My Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa is stuck?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by code34me, Apr 24, 2006.

1. code34me

code34me New Member

Does aaaaaaaaaaaanyone know what to to when you child haaaaaaaaas spilled somthing in the keyboaaaaaaaaard and the buttons are sticking? Teenagers!!!!! LOL

Codey
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

Ah, Codey, the joys of raising teens!

I think I would get the teakettle or pot of water steaming, and using oven mitts, hold keyboard upside down over the steam, they keep upside down until dry, then use q-tips to dry around keys some more...

Don't think I'd immerse in water....

Aren't they pretty cheap to buy, in case you need a new one???

BAN all drinks near the keyboard!!!

Good luck....
    findmind
  3. Holly-Admin

Holly-Admin Administrator

I wouldn't recommend getting the keyboard near water or steam. Either could cause more damage, which could in turn cause damage to your computer.

You can try removing the key itself and cleaning around (it should pop right off).

Otherwise you may want to get a new one. You can find keyboards for as little as $20 now.

Holly
    ProHealth Tech Support
  4. code34me

code34me New Member

I will try to pop off key in aaa minute. We are going to town in aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bit so mabey just get aa new one! The shift key and the z key are also effected. Oh and yes drinks aaaaaaaaaaaaaaare going to be band for sure!

I could have backedspaced to make this look better for you but then you would not get the whole effect! It sorta reminds me of a sheep typing (baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) :)

Thaaaank you all love Codey :)

LOL LOL LOL what else can we do?
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  5. mariee

mariee Member

So sorry about your "A"

I have had a tough day, and your post made me smile!
    I have 2 adorable grandsons ( 1 and 3) who love the "fishees" on my 'puter, so all sorts of stuff happens to mine. they jam up the puter and go "uh, oh". I taught them to say that instead of screaming.....

I just want to thank you for making me laugh....
    Hope it is not toooo frustrating for you.
    Marie
  6. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I wish I had posted about my keyboard problem. My 105 lb. lab stepped on mine and popped off 2 keys and caused the n and space bar to stick. I have beat and beat on that n and had to correct so many words because they would all run together.

I had no idea you could buy keys. My husband just bought another computer. He could not stand to hear me beat on it any more. It did have other problems but this would have saved my thumb from a lot of work.

What a great message board!!!
  7. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I used to buy extra keyboards because I'm always spilling in them. I get the $12 ones from Fry's Electronics, not fancy but have pretty soft keys. I'm lucky I haven't ruined my laptop (4 years knock on wood).
  8. sheriw

sheriw New Member

I've taken my keyboard apart more than once to clean it. Lots of little pieces inside.

sheri
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

You get another keyboard. lol I was putting the powder Crystal Light in bottled water up here near my keyboard and apparently some of the powder has drifted in the keyboard and the keys were sticking.

Luckily I have another keyboard that was older that some of the letters on the keyboard are coming off. So I'm using that one now until my son can get to the Apple Store to get me another new keyboard one day.

Now when I put the powder into the bottle I do it behind myself on top of the small refrigerator I have in here.

I've never had anything liquid to get into the keyboard.

Hey, Codey, enjoy shopping for a new keyboard tomorrow. lol Always a good idea to key a spare one on hand just for problems like that, I have found out.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Faye
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  10. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

Yay, another mac user!
  11. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Tinypillar,
    I love my Mac too. I have a desktop and it is 3 years old. I want to get a laptop too but they are so expensive. I'd be better off to wait since I do have a desktop Windows computer too.

I only do mail on the Mac because of the worms and viruses, etc. We are just so much safer on a Mac.

Good to see another Mac user. :)

Sorry to butt in on Codey's post.

Hugs,
    Faye
  12. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I've been using Macs for over 10 years - it's hobby and a job for me :) I also build my own computers and use windows and a few types of linux builds (Ubuntu is my latest favorite). My boyfriend and I are true computer nerds.
  13. code34me

code34me New Member

Nice to see it went somewhere, you never know what people will respond to and wont! LOL

Codey

P.S. still sticking but backspaceing alot!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2006]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2006]
  14. code34me

code34me New Member

I got a new one and OMG it is cool! It is a Microsoft wireless comfort keyboard and mouse! I feel like I am moving up in the world with this fancy keyboard! Funny what we can get so excited about!

