my ANA is 1:80

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Sep 17, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and the explanation says it is a borderline finding. It's been "more positive" before, but that was a long time ago. This is a homogenous or smooth pattern and the antigen detected was DNA...suggested disease association is SLE.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom on whether or not I have Lupus as I've been told years ago, or some other mysterious "collagen-vascular, auto-immune, connective tissue disease???"
    You know, these tests are just too wishy-washy....CAN mean this and MAY mean that....how are we to EVER know WHAT is wrong with us? I've been just treating the symptoms for years and I'd LOVE to know exactly WHAT this demon's name is! I do know I have Fibro and CF, but what's with this ANA?
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and the explanation says it is a borderline finding. It's been "more positive" before, but that was a long time ago. This is a homogenous or smooth pattern and the antigen detected was DNA...suggested disease association is SLE.
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom on whether or not I have Lupus as I've been told years ago, or some other mysterious "collagen-vascular, auto-immune, connective tissue disease???"
    You know, these tests are just too wishy-washy....CAN mean this and MAY mean that....how are we to EVER know WHAT is wrong with us? I've been just treating the symptoms for years and I'd LOVE to know exactly WHAT this demon's name is! I do know I have Fibro and CF, but what's with this ANA?
    Love,
    Kady
  3. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

mine was all between 1-2, they tested several different levels under the category of "ANA Profile", this is to determine lupus, accdg to my paperwork from the lab it must be higher than 20 to be positive for lupus, between 1-19 are acceptable ranges, that is all I know about that.

Jaci
  4. xo4damama

xo4damama Member

I spent 5 years in the wishy washy place you are now. When you said your ANA has been more positive what was the range? I am not too sure what the other post was refering to, but 1:40 & 1:80 is usually considered borderline..which does not help you one bit, right??? With the homogeneous pattern it is usually only criteria for SLE with higher titers than what you are showing.

In order for you to be dx with lupus your other blood work must be postive, or you must have some specific organ damage caused by the antibodies.

You mentioned the DNA. Was that the anti-dna or the anti-dsdna maybe? Have you had your sed rate tested or your CRP? What did they show? What other tests have you had run and what were their levels? The ANA is helpful, but alone it really does not mean much. It only indicates that you do have some sort of autoimmune condition going on in your body..It could be anything from thyroid, to fibro.

Having a borderline ANA does not need to keep you in wishy washy land though. There is no reason why you cannot receive treatment if you actually have symptoms. having that little Connective tissue disease label does not get you any closer to knowing what the future will bring, but with the right doctor it will get you on the road to feeling better. You dr can still treat you as if you were in full blown SLE. The medication can control the symptoms even before the blood tests show what you truly have.

Good luck. I hope this was some help to you