MUST READ - Obituary in local paper

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Jun 10, 2005.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

A previous resident of this area died in Minot, ND of complications from fibromyalgia........ I did not know that one could die from complications of FM, is this something else I need to worry about??? As she is only 4 yrs older than I am.

I thought this DD was not deadly?!? Anyone ever heard of this?
    [This Message was Edited on 06/10/2005]
  2. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think it was a misunderstanding. This dd of ours is not fatal. She may have had a co-existing condition, or developed pneumonia (which can be very fatal), if so it was that which killed her and NOT the fibromyalgia.

I hope somebody sets that newspaper straight.

Michelle
  3. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

It was not an article, so it was written by the family - most likely the husband.

Said "womans name 35 died from complications of fibromyalgia......."[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2005]
  4. darude

darude New Member

Says what people with cfs/fms died of! Lots due to complications of these diseases. My friend with fms died earlier this year and they put due to complications of FMS. ????????? Maybe Dr, Cheney is right with his heart theory. Also I think our liver gets damaged from the meds.
    If moderators say OK will post website. let me know guys some very interesting info on our brothers and sisters.[This Message was Edited on 06/10/2005]
  5. 1susan

1susan New Member

Sometimes it helps bring closure to families to put a name on what took their loved one or maybe they just don't want it known through the newspaper how she died. Sad possibility but if she was suffering from fibromyalgia, what ever she died from, I'm sure it didn't help. Anything I've ever read though, concludes that this is not a fatal disease. Don't worry!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

Unfortunately we shall all expire one day. When? No One knows. But lets not get caught up in how for now. If this disease is fatal sometimes ok. A cold could be fatal if there is complications. Lets celebrate living!

Take care :)
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Maybe her husband wrote up the obit and that is the only thing that he could remember that was wrong with her -- because she probably talked about it more than anyting else! So he just assumed it was complication from it.

You know, men are really so clueless sometimes!

Anyway, whatever ..... I am sorry for his loss. The loss of your spouse is tragic enough, regardless what the cause of death is from.
  8. lil45

lil45 New Member

i knew somebody who died, she had fm, she died from septic poisioning as she had a water infection and thought the pain she was suffering with was part of the fm.
  9. darude

darude New Member

A lot put everything down to FMS/CFS and there is something else going on. Strange now i know have lesions and tumour i'm ready to go to ER at any time. Agree with Stevie heart is a muscle have to take seriously. Too many people docs, family and friends don't take these DX seriously. I read an article recently that said FMS/CFS can be as bad if not worse than some forms of MS. This was written by doctor and asked if he had a choice what would he rather have he said MS - mmm shocked me I can tell you.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is the mitochondrias' inability to make energy. That is why we are tired. It's all semantics. If we allow it, we can let our illnesses scare us.

There is no doubt in my mind that severe complications of our illnesses could cause death, but I think this is rare. My Mom had FMS and lived to 92. Many of us are senior citizens.

I do think that many with our illnesses do not take care of themselves in terms of preventive care. How many do not get mammograms because they have been painful? How many do not get colonoscopies? How many do not get regular checkups at the dentist? There is a direct connection between oral bacteria and heart disease. Not only is pain a problem for many, but finances may be stretched and the preventive things fall by the wayside.

Right now, the best we can do is treat our symptoms, try to rebuild our immune and gut health, take preventive measures, and never assume any new symptom is FMS/CFIDS.

Dwelling on this obit, which probably was written by a family member, isn't helpful and scares newly diagnosed people. Even if this came from the death certificate, many death certificates are just plain wrong, especially if there was no autopsy, and there usually isn't.

I've had symptonms of my illnesses all my life. They were triggered full blown 14 years ago. Four years ago, I was bedridden most of the time and on Morphine. Because of treatments, I have made progress. I'm not well--yet, but I'm making progress. I do everything I can to lead a healthy life and expect to live a long time unless I get hit by a truck :)

There are no guarantees. Anyone can die at any time. Instead of dwelling on the negative side of this, it is far better to use it as a positive to live in the present and take from life everything we can.

Love, Mikie
  11. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Worry is something that I thought fms patients do as part of this sickness. I know that I'm a chronic worrier - no matter how hard I try not to be.

And I get upset about things more than I should. For instance, a month ago we got new neighbors. They have 2 dogs. In this subdivision, dogs are not allowed off of the property unless leashed.

Twice these dogs have run up to me in our driveway, and last night they ran up our guests as they were arriving. One dog is huge and the other small. They didn't jump on any of us, but I am afraid of dogs and we bought here because of the leash law. I rarely go anywhere but the back screened porch, but I'd like to know I could check the mail without dealing with their dogs.

Here's my point (finally):

My husband is planning to speak with the neighbors this morning (it's 7:35 a.m.right now), so later when he sees that they are up, he's going to show them the covenants. Instead of feeling better about the situation, I am still almost hysterical even knowing that in a matter of hours the problem will cease to exist. (I've had all night to stew on it.)

