muscles in a constant state of tension

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nailz, Feb 7, 2010.

1. nailz

nailz New Member

Does anyone else have this problem? I'm always clenching my teeth, butt muscles in knots, shoulders tight, etc. I've tried calcium w/magnesium, valerian, melatonin, and more but nothing seems to help. Also I have VERY poor sleep...lots of sleep 'arousals'(near awakenings) which I believe adds to the tight muscles. Anyone have suggestions? Please!!!
  2. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I know what you mean about clenching teeth and all muscles tied in knots. I find myself sitting all tightened up when I am watching TV or on the computer. I have to remind myself to relax them but when I quit thinking about it, I tense back up.

I too have very poor sleep. I alternate taking sleep meds with muscle relaxers. I take a pain pill about two hours before I go to bed then take the other meds at bedtime. If I take anything too often it loses it's effectiveness. I only sleep 3 to 4 hours when I first go to sleep then it is in about 30-45 minutes intervals for the rest of the night. Nothing lets me sleep all night anymore. I wake up all tensed up and in pain.

I don't know of anything that will help for very long. Sorry, I wish I could give you some good advice. I just thought you might like to know you aren't alone in this.

Stinker
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

This is me also! I have clenched so hard my teeth have cracked and broken! Have actually pulled the ligaments in my ankle!

Have you tried a mouth guard? Clonezapam is only thing that helps me sleep but doesnt last all night. Still wake up in a ball of tension.

I tense and release all the time day and night. One weird thing is I found when I took a predisone,felt better had to take less pain meds and seemed to not tense up as much! wondering if inflammation could be part of problem.

My NUCCA chrio also helps.
  4. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I've decided that I must have myofacial pain syndrome. My muscles are always knotty. I do wear a bite guard @ night,but I still get migraines from time to time(I think this ia a bite issue.) I get cramps in my feet while sleeping also,never feel like I can really relax! Regular massage seems to help some. I take one 10mg flexeril @ night and Fibro Sleep,I still wake up a lot,but generally can fall back asleep(Light sleep). It's a drag isn't it?~~Jeanne
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've cracked a tooth, needing a bridge, ultimately. I grind my teeth and have since I was a child. I wear TWO mouthguards at night (top/bottom). My thigh muscles are so painful just now that I cannot cross my legs. I need a massage -- that always helps, but I haven't had one in a while. I have had good luck w/Claire (sp?) Davies book.
  6. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Why do they think God created it in the first place?????????

Amazing things you can find in nature :) Now if only they didn't make it illegal in nearly every state in my beloved country.

Nah.stacey
  7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

I too have the terribly tight muscles and TMJ (on occasion, it comes and goes).

I have found several things that have made me sick and am very busy correcting them. So, for the most part, I am much better than I was a year ago at this time. However, the only things I have found that help the tight muscles are magnesium (helps a little), epsom salt soaks (helps a lot for awhile), and flexerill at night.

I attended a cannabis lecture given by a local doctor of osteopathy on Saturday. He said that clinical studies have proven that cannabis is effective for fibromyalgia, MS and about a half dozen other things that I don't remember. His favorite treatment modalities are tinctures and creams. He is very much against smoking it as it has the same health risks as cigarettes. I have never tried it, but it is something to keep in mind.

Cannabis is legal in Colorado where I live. However, its future remains unclear since there are many laws in the Colorado legislature which could severely limit its availability. If you are in Colorado and want more info on its legality and where to find it, there is a good website at www.commj.net.

8. spongebobmama

spongebobmama New Member

IT IS SUCH A SHAME THAT IT IS ILLIGAL.I HAVE USED THE DRUG FOR RECREATION ON AND OFF SINCE 1967. LAST SUMMER I TRIED TO COME OFF ATIVAN ALONE AND WAS OUT OF MY MIND WITH TENSION AND MORE ANXIETY THAT I KNEW.MY DEAR HUSBAND PUT SOME BRITISH COLUMBIA GRADE STUFF IN A PIPE AND SAID,SMOKE IT. THIS WAS 6 AM AFTER WALKING THE FLOORS ALL NIGHT OUT OF MY MIND. I FELT INSTANTLY CALMED DOWN TO AT LEAST A LEVEL TO DEAL WITH PROBLEM.i DECIDED TO JUST GET BACK ON THE ATIVAN FOR THE TIME BEING AND DEAL WITH IT IN THE FALL,WHICH I DID IN THE HOSPITAL.BUT FOR THE ANXIETY IT IS EXCELLENT. I AM SURE SOME OF YOU HAVE TAKEN A LITTLE HIT NOW AND THEN. A HIGH FLYER,SPONGEBOBMAMA
    [This Message was Edited on 02/09/2010]
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You would not believe how many people have suggested this to me. I am not one that you would think would be interested in it by looks alone. (if that makes any sense). Even my mother has suggested it. We suddenly have these shops popping up everywhere.

I briefly asked my rheumy about it last Oct. - I mean really briefly, he just said he didn't think it would help me. Well - wait, maybe it will. At this point, I'm ready to try anything. (within reason)
    My problem is knowing how to bring it up again.
  10. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You would not believe how many people have suggested this to me. I am not one that you would think would be interested in it by looks alone. (if that makes any sense). Even my mother has suggested it. We suddenly have these shops popping up everywhere.

