Muscle Spasms - in thigh - please help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Mar 4, 2011.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I woke up and got out of bed to feel a horrible painful muscle spasm (I think) in my left thigh. Seems like my left side is the worse. I went to the ortho who says it's coming from my back and then I thought my SI joint, but my back is not hurting.

It's freaky - never had this before. I have had where my thigh fat burns or hurts from the fibro - but never felt like a pinched nerve feeling.

I was taking a Z-pak (azithromycin) for a suspected URI (doctor said I didn't have to take it) but I thought I could get rid of this cold. Wonder if this med can cause muscle problems?

Anyone else with thigh pain? what do you do? Skelexin didn't help -Tylenol takes the edge off (I'm sensitive to meds so I can't take stronger pain meds) Using ice and heat -
    Anything else - vitamin wise? home remedies?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

The spasm can be from your back. When my sciata was pinched the pain was in my thigh! down my leg,not back.

I can not take z-pak. did you get the packet about side effects? also this will not help a cold.

It sounds more like maybe nerve pain? I use a rub for pain. like those icy-hot ones. also could be myofascial pain knot. is there a knot there? massage with a tennis ball.

possibly soak in warm bath with epsom salts

good luck
  3. Jayna

Jayna New Member

Down my left thigh.

One thing I find helps is to walk around the house a bit with only one shoe on. It changes the angle of the pinch in my back and quickly eases the pain in my thigh.

For me it's the right shoe. Your back may need a different angle.

4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I did use Biofreeze last night - really slathered it on and massaged. This helped a bit, but I still needed to take some Tylenol this morning. It seems to hurt most, when I'm getting up from a chair. Ortho did order a lumbar spine MRI and said it could be coming from my back - very weird as my back doesn't hurt.

Hmmmm! I notice when I change from one pair of shoes to the next, I get that burning sensation along my left hip/outer thigh. From sneakers to ballet flats or to sandels is a killer.

I may have back issues but definitely not ruling out myofascial pain or Fibro. I have all the tender points but have never been given a final diagnosis.
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I really just want to stop the antibiotic - I know you are supposed to finish it all, but I don't think I needed it in the first place. I had a 99 temp and just a tad of green mucus - I do have some asthma and went to the pulminologist who said my lungs were clear and I had a slight dry cough. Chest x-ray was OK. I guess I just wanted a quick fix to feel better, but not sure if the abx was the way to go. It always messes up my bowels & gut. Taking plenty of probiotics now - but I cringe to finish the next three pills.

Has anyone just stopped an abx? Is it really bad to stop it?
  6. 3gs

3gs New Member

If there really wasnt a clear reason to take,it wont hurt you to stop. You only have 3 left.

from what you said about thigh getting up and shoe it sounds like it could be your back. glad your getting an MRI.
  7. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

If it turns out that it's not your back causing the problems, I would suggest magnesium supplements. I have severe back issues as well..and I have muscle spasms unrelated to my back problems. I supplement with magnesium, and it helps with that tremendously! Good luck to you!