MVP Awareness-How many have MVP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Moonshyne, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Just curious as to how many of you also have leaky heart valve issues?

I have 2 valve regurg issues...Mitral Valve Prolapse (mvp) and Tricuspid Valve -both regurg and from what i've read it seems many who have cfids or fibro also may have MVP... MVP runs in my family genetics.. my sister died from it - the ER says anyway. But in reality- we believe she wound getting a blood clot in her leg and the ER gave her the wrong meds--claiming had she told them she had MVP it could have been avoided. Just hoping to get some MVP awareness out there....

How many of you can relate to MVP? I'm not sure what the connection between CFS/Fibro & MVP is.. but I'm pretty sure there is one!

Symptoms that the Mitral or Tricupsid Valves are regurging too much blood are:

Chest Pain
    Shortness of Breath
    Swelling in legs, stomach or other body parts

If too much blood is released, it can cause heart failure.

In most cases MVP is not treated... it is not considered harmful unless the leaky valve begins to leak too much.
    But, many MVP symptoms are similar to CFS/Fibro..just be aware...!

Blessings to all..
  2. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

No there isn't much they can do about a slightly leaky valve, granted, but some of it's symptoms can be alleviated with beta blockers. And the most important thing to be aware of is the symptoms that the Mitral Valve is leaking too much ..which if not treated-- can cause heart failure-.

So the importance of knowing where you stand with your MVP is vital.

Do alittle reseach on it, and you'll see what I mean...or just ask if you have any questions.

Good luck, and I hope you can find a way to get checked!

3. Wasabi

Wasabi New Member

Yes, I have MVP.

It was first diagnosed when I was a child. I have since learned that my mother and my paternal grandmother both have heart murmurs too.

I have on my list to go to a cardiologist, because my MVP hasn't been checked in nearly eight years. I've heard that it should be checked every 2-3 years, just in case. Has anyone else heard that too?
  4. GBHope

GBHope New Member

and take Toprol XL 12.5 mg. It stops the heart racing and some of the other symptoms. I do still get palpitations though sometimes.

GBHope
  5. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

My heart doc says it should be checked annually....to make sure the valve isn't regurging too much blood..which would put you at risk.

6. Moonshyne

Moonshyne New Member

Forgot to mention, MVP can be congenital... most my family has it. All I know is it's from my mother's side of the family tree somewhere... And, A Heart murmur can be an indication of MVP- that's how my MVP was found.

So... you need to be gettin' an appointment to get that checked soon..!!

Good luck...

Moon..