My 8 y/o son has a swollen bite area..6 weeks later

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by LilacMoon, Jul 2, 2007.

  1. LilacMoon

    LilacMoon New Member

    Hello there,

    My son is only 8 years old. He had 6 tick bites in about a 10 day period. This happened 6 weeks ago. The last tick removed had a white spot in it. I threw the tick out after I had him checked out at the doctors.

    But now he said his groin hurts and the tick bite area is swollen up like a bubble. He says he just feels awful and he has not felt well for a couple weeks. His said his muscles hurt and he does get a lot of headaches. (The headaches are usually allergy related).

    What kind of doctor should he see? Or should I just wait to see what happens?

    Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.
  2. jarjar

    jarjar New Member

    I'm not sure where you live but your need to get your son to a Dr. that is lyme aware. You might want to post in the Seeking a Dr. Section on the Lymenet site.

    Muscles hurting and headaches sounds very lyme like.

    The most important thing is that you act fast as I know people that caught lyme in the early stages and were cleared up with Doxcylene. Don't delay searching out a Dr. that knows how to treat lyme.

    If you do not have a lyme doc close by see if your family doc can prescribe some Doxy to see if it stops it in its tracks. Often this happens when caught early.
  3. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    It is important to treat this quickly. Your son has had a lot of bites and sounds like he has contraced lyme. If you get this treated ASAP it will prevent the chronic lyme setting in which is much harder to treat.

    Jarjar has great advice. Find a doctor who understands lyme and who will proscribe abx ASAP.

    Good luck!!
  4. victoria

    victoria New Member

    my son has chronic lyme, dx'd at 17, but obviously had had it for years. We were not so lucky as to get any rash or obvious signs ever.

    I hope you are seeing your doctor today! Please keep us posted, I am hoping you can get this resolved ASAP - time is of the essence, do NOT let it go 'to see what happens'.

    all the best,
    Victoria

  5. LilacMoon

    LilacMoon New Member

    I took him to the Dr. today and he said he had enough symptoms to go ahead and start 10 days of Amoxicillin. He said he thought Amoxicillin would be a good enough start while we were waiting for the Lyme Titer test results.

    I'm hoping the Amoxicillin will help because the other meds supposedly could stain his teeth that are coming in. My son just had a checkup at the Dentist and he has 12 teeth coming in, so I am hoping he won't need the stronger meds.

    Thanks so much for your replies.
  6. victoria

    victoria New Member

    10 days is not even the controversial IDSA's recommendations - which is 21 days (and neither is considered long enough, as twinofdar says).

    all the best,
    Victoria