must be a HARD WINTER in Chicago....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Feb 25, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

A friend just sent me this... I'm originally from the area, so can totally relate... as I'm sure many of you elsewhere up north can too!

It's winter in Chicago
    And the gentle breezes blow,
    40 miles per hour
    At 32 below!

Oh, how I love Chicago
    When the snow's up to your butt,
    You take a breath of winter air
    And your nose is frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
    I guess I'll hang around,
    I could never leave Chicago
    'Cause I'm frozen to the ground

2. sheepwrestler

sheepwrestler New Member

I've never been to Chicago in the winter--now I know why!

Thanks for the laugh--

3. Callum

Callum New Member

... we've had a winter this "wintery".

I don't know, though - I guess if I had to shovel, and was thrown into a flare every time it snowed, I'd feel differently. But temperature extremes don't really bother me.

And Chicago is such an amazing city from May to October, that the rest is worth it!

GREAT POEM, Victoria! Thanks for sharing!

4. victoria

victoria New Member

But Callum, it used to be this wintery...

back when I was a kid, all thru the 1950s, almost all but maybe one Christmas was white. Stats have shown that number has decreased every decade since, so that now it's relatively rare.

My mother used to tell me about her childhood memory of, when a good part of Lake Michigan froze, they were able to skate out quite a ways, way back maybe around 1918, not sure exactly (she was born 1912).

sigh, yes, I'm a bit older... only wised up enough to move south to enjoy the more temperate winters 30 years ago...

SO for me, it is a great place to be from and to play tourist in... I am so happy so many of my friends/family remained there so I could easily go back and have fun... when the weather's good!

[This Message was Edited on 02/26/2008]
  5. Callum

Callum New Member

The same was true of my "hometown", Flint, Michigan (insert joke here). In the early 70's, when I was a tot, we would get so much snow that I could step over our fence. And the snow would be there through mid-April. Started changing in the mid-eighties, and by the 90's, we would get one or two storms a year.

I don't enjoy going back and playing tourist in Flint...