I briefly asked my rheumy about it last Oct. - I mean really briefly, he just said he didn't think it would help me. Well - wait, maybe it will. At this point, I'm ready to try anything. (within reason)
    My problem is knowing how to bring it up again.
  11. znewby

znewby Member

Get magnesium shots or nebulize magnesium to relax muscles. Read about Sarah Myhills nebulizing magnesium. It is quite helpful especially for neck and shoulder tightness.
  12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I have CFS. I have an ongoing problem with upper back and shoulder tension and pain. I used to occasionally get cramps in the soles of my feet and calves during the night.

A couple of years ago, I got a rebounder. I was surprised at how much the bouncing made my tight upper back and shoulders hurt. Fortunately, the instructions said to start with only gentle bouncing because that was all I could stand to do. With repeated rebounding sessions, the tight muscles loosened up. The problem is not entirely gone, but is much less now.

I have only had two instances of calf muscle cramps since I started rebounding and both of them were when I had been away from home for several days and was not using the rebounder. I have not had any more foot cramps (knock on wood).

Your problem sound more severe than mine and a rebounder is sort of expensive, so I am not necessarily recommending that you get one. If you are interested, you might be able to borrow one or buy a used one cheap. Long term use of a cheap or worn one can have negative consequences, so if you found it helpful, you would want to buy a good one.

I also have myofascial constrictions that I work on myself. Rebounding is not going to resolve myofascial constrictions. Butt muscles in knots could be myofascial constrictions. I personally think that the best way to treat myofascial constrictions, and to get a definitive diagnosis, is to see a physical therapist or massage therapist who is well-trained in myofascial release therapy. Once you learn what the therapist is doing, you can do self-treatment.

If seeing a therapist is not possible for you, books can also help. There is a good book on myofascial trigger point treatment, but I can’t find my reference. Another good book, especially if you have FM, is "Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain" by Devin Starlanyl and Mary Ellen Copeland.

[This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010 because I can't get HTML to work]
    [This Message was Edited on 02/10/2010]
  13. Juloo

Juloo Member

...I forgot to say that the only thing I have found that consistently helps with muscle relaxation (and pain) is codeine. I've only had it a few times, such as after surgery or similar. But somehow I become aware of my muscles beginning to tighten and can relax them back to looseness. I have had an Ultram prescription, but that stuff did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and was a complete waste of money that I wish I could have back!
  14. wrthster

wrthster New Member

I kid you not, and worth a try for 10 bucks or less. Peppermint helps a lot with muscle spasms. The best is Pepogest by natures way. It is enteric coated.
  15. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Myofascial release works beautifully, stretching in water helps also, however, these are temporary reliefs as we continue to have muscles under tension. I read Rooibos Tea helps relieve muscle tension and helps sleeping issues. I am going to purchase some, am thinking it will require a trip to the health food store. Also known as redbush tea.

June
  16. MeowsAtNightxx

MeowsAtNightxx New Member

Are you getting enough magnesium? about 360 mg daily? If I don't get enough magnesium, the bottoms of my feet will cramp up severely. Other muscles will twitch. I use Natrol vitamins, so the right amount of magnesium is already in there so I don't have to supplement. But if you need to supplement, then magnesium glycinate (which is hard to find) is the better type as it is easier for the body to digest. Makes a world of difference for me, especially with tense neck muscles, as it helps abort my migraines so I don't get as many now.

Therapists skilled in myofascial release did not work for me. My trigger points can't stand being touched, and it only made me seize up more (even with the lightest touch). However, I learned acupressure points, bought a good book on it, and use that to help so I don't have to press on the actual myofascial points. It really helped me! I am sure that the internet will have some free info on acupressure points. It's funny because acupuncture never helped me either, yet acupressure will. We are all so different, eh?
  17. mrlondon

mrlondon Member

Meow - Have you tried yofascial injections for your trigger points?

Also, while 400mg is the RDA of magnesium, many people, like myself, need at least double the RDA to see results. I take magnesium with every meal, as splitting it up helps to increase the amount that is absorbed. i also take it with calcium in the form of calcium carbonate, which at least me for seems to offset the laxative effect of themagnesium. However, some people I know need other forms of magnesium, such as sustained release or injections.

If that doesn't help long term low dose muscle relaxants are probably the next step. - Mark
  18. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I have the same problem. I too will be sitting watching TV, or reading, etc. and realize that my jaw is clenched and my shoulders are up by my ears. I'm surprised I have any teeth left!

I have increased my magnesium intake and it seems to have helped with my restless leg syndrome. Unfortunately, I also have to take Oxycodone which does help with the muscle tension. Muscle relaxants don't seem to help me much.
  19. joeperry

joeperry New Member

Someone I once knew who had FM had a friend called Mary Jane that they said was extremely helpful with muscle tension & sleep issues. The other other things to help with muscle tension where codeine or Tamazepam (muscle relaxant) . The temazepam was prescribed on a 1 tablet a week basis but 2 tablets were required for effectiveness.

People are suffering unnessarily because of myths and stupid laws. Codeine and temazepam have side effects - let alone other stronger drugs used for FM. The person I once knew had known Mary for over 20 years yet he had an excellent memory, wasnt schizophrenic, didnt wear tie dye shirts, drive a combi, etc.... He also only took the above mentioned medicines not all the others that most FM people take.

Dont continue to suffer because fat men with too many houses to remember are too gutless to do the right thing and change the laws. If you keeping hearing the same message that may be because there is something to it.