muscle twitches anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SICKim514, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SICKim514

SICKim514 New Member

I've had muscle twitches for quite a few years now. I don't remember them as a teenager, but it's been at least since I was diagnosed with FM/CFS back in 2004. I get muscle twitches all over my body at random, at least a few hundred times a day. It's very subtle and other people can't actually see it unless you're actually looking at the muscle when it happens. Anyway, is this related to the FM? I had seen a neurologist a number of years ago who did an EMG, nerve conduction study, and an MRI...all of which were completely normal. The problem is that these muscle twitches (aka fasciculations) leave my muscles feeling sore after a while...almost like I've run a marathon. The neuro I had seen back then had prescribed Topamax, which I took for a couple months. I didn't notice a difference with it, so I ended up stopping it because I couldn't handle the side effects. Anyone else get these muscle twitches?
  2. loto

loto Member

I get muscle twitches also! I notice them especially when I'm sitting, doing nothing. I also notice them alot when I'm driving. I keep both hands on the wheel, because if I don't, one arm might twitch, and then the car slightly jerks one way! I never really asked any of my doctors what causes this, i've just always thought it was part of FM. Who knows?? Just know that you're not alone with these twitches!! I do remember a few years ago before I was diagnosed, I used to get almost constant twitches in one of my lower eyelids. It drove me crazy. My eye doctor said it was stress. It eventually went away there, and I don't get it in my eye very often anymore. I just don't know what causes these! Maybe someday we'll get a definite answer.
  3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

One of my first symptoms with this disease. I've had this for a very long time. The only thing that seems to help is to increase your magnesium, potassium and iron intake. It seems to be caused by a mineral deficiency. High doses of magnesium can help over time and also, if you eat alot of frozen fruit and raisins. For some reason this just helps. Nothing fully gets rid of it, though.

I think it's a horrible, annoying symptom. And I've had idiots tell me to ignore it. You can't. It's everywhere.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi SICKim514,

Muscle twitches are a big symptom of Borellia burdorferi infection (the bacteria that causes lyme disease). You might want to look at the symptom checklist in Dr Joseph Burrascano's paper titled, "Advanced Topics in Lyme Disease-Diagnostic Hints and Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and other Tick Borne Illnesses", Oct 2008. You can see if you have other symptoms on the list.

I was diagnosed with FM 21 yrs ago, but now I know I have lyme. I also have muscle twitches.
  5. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

the muscle twitches could be caused my the Lyrica or any other med I might be taking. They are annoying but not what I would call painful so I will just ignore them unless they get out of hand.

6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Tons of them. They've seemed to relax some recently (don't know why)
    You can watch my upper arm looks like I've got an alien in there.
    My husband once laid with me with his arm around me and he said he felt them travel down my body.
    I've never gotten sore from them - that must be terrible.
  7. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

Mine have been doing it for at least 58 years. Don't remember pre-sixteen. Mostly the legs. Only had CFS since 1991.

8. BeanyMalone

BeanyMalone New Member

My doctor gives me Valium for this. When it starts I take 5mg, or if you are somewhere that's not convenient take it shortly after. It works wonders-I thought my dr. was off her rocker when she prescribed me Valium for fibro, but used sparingly you will find a big difference.