Music to My Ears!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Sep 24, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

This is off-topic, but I'm very excited about this and wanted to share this with someone.

I don't know whether I've mentioned it previously, but I'm an amateur musician/composer (mostly composer; I don't perform publicly, and I can no longer sing, due to throat damage from acid reflux). I have posted MP3 versions of a number of my original songs and longer works to MP3.com.au, the Australian MP3 web site (though I'm not Australian). Every week, MP3.com.au does music charts, based on the number of times a track is downloaded or streamed (listened to online). Sort of the equivalent of radio and record charts.

I was thrilled last December to discover that "As Heaven Weeps," the tone poem I wrote to commemorate the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S., was #1 in the Contemporary Classical genre. It stayed at #1 for about 4 weeks and has remained in the top 10 or 20 in that genre for most of the year. But about four weeks ago, it jumped back up to #1, and it started climbing in the overall rankings, too. As of today, I was bowled over to see that "As Heaven Weeps" not only remains #1 in Contemporary Classical but also has reached #181 overall-- out of 23,940 tracks!

People seem to be listening to my other songs as well. (I like a variety of musical styles, and my MP3 tracks include a wide variety of genres.) Both of my "albums" now rank in the top 100 (out of 3,030 albums at the site). And MP3.com.au now ranks me #29 out of 5,610 artists with music at the site.

All this gives me much more confidence in my musical ability. (As I said, I'm an amateur, and I'm mostly self-taught.) Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting very far with my recent attempts at playing or composing music, which bothers me a lot. I also have been having major sleep problems and more pain than the achiness I've felt in my neck and shoulders almost constantly for years. Maybe getting the sleep and pain problems under control will help me with the music, too. I'm still new to fibromyalgia, still trying to find the right doctors and treatments, and still trying to balance all that with dealing with my MS. I'm convinced that doing music has been therapeutic for me in recent years. I sure don't want to lose that.

(Hey, maybe this post isn't completely off-topic after all.)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

--Laura

P.S. If anybody is interested in listening to my music, the URL is http://www.MP3.com.au/LauraRemsonMitchell .
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

This is off-topic, but I'm very excited about this and wanted to share this with someone.

I don't know whether I've mentioned it previously, but I'm an amateur musician/composer (mostly composer; I don't perform publicly, and I can no longer sing, due to throat damage from acid reflux). I have posted MP3 versions of a number of my original songs and longer works to MP3.com.au, the Australian MP3 web site (though I'm not Australian). Every week, MP3.com.au does music charts, based on the number of times a track is downloaded or streamed (listened to online). Sort of the equivalent of radio and record charts.

I was thrilled last December to discover that "As Heaven Weeps," the tone poem I wrote to commemorate the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S., was #1 in the Contemporary Classical genre. It stayed at #1 for about 4 weeks and has remained in the top 10 or 20 in that genre for most of the year. But about four weeks ago, it jumped back up to #1, and it started climbing in the overall rankings, too. As of today, I was bowled over to see that "As Heaven Weeps" not only remains #1 in Contemporary Classical but also has reached #181 overall-- out of 23,940 tracks!

People seem to be listening to my other songs as well. (I like a variety of musical styles, and my MP3 tracks include a wide variety of genres.) Both of my "albums" now rank in the top 100 (out of 3,030 albums at the site). And MP3.com.au now ranks me #29 out of 5,610 artists with music at the site.

All this gives me much more confidence in my musical ability. (As I said, I'm an amateur, and I'm mostly self-taught.) Unfortunately, I don't seem to be getting very far with my recent attempts at playing or composing music, which bothers me a lot. I also have been having major sleep problems and more pain than the achiness I've felt in my neck and shoulders almost constantly for years. Maybe getting the sleep and pain problems under control will help me with the music, too. I'm still new to fibromyalgia, still trying to find the right doctors and treatments, and still trying to balance all that with dealing with my MS. I'm convinced that doing music has been therapeutic for me in recent years. I sure don't want to lose that.

(Hey, maybe this post isn't completely off-topic after all.)

Anyway, thanks for letting me share.

--Laura

P.S. If anybody is interested in listening to my music, the URL is http://www.MP3.com.au/LauraRemsonMitchell .
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Good for you!

You are an inspiration to the rest of us, I really want to work again but I need to find a different "niche" as I was in advertising, marketing. I am convinced I have other talents I just need to figure out what that would be.

I hope you can continue to have success with your music, we all need to feel worthwhile, not to mention that you made a contribution to others with your music.

Jaci
  4. Carlacat

Carlacat New Member

So happy for you. As they say God works in strange ways.I will check out your site cause I love music.
    Carla
  5. sarah

sarah New Member

Felt I had to reply as I've been visiting mp3.com a lot recently. I've been on the Music for the Media composer's course for about 18 months, but have found it hard to write for all this time. I've been looking at the Film Music Network stuff and at all the composing jobs advertised on the mp3 website. Like you I find writing therapeutic when I can do it, and having a direction also therapeutic. I've had a bad neck for years too. Congratulations on your chart successes. I would like to hear your music too. I was interested in using the mp3 but must admit, don't know much about it, and haven't managed to work out how to do it yet!
    Good luck in your work and health.
    Sarah.
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I may have heard your song??not sure but I'll check it out~(it sounds familiar as I go there to hear songs sometimes)My boyfriend has a few songs there also and they get some play time.They are Tha Vibe.Soft rock.
    Nice going!Sleep well........
    Tracey
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks to all who have responded on this thread. I just wanted to clarify that my music is posted at MP3.com.au, NOT at MP3.com. MP3.com.au is the Australian version of MP3.com. (I like the way they deal with artists at MP3.com.au better than the information I got from MP3.com.)

Once again, the URL is: http://www.MP3.com.au/LauraRemsonMitchell

Thanks for your interest.

--Laura

[This Message was Edited on 09/25/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2002]
  8. sheiba

sheiba New Member

that's wonderful laura! keep up the good work!! maybe the writing could be a therapy kinda thing for you. but, i'm very happy for you. that's quite an accomplishment! yeah for you! :-D