My 17yearold kitty passed away, pic

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyoreblue02, Jun 11, 2006.

1. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

My cat, Patches, was the love of my life. She meant so much to me.

Patches had had diabetes for two years. In May we found out she had renal failure. The doctors told me should probably wouldn't live long.

She started declining this week. Spent a lot of time and money at the vet. She passed away Friday, June 9.

I put her pic in my profile so you can see her. I know she was just a common little cat, but I loved her so much and she was so good to me.

My son is out of town and doesn't even know about this yet. He is only 11, six years younger than the cat. I dread telling him. He will have a hard time dealing with this.

Linda
  2. azbubba

azbubba New Member

...to hear this. I think losing a life-long family pet is almost as stressful as losing a human family member. My condolences...and hope your son does ok with the news.

Bubba
  3. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I appreciate your concern. Bubba, you're right, losing a pet after 17 years hurts like losing a family member. She saw me through a divorce and remarriage and has moved with me several times. Through it all she stuck to me and loved me.

She was my alarm clock, my bed buddy, my co-worker. Every day as I worked she lay on my desk occasionally reaching down to the keyboard and adding her own gibberish to my documents.

Patti, I know you have a "pile" of kitties. Saw the photo. It's been a long time since I have seen babies that young. So innocent.

Welcome to the board, Bubba. I hope you like it here. I come here for comfort, not just from the pain of the FM, but also when life throws other curves my way.

Thanks again,

Linda
  4. mrsjethro

mrsjethro New Member

It is like losing a family member. I am so sorry for your loss. Animals can be such a wonderful comfort from everything that life hands us. I wish I could think of something comforting to say, but I'm at a loss for words. Good luck with telling your son. I know that is going to be very difficult for you and for him. Maybe you could explain "kitty heaven" to him and that she is not having any kind of pain or sickness any more. I actually have to look at it that way myself, and I'm quickly sneaking up on 40 years old. Good luck and let us know if there is anything we can do.
  5. kriket

kriket New Member

I am so sorry that you have lost your kitty. They are family members and are just as hard to lose. I know you will miss her. I lost a cat that I had 9 yrs. I can't imagine losing one that I've had for 17 yrs. I will be thinking about you.

Kriket
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I am so sorry to hear this about your kitty!! She was a beautiful cat!

((((((((HUGS))))))))

I feel sorry for your son too...I know he was close to her...

This makes me so sad...

You take care!

SherylD
  7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

to a loved cat...I've never had one for 17 years, but I have cried when they died. My mother-in-law has an 18 yr. old kitty, a loud Siamese, and when I call her on the phone, the cat chimes in and wails like it's dying. It is old, but has always wailed when she's on the phone!

I hope you and your son can look forward to better days- take care! Terri
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I have a 12 year old inside only cat and the oldest one I ever had was 14. I just don't know what to say because there really isn't any words to describe this.

Your cat is in a better place now. I hope you realize that. They stay around you in spirit all the time. :)

Big hugs,
    Faye
  9. pepper

pepper New Member

Patches was a beautiful cat.

We lost our 18 yr old cat in the year between losing my mom and my dad. Losing him was just as difficult as losing my parents. Only a pet owner could understand that.

I am so sorry for you and your son.

(((HUGS)))Pepper

10. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am so sorry you lost your friend. I am sending you soft hugs....

I am sure you have some great memories,

Karen
  11. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Donna, Mrs. Jethro, Hanginin, Kricket, SherylD, Terri, Faye, Pepper and Karen

We have so many pet lovers on this board. The response to my post has been tremendous.

Patches was a well-loved and spoiled little girl. My husband announced he did not like cats when I first met him. I told him to go away. Patches and the other cat I had then, Jack, won his heart. Hubby has been hurting too.

We have another cat, Dinky. He fell from the top of the kitchen cabinets last week. He hit the corner of the concrete countertops and then landed on his back on the ceramic tile floor. Nothing is broken but he is hurt. Vet gave him steroids for the pain and inflammation.

Dinky and Patches were not best friends, but he is noticing the emptiness in the house.

We're all sad, but it will be better. I've been looking at pictures and crying and remembering the funny things she did.

