my 18yr old son just left for boot camp

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by roseylisa, Sep 14, 2006.

1. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

My son joined the Air Force, really scares me with the war going on. I'm proud of him but scared for him also! Everytime I go near his room I break down. I am sure their must be others out their that have kids joining the military how do you deal with it?
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Congratulations on raising such a fine young man. I can't imagine how you deal with it except one day at a time and with pride.

Hugs,
    Marta
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and of course i did too..we were married at the time..no children...we were young then..

it will get better...

hugs to you

jodie
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just hang tight and be proud and know that people are proud with you, and scared, and not all marching to the same drummer, and we all have this same fear.

The airforce is a good outfit and I am sure he will be safe.

I once told another here that actually more young people are killed and injured in road accidents than in the military so please don't let this make you live in fear.

We went through this too and you know he will be fine. Wait till you see the muscles he gets. Throw out his clothes as nothing will fit him....

Love Anne
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

on submarine duety right now. he gets leave to come home Tuesday sept 19th. I can't wait to see him has been 2 years since he has been home.

hE CALLS EVERY CHANCE HE GETS AND E-MAILS ME TO AND i E-MAIL HIM. From my experience They don't send newbies to war right away he may never see combat because he has to be trained first.

Depending on what feild of duty he chooses he may never go to war if he is a mechanic on planes or air traffic control something along that line he probably won't see war.

Son from a family of military, his dad, grandfather, Grand mother, 5 uncles so It isn't all that bad.

I cried for weeks when my son left but when I went to his boot camp Graduation I was so proud of the young man he had become. and cried tears then to.

All my love and prayers are with you.
  6. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

My son joined the Air Force almost a year ago exactly.

I didn't cry though... I thought it was such a responsible and mature decision, and I'm so proud of him. Really puffed up proud.

To me, I raised him to be an adult and he's doing a fine job of it. The career path he chose is something he really wants to do so I'm proud of him for making it happen.

My son still has at least half of a year of school left, then on to a few others before he even begins his job training.

Maybe it's because my son was already out of the house for a few years and in college that makes our situations different.

If your son just left the house, I have a few words of advice.....

Cry, grieve and cry some more. You cry for all the times you didn't have time to cry when they were little kids. It should take a few days at least to get all of the tears you've held back through the years out.

Then sit back, wipe your eyes and congratulate yourself on a job well done!!!!!!!!!

Your child is now an adult, with a mature career path in front of him and you should be proud of yourself for raising him so well.

Hugs,

Nancy B