I cannot calm down until I know that these people have been told. I've had to take a Xanax and may have to take another one before all is said and done. And once they are told, I'll still have it on my mind for several days and will be "on guard" when I walk outside.

My uncle is a retired doctor. His mother and my grandmother were sisters. I know that my grandmother had fms because she was in pain her entire life and there was nothing wrong with her. My uncle's words to me were, "Your grandmother is a worrier, and you are a worrier. You must accept this and learn to deal with it as it is in your genes."

Even with THAT knowledge I still worry.

(Also, I am Baptist and know what the Bible says about worry, and I have to ask forgiveness and for help in stopping this worry thing, but here we are..........)

abbylee
  12. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

ridiculous. Worrying is not genetic.
  13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am the first to admit that I don't know if worrying is genetic or not. I wonder if there have been studies?

Many of us pick up trait's we have learned from our loved one's, who are our role model's, as we grow. I know this is true of me. I come from a LONGGGGGGGGGGGG line of worrier's! LOL

It is hard to not worry. This last six month's I've been trying to 'let up' on some issues. Sometime's I fumble, other time's I shine.

Take care all...

Kim

14. abbylee

abbylee New Member

It may be an old wives tale, but I didn't spend a lot of time around my grandmother as we lived in another state, and I'm told that my medical history closely matches hers. Even age by age. It's strange.

nancyneptune - are you a doctor or an old wife?

I think it's common knowledge that behavior characteristics are inherited just as physical and mental conditions. I was watching CSI Miami once and Caruso was talking to a member of a long-time crime family and the crime guy asked Caruso how he could stop his family's future from repeating the past. Caruso told him to stop reproducing.

One of my friends committed suicide. So had his father. My children's father was an abusive alcoholic. So were all of his sons. He had 7. The 4 girls married alcoholic abusers except for the youngest who sold drugs and prostituted herself to her son's friends.

hugs,

abbylee
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2005]
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Worrying, which is just another form of anxiety, can be a symptom of our illnesses. I had chronic anxiety and panic attacks which had no psychological aspect to them. When I started the Klonopin, the anxiety, worrying, and panic attacks disappeared. They can be caused by the seizure activity in our brains. Our illnesses are neurological in nature.

I've spoken her often about Klonopin and how much it has helped me with the anxiety, insomnia, sensory overload, muscle spasmas, and tinnitus. I believe it also helps disrupt the pain signals in the brain.

Yes, worrying can be genetic because our illnesses are genetic in nature. Our symptoms can easily be present in other family members even if they do not have our illnesses full blown.

It is precisely because we are prone to worry/anxiety that I believe we should not dwell on something like this. We need to keep an optimistic outlook and feel as though we are in control of our lives and health as much as possible. Klonopin has allowed me to take control over symptoms which used to keep me at home and in bed.

Love, Mikie
  16. tejanya

tejanya New Member

we do not have to accept what bad traditions of past generations. just because my mom was a certified nut does not make me one. i do worry sometimes, i get upset because of stupid things. that i found out is normal and just life. look at the positive things in your life. write it down, things will be hard to put down at first, but then the blessings will pour out. my dad was a shod horses, that does not make me one, but i can do it, it just choose to be around the animals. i believe that is my calling on that tradition.
  17. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I tried Klonopin when my doctor was still with Kaiser - back in the early to mid '90's. He gave me the lowest dose possible and it put me to sleep.

Unfortunately, I slept all night and at work the next day. The second night I cut the pill in half and had the same problem.

After trying 1/4 and seeing double, my doc told me to stop the drug.

I wish that I could take it - and Cymbalta - because I keep reading so many good things about them, but I can't.

My pain med - Methadone - is the only one that I can take other than demerol and after 4 years on demerol (which had stopped working), he changed me to Methadone.

It takes the edge off sometimes, but for the most part works little if any. I'm going to see my doc next week, and hope to ask for something else, but the only drug I've not tried is Oxycotin and with its reputation I don't want to take it - I already take Xyrem.

abbylee
  18. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I have never received so many replies to my posts. My ol man made a good point in that family members will put "died from complications from AIDS". I had not thought about that in that form. I again think that putting it in the obit was a form of getting the word out that fibro is real......
  19. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

died about two years ago , and her DOCTOR said in the obit that she died of complications of CFS. She was a prominent CFS activist/ educator and former nurse . When you consider most of us have VERY VERY low NK cell counts
    ( the white cells that fight infections and detect tumors )
    it is Conceivable . I think she developed cancer , but that probably was a result of the low NK count most of us
    have . It is a serious problem!!!
  20. scrappnmom

scrappnmom Member

Mikie, I noticed what you said about anxiety. You said that anxiety can be caused by the seizure activity in our brains. Do you, by any chance, have Epilepsy? The reason your statement caught my attention is because, I have Fibromyalgia and Epilepsy, and have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks for years. I have probably had seizures since I was about 10 or 11 yrs old, even though it wasn't dxd until 4 yrs ago. I have wondered if my going 40 yrs without my Epilepsy being dxd could have caused my problems with anxiety. Is this true? I'd love to hear from you about this.

Thanks!