and upper back. It wasn't a real bad one but yet just enough to go to an ice pack, pain meds, & muscle relaxers... But in that particular case, it was do-able.

We were having a house full of people coming to celebrate Christmas the day after Christmas. That was because we were with my wife's side of the family on Christmas. Maybe I had stress going on that I didn't realize and it manifested into pain...

Whatever it is, I wish I could get a handle on it before I have one of those giant attacks like the one I explained earlier on this thread...Those are killer dillers...Take care and hope you have a great New Year! I'm bound to quit whinning sooner or later....But oh the pain!