Muscles Shaking and Contracting

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam112361, Jun 3, 2005.

1. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I've noticed that I have a lot of shaking and drawing in the muscles of my arms and hands. Although I feel it is fibro-related, I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem. It happens more when I've been really busy or am terribly stressed. The shaking in my hands really scares me sometimes because the first thought I had was Parkinson's. I feel silly asking my rheumatologist about it. Any suggestions?
  2. CFIDSNicole

CFIDSNicole New Member

Pam, I am no expert, but I *think* I know what you are talking about. I don't get the contracting or drawing that you describe, but I do get shaking in my hands and arms, but I also get it in my legs sometimes. I have both CFIDS and FMS, but I think mine is related to the CFIDS. My shaking happens when I have really overdone it or am really stressed--to the point of exhaustion. In my legs it feels like an extreme weakness, like they are having problems carrying my body weight, and my hands noticeably shake; if I try to carry something, my arms will shake, too.

So, I am not sure what to tell you, but Parkinson's never crossed my mind--I just thought it was the CFIDS thing.

Take care,
    Nicole
  3. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

Thanks for the response Nicole. I also notice the shaking arms if I try holding anything for very long. I have gotten to the point where holding a fork or the steering wheel will cause my hands to draw into claws. I've never been diagnosed with CFIDS, just FMS. I've had problems for more years than I can remember, but was "officially" diagnosed in December 2004. I suppose I should mention it the next time I visit my rheumatologist to see what he has to say. I have neuropathy in my elbows and have already had surgery on one and expect to have surgery on the other since it actually tested being worse than the other. The one that was operated on just kind of stopped working. That's the one I have the most trouble out of now. It just so happens that my rheumatologist and my neurologist are in the same building and have this "don't operate on my fibro patients" thing going on, so it's hard to decide who I need to see.
  4. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

My PCP tried me on Cymbalta but it only lasted one dose and I had to come off. It apparently didn't react well in my system. It was as though I had overdosed (shaking, enlarged pupils, etc.) and lasted for 2 days. The doctor said that is wasn't contraindicating with any other meds, just not to take it anymore. After that experience, he won't have to worry about that. One good thing was that I could tell a definite difference in my pain; there almost wasn't any.
  5. FibroFoggyKaty1

FibroFoggyKaty1 New Member

I get muscle spasms and they are awfull. I find mostly its when I am tired, and it can go on for quite a while.I am sure it wont be Parkinsons, but its best to get it checked out by someone just to put your mind at rest.Huggles from Katy
  6. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I was just searching for muscle posts and am glad I found this one. I go through periods where my arms and legs are so weak and shaky I have to stay in bed. For the longest time I thought I had MS or something else and I saw a neuro last year who did an MRI and an EMG and said everything was fine. Nothing neuromuscular going on. Must just be part of the CFS. I hate it! I can barely type right now.