Got it at Wall Mart it was 69.00! But I am all for comfort and it is comfortable and smooth!

Thanks all!

Take care of you! Codey
    [This Message was Edited on 04/27/2006]
  15. sues1

sues1 New Member

Since you have a new one now....why not experiment with the old one?

I have been told that keys are easy to pop off and replace. I never have. Maybe it is only certain key boards?

A gal I knew attended a computer class where they spoke on cleaning their computers...........on keyboards they said to
    of course, unattach it.....take it to your shower....pour a bottle (that seems like too much, bubbles would chase you out of the bathroom? So must be a certain amount)of Joy (something mild) on it......and then turn on the shower and let it run on the keyboard until the water ran clear and no more suds.

Turn it upside down on a folded towel and let it dry a day or two......hook it back up then and it should be fine.......

Of course neither of us has had the nerve to try it. But I never had a spill on mine either.
    Susan
    I went to search engine and entered: Keyboard Sticky Wash
    and got quite a few hints.....

16. sues1

sues1 New Member

Cleaning your keyboard

Q. I was advised by my company IT expert to wash my keyboard in the dishwasher. Have you ever heard of this? He said it was the recommended way to clean the keyboard.--Merrily

A. This may be shocking, but people do wash keyboards in the dishwasher. What's more, the results are often successful. And what's even more surprising, never before has a person sent me a computer question and had it become part of a newspaper column. I guess it helps when that person is a newspaper editor and columnist. More about that in a moment.

Now, I wouldn't recommend cleaning your keyboard like this except as a last resort. If you're going to throw out the keyboard anyway, you might try it. You'll have nothing to lose.

Use the top shelf of your dishwasher and don't use dishwashing powder. The soap can leave residue on the key contacts and circuitry. The keys will stick or won't work correctly. Use the dishwasher's rinse cycle and don't use heat to dry it.

Before you can use the keyboard again, it needs to dry thoroughly. This will take several days. Otherwise, when you reconnect it, the water will fry the circuitry.

Even though others claim success, I would try other methods first. And if you have a laptop, it obviously can't go in the dishwasher.

You can use canned air to blow out debris between the keys. A mini vacuum cleaner designed for electronics also works well. You might also want to invest in a small brush. This is particularly useful if you have a dog or cat that sheds. You can find all of these things at an electronics store.

To remove dirt from the keys themselves, use a damp cloth. Make sure the computer is off and the keyboard is unplugged first. Cotton swabs and a cleaning solvent will work between the keys. Make sure the keyboard dries completely before using it again.

For most people, this should be enough. However, if you've spilled something sticky on it, try the dishwasher. Alternatively, you can buy a keyboard for about $10. It won't be a fancy one, but it will do the trick.

If you're fastidious or have an expensive keyboard, buy a keyboard cover. These are plastic sheets that cover the keys and allow you to type at the same time. Best of all, you don't need to worry about spills!

You can find Web sites that sell custom keyboard covers. They even make them for laptops. Viziflex, ProtecT and CompuCover sell them for about $15. Their Web sites are, respectively:
    http://tinyurl.com/pi80

I am not sure if I would try that.......Susan

17. code34me

code34me New Member

Well... I wish I had a dish washer but sad to say I am the dish washer :( I am going to take your advice on the keyboard cover because it was expensive to me and that would realy help to protect it and remind daughter that it is a precious thing to mom! LOL

Thanks Sues1

Codey

Oh P.S. I am letting my son (3 years old) have the old keyboard. He asked if he could have it and I said yes. He pretended to hook it up and now mabey he can use his while mommy is trying to use hers? He is so funny and smart he says "his puter has a puter virus" and I said a what, and he said it again! I have no idea where he got that one from? He always says things that 3 year olds should not be thinking about!
  18. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I haven't tried the dishwasher method myself, but I've heard that works too. If the keyboard is already "broken" it can't hurt, and as long as it's completely dry before you hook it back up to your computer, it won't hurt it.

I forgot to mention, one thing I've done that works is pop off the keys and use some rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip to clean off the spills. It evaporates pretty fast so you don't have to worry about dry time.