Muscle Spasm in the ear?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hbic, Sep 3, 2002.

1. hbic

hbic New Member

Anyone ever had this? From time to time, I get what sounds like a drum beat in my ear(no its not my heart beat, I know the difference) and it feels just like a muscle spasm? Its inside, in the inner ear. Its not the outer ear at all. Another question. This past weekend, I took a long driving trip, about 3 hours, to go school clothes shopping in another state (PA no sales tax on clothing). Long day of shopping, long day of driving. I knew I would be wiped out, I knew I would be hurting. But I didnt expect the strong spasms in my legs. Ild be laying quite still and then out of the blue, one or both of my legs would kick out uncontrollably. Like when the dr. taps your knee for reflexes. Is that normal? I attribute this to my FM/CFS, but Ive never experienced this before. Has anyone else?
  2. hbic

hbic New Member

Anyone ever had this? From time to time, I get what sounds like a drum beat in my ear(no its not my heart beat, I know the difference) and it feels just like a muscle spasm? Its inside, in the inner ear. Its not the outer ear at all. Another question. This past weekend, I took a long driving trip, about 3 hours, to go school clothes shopping in another state (PA no sales tax on clothing). Long day of shopping, long day of driving. I knew I would be wiped out, I knew I would be hurting. But I didnt expect the strong spasms in my legs. Ild be laying quite still and then out of the blue, one or both of my legs would kick out uncontrollably. Like when the dr. taps your knee for reflexes. Is that normal? I attribute this to my FM/CFS, but Ive never experienced this before. Has anyone else?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only problem so far, I have had with my ears is itching on the outside. Then one morning I woke up with fluid in both ears, like to have drove me crazy for hours.

As for those leg spasms, you were probably sitting in one position too long, that will cause spasms in a normal person. Or maybe you were tired and tensed your muscles without realizing it.

My legs are always stiff when I ride for just an hour, I usually flex my feet and calves during the drive (I am not doing the driving!).

HOpe you feel better soon, try a hot bath to relax the muscles.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. hbic

hbic New Member

5. hbic

hbic New Member

Geez, I keep hitting the enter button, so youll see this title twice, Again...
    I understand your theory, But I dont think that was it. This was like my legs were totally detached from my body, and doing the Can-Can. I was so extremely tired when I got home, that I sat down on the dining room floor for about an hour, and when I tried to get up, I couldnt, I had to crawl to the living room, to lay down. about an hour into comfortably watching tv and relaxing.... WHOA!!! What the.... Im sorry Kitty, I wasnt kicking you... Needless to say the cat gave me a dirty look and stayed away from the rest of the night. I could just hear her "Well, I never!" My kids were like, "Mom, are you ok? Do you need a doctor?" It hasnt happened since... Ok heres a good explanation. when your asleep, and you have one of those jerks. Thats what it was like. Happened about 10 times about 10 minutes apart from each other. But only in my legs. Makes me wonder sometimes if this is really Fibro, and not something else Neurological.
  6. dlizard

dlizard New Member

last year on november 13 hahaha yes I do remember the date! I had the worst ear ache I've ever had. I went to a "doc in the box" and she gave me EYE drops to put in my ear... I thought it was wierd but my pharmacist told me that it was cool. They didn't help. Then I went back to the doctor on the 18... ( another doc in a box) and this doc gave me ear drops for pain ( not antibiotics)... about 4 months later I still had fluid in my ear and pain and went to an ENT> he immediately drained the ear. He said it was the thickest stuff he's ever seen in his 40 yr career. The cultures were negative/ nothing grew! ok... so 2 weeks later I get teh ear ache again. This time I had surgery to place an ear tube. That lasted 1 week. I called his office 5 days after the surgery and told them I had bad ear pain. It felet the same... like it had no tube. Anyway, I finally got the doc to look under his microscope and the tube was all stopped up LOL>>>>> he didn't believe it.... so he replaced it in his office the next day... it hurt LIKE HELL>>>>> I was awake when he numbed my eardrum!!!! I thought I would pass out..... I got really hot. ANyway, to make a long story shorter... this tube is still in and it should be coming out anytime... its been long enough and I finally have no further trouble with my ear. In retrospect.... I feel like a muscle musta caused this... it all happened BEFORE Iwas diagnosed with fibro and we were under the lupus assumption.. Now I'm facing tube removal and probably non healing of my ear drum LOL>>>> I get all the wierd things* but I'm convinced YOU ARE NOT** crazy... this can happen! Good luck
  7. TheUnicorn

TheUnicorn New Member

The thing which happened to your legs is Restless Legs Syndrome at its worst.

The syndrome seems to be its worst when we are relaxing and trying to go to sleep. I assume that the more stress the legs have during the day, the more severe the RLS symptoms will be when you try to relax.

RLS is common among those of us with Fibromyalgia.

Unicorn
  8. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

See my post titled "muscle jerks". I was just asking about this the other day!!

-Shoobie
  9. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

I just looked and see you already saw my posting!! LOL
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I've been hearing a "swishing" sound in my left ear for about 8 years now. I have noticed that this is worse prior to one of my severe vascular headaches that I get awakened by. My doc wanted to do a lot of expensive tests to r/o a tumor years ago, but I deferred, as usual...ostrich's head in the sand!!
  11. Suze

Suze New Member

I was on Celexa for about a month several years ago. During that time I developed a problem with the nerve in my left ear. Could that be what you're experiencing, rather than a muscle twitch? I had no pain in the ear, just a strange sensation, almost like a little worm was trapped deep inside. I had an MRI, and nothing was amiss. I quit the Celexa, and the problem eventually went away, but it took more than a year.

Antidepressants often cause muscle- and nerve-twitches. In fact, I saw a special on TV once (Dateline or one of the others) that said some people (women especially) can be crippled by nerve damage from antidepressants.

Suze
  12. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hbic,
    I get that drum beating sound in my ears too. But to explain it to the doctor is useless. They say heartbeat, but funny thing, my "heartbeat" stops and starts....hahaha! My ears also itch and drain....ughhhhhhh
    I have Restless Leg Syndrome also. Legs have a mind of their own, they do all sorts of strange things! I have muscle spasms everywhere! Some places you wouldn't think that there would be muscle spasms, fingers, high abdomen, throat, etc.... Wish I could have helped more.

Soft hugs!
    Teresa :)
  13. hbic

hbic New Member

Because I havent been taking them much often, everyday, Bad HBIC, I know, but DARNITOL! I like to be awake for things, namely my life. Here take this, Dr. says, it will help you feel better. Ok, When? Feel Better or forget I feel bad? Im not going to the Dr. about it either, Ill mention it to the Rheumie when I go, but I dont expect him to even blink. "HEY,DOC, I seem to have grown a long bushy polka dot tail and whiskers that sing. What do think caused it and how do we make it go away?" "When did you say this heartburn started?" "Never mind, Doc, its not important, Hey Ya think you could give me a prescription for Wild Turkey or Mad Dog 20/20, something like that?" "Sure, no problem, here ya go, and call me in a few days and let me know how your feeling." "Sure thing, Doctor, just make sure you have your window open this time."
    Youve got to have humor through this. Ive finally learned that. Laughter is the best medicine, and prescribe liberally to everyone I meet. Thanks Ya'll. I thought it was restless leg, but wasnt quite sure.
    I'm not winking at you, my eye is spasming...Long story but a really good one.... another time.