muscle twitching

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CooBax, Jan 7, 2006.

1. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Just wondering if anyone suffers from constant muscle twitching and hyper relexes. Is this a symptom of CFS. Thanks for the info..

Lesley
  2. CooBax

CooBax New Member

I have had four MRI'S and they have showed nothing...also a lumbar puncture which was all clear....what does your doctor suspect...

Lesley
  3. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Can the anti dep. effixor cause muscle twitching?? any ideas...thanks

Lesley
  4. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Yes, twitches and tremors are common side effects of most antidepressants-- I believe they are listed as one of the less common ones of effexor.

I get them from time to time, whether or not on an antidepressant--- just chock it up to being a part of this whole mess of symptoms.
  5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Have you have your Vit. D level checked? That what mine was like 2 years ago and my Vit. D level was very,very low.

If it's the case, it's easy to fix.

Tigger
  6. CooBax

CooBax New Member

thanks so much for the advise on vit. D I will look into it. My homeopath does have me on magnesium but I have been a little slack with it. Thanks again.

Lesley
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

arms and shoulders will flail with resing and the hands too...i notice it when i am at rest mostly...

it started when i started taking cymbalta needless to say i am not on it anymore,but is still have this condiiton...i don't nknow if it will ever go away..

and i get muscle twiching in thighs and arms as well and face occasionally

jodie
  8. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Hi Jdie,

That sounds just like me...do u have CFS...i get the jerking while at rest and muscle twitching too...i am on effexor but still get the twitching when i went off of it..
    It seems to be worse when i am really fatigued..thanks

Lesley
  9. sdown

sdown New Member

Get your doc to check your potassium and your B12 levels. Do you get dehydrated easy? Maybe your electrolytes go out of whack? If that's the case you might have a hard time balancing your sodium and potassium.
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...that these muscle twitches are extremely common with both FM and CFS regardless of whether you take medications like anti-depressants or not.

I have gotten them on & off for years and have never been on anti-depressants or other daily medications. Dr. Devin Starlanyl, who has FM herself & writes about it (check out her website) described these twitches once as though you have a string of those small Christmas lights draped around your body that have been plugged in and set on the "twinkle" setting. I thought that was a very good description!

I started getting them as one of my first symptoms of FM, went through an exhaustive neurological work-up, including spine & brain MRIs, a lumbar puncture, nerve conduction studies, etc. Everything was negative, and there was nothing that would explain these twitches.

I later read some of Dr. Starlanyl's books, plus learned more about FM and realized how common a complaint this is---it's like there's a kind of "short" in our body's electrical system.

Mine tend to come and go and be prominent for awhile, then go away completely for a period of time. I don't worry about them like I used to!

As someone mentioned, have B-12 & postassium checked, also important is taking enough magnesium---these things all have an effect on how well our nervous systems work. A lot of people find adding magnesium really helps the twitching. Others use a prescription medication like Klonopin to relieve them. I just live with them; they've never really gotten any worse, and they do go through phases where they almost disappear.

Hope this helps some!

Hugs,
    Pam
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...for coobax
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

13. CooBax

CooBax New Member

Thanks so much for your comments. I cant tell you how much it helps to know I am not the only with crazy twtiching...the comparison to xmas lights is so true ...that is excatly what it feels like....Again thank you so much for letting me know that.

All the best to you..

Hugs
    Lesley