Muscle weakness?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CarolDonz, Dec 19, 2005.

1. CarolDonz

CarolDonz New Member

Hi all,

Has anyone who's been diagnosed w/CFIDS or fibro experienced muscle weakness?

Thanks,
    Carol
  2. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

and have days of extreme muscle weakness, especially on the stairs!!! It is very annoying...
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Yes Carol,

I deal with muscle weakness every day all the time nowdays.
    I'm EBV active and just had a ruputed appendix 11/5/05.

I'm hoping it will pass soooon.lol

Take care Happy Holidays,
    Dee50
  4. darude

darude New Member

Mainly in my legs so hard to stand for long.. Also stairs are a problem.
  5. CarolDonz

CarolDonz New Member

Hi Dee,

As you know, I have CFS and fibro. I feel exhausted a good deal of the time, and now have a lot of muscle weakness also, in my arms and legs (like trying to lift some plates out of the closet). I also have gastro symptoms, and I've had numerous tests.

Thank you for your kind reply, and I hope you're feeling better.

Have a happy holiday,
    Carol
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks Carol,

I'm having lots of test too! Yuck that's all I have to say about all the tests.lol

We can only do what we can do.
    Take care of yourself,
    Dee50
  7. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I thought I would bump this topic up again. Does declining
    hormones affect muscle weakness? I just turned 50 and feel
    like my hormones have bottomed out. Thats when I noticed
    the muscle weakness after activity. I am almost post
    menopausal-any comment on hormones and muscle weakness
    would be appreciated. I wonder if bioidentical hormones
    might help?

Dreamharp
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2006]
  8. sdown

sdown New Member

Yes I have muscle weakness. Some days are worse than others. Depending how active I can be. Ive had a bad year with sinus infections, nasal polyps, dizziness and fungal infection. So I havent been able to exercise much. Doc told me my adrenal gland exhaustion (Addison's disease) and being anemic causes the muscle weakness. I guess some people who have chronic fatigue have Addison's and dont know it because the docs dont know to test for it. So I was lucky to have a good doc. I take B12 and it helps.
  9. laspis1

laspis1 New Member

I have FM and I too have weak muscles. Although I seemed to have been doing better over the past two and 1/2 yrs I am having a flare with weakness, malaise and muscle weakness. My legs are putty at the moment and so are my arms. So I guess it does come with the territory.
    I have however posted in another thread that the weakness may be related to an dis-autonomic condition. It was suggested by an endocrinologist that that is what I have. I went on a board to read about people with this and there is a huge overlap of symptoms. I found out that a lot of people with CFS are diagnosed with dis-autonomic condition like vasovagal syncopy or POTS.
    At first I was excited that there is another angle, another explanation, only to find out that medical community knows little about these conditions and patients go from endocrinologist to cardiologist to neurologist without much success.
    Pharmacological treatment resembles that of FM. They prescribe SSRIs and beta blockers and salt pills. Maybe I am oversimplifying but as much as it is plausible explanation for many symptoms, the cause seems to be neurological and there is not much they can do.
  10. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

Yes I have muscle weakness too and it is very confusing to me. I was dx with FMS in Sep. and the sx had been deceloping after a fall in Oct. 04. My thyroid and iron is low as well which can cause muscle weakness as well and I started treatment for that in Dec. 05.

I have worked very hard to continue with an exercise program I started gradually after my injuries and build up over the last year to lose weight. I exercise 4 - 5 days a week and am on the elliptical 30 min. now for my cardio along with other exercise throughout the week. What's confusing to me is that I exercise regularily, yet my leg muscles can still feel so weak that walking up the flight of stairs in my home fatigues them so bad they burn and hurt. I stretch most days, yet this still happens.

Even keeping up the 30 minutes on the elliptical is a struggle as I always have to push myself and I feel the muscle weakness each day I work out for a during part of the workout - usually at the beginning, but some days it can be throughout the entire workout on a bad day. If I wasn't so determined to lose the weight and get healthy, I would have given up. I just don't get it why this is so hard and such a problem.

Jeanette