Thanks so much. You guys make me feel so loved.

Linda

12. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

Dear Linda,
    I am so very sorry for your loss. Our pets give us unconditional love and loyalty and we give them the same. I love the box Patches is in. Ours will sleep in any box we have and of course she has a favorite one.
    My most sincere sympathy to you and your family. I know your son will be alright after awhile. This is so hard...........I can't imagine.
    Love,
    Arlene
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  13. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

and, by the way...there are no "common little cats". I know! I have had (or been had by?) several!

God Bless.
  14. twerp

twerp New Member

First, there's just no such thing as a "common little cat". They are all distinct individuals, members of our family, and we love them so much.

I know how much it hurt to lose Patches. I had two cats, Punkin & Boogie, who lived to be 20 and 21. I lost them about 2 years apart.

It took a while, but about a year after the last one died, I was able to go to the pound and pick out two more furbabies. It will be some time before you will be able to do that.

In the meantime, please know that you are not alone and that we are thinking of you and hoping you will feel better soon.

Hugs,
    Twerp
  15. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Ohhh, bless your heart and also your son. I love my animals and can relate to the loss as I remember. I am so sorry and hope your son will deal with it in time.

Please forgive me for not viewing the picture; it will break my heart as well as I have very, very weak emotions.

God Bless You!

BlueSky555
  16. Cakedec

Cakedec New Member

So sorry to hear of your loss, Linda. We have been through that here once--with a 16 year old white male cat, who died a couple of years ago on my birthday!~ and will be again eventually with our Himalayan male, who is already 16 (but still healthy). My son had grown up with the white cat and couldn't remember a day without him. Neither he or I had any appetite for dinner that night.

I had taken him to the vet a couple days before; but it is such a difficult decision to make, to end the life, even for an animal. I can't even imagine having to make it for a human family member.

UNICORNK--Loved your poem, Rainbow Bridge, it brought tears to my eyes thinking of all the pets I have lost in my lifetime. There would be such a herd coming at me, I would be trampled down!

Deb
  17. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I am so sorry about Patches passing. What a pretty kitty.
    I hope you and your son will get though this OK. I know your grief is enormous, but it is good that Patches isn't in pain. ALL GOD'S CREATURES GO TO HEAVEN. You will be with Patches again. Love, Stacey
  18. kalley167

kalley167 New Member

I had a cat for 16 years we had to put her down she was so sick. I understand how you feel. I love all my animals. They are so much a part of our family.
    Sending hugs to you and your son.
  19. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

It is so hard when we lose our beloved pets.
    God bless,
    Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 06/12/2006]
  20. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I finally told my son. He was coming home today and I couldn't wait any longer. He cried the most pitiful, wailing cry. It was terrible. When we got home and his kitty didn't greet him at the door he cried some more.

He has a cousin spending the night with him and I am hoping this will ease his pain somewhat.

Arlene, most cats do love boxes. Patches used to try to stuff herself into a kleenex box. It was so funny.

BlueSky, it's okay if you don't look at the pic. I understand how sad it can make you feel. Mr. Jenks is adorable.

UnicornK, I had read Rainbow Bridge on here a while back and cried and cried because I knew my time was coming soon. Thank you for posting it again. It feels good to think of things that way. My son asked me if he could have Patches in Heaven. I told him that Heaven is a very happy place and since Patches made us happy I was sure she will be there.

Honora, I had a tom cat who lived to be 18. He passed away four years ago due to colon cancer. He still makes appearances in my home. I "feel" his silky fur. I still cry after four years. He was my baby. In fact, Patches grieved a long time after his death. She was 13 at that time and did not know life without him.

Twerp, 20 and 21 --- WOW!!!

Deb, 16 years is wonderful.

Kalley, I know it was a tough decision for you at 16. We are never ready to let them go. Our selfishness makes us want to hang on when they are ready to be allowed to go.

Stacey, Cuddle Bear is sooooo cute.

Sue, Fight4acure, Wakemeup, thank you for your kind words.

I hope I have not left anyone out. Each of you took your time to comfort me and I want to thank each and every one of you.

I know time will make things a bit better, but thank God the memories live on. They are precious.

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

I love you, each and every one,

Linda