My Aunt passed away today from liver cancer

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Aug 11, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

My aunt back home in Sweden passed away from liver cancer. Her mom (my grammy) also passed from liver cancer.

I start to wonder about hereditary amidst the grief.

Think of my family back home, she had a close knit family, 2 daughters and grand children.

Thanks

Lena
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm sorry, dear one, it is harder and harder as each family member leaves us, isn't it??

How old were your grammy and aunt?

I don't know about liver cancer being hereditary, but its possible, I guess.

Two of my uncles died of colon cancer, so I keep a close watch on myself because of that.

Much sympathy to you and your loved ones. I hope you will know we're thinking of you.

findmind

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm glad she had a close family around her when she passed. I will say a prayer for ALL of you...

(((Hugs)))
    Pam
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

It's always hard to lose a loved one, but it seems especially hard when that loved one is so far away. I lost an aunt two years ago...who lived 800 miles away. That was hard. I can't imagine how much you must be hurting.

Do you have family here that you can talk to? That might ease the pain a little.

You have my prayers.

God Bless.
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Yes, it's hard to loose family when so far away. The hardest was loosing my step dad 5 years ago, I loved him as much as my own father (is still alive).

I promised myself to go home to be with my parents (if I'll ever get the funds) so I will never have to go thru that again. I could not manage having them "go" and not be there, it would just be too much to handle.

It sure gets harder as time pass, and you realise you're getting older yourself. So many reflections.

Thanks for prairs and support
  6. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

My prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

God Bless You,

BlueSky555
  7. keke466

keke466 New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very hard losing family members especially when they're so far away. I was very close to my dad's mom's and his sister. The only aunt and grandma we really ever knew so was very close to them. My grandma died 6yrs. ago and my aunt 3yrs. ago now. Found my aunt on the bathroomfloor,she had a heart attack,was 61. My granny was in the nursing home for a few yrs and I worked there for awhile and took care of her.
    Before she passed I started working out of town on the night shift and every morning when I would get home I would stop by there and see her. After she passed for quite awhile I would drive to the nursing home and not realize what I was doing till I got there and remembered she was gone. Boy it took me awhile to get out of that habit.

Then after my aunt passed I would drive by the cemetery every morning,it was on my way home,took me awhile to stop that also. I finally realized I was just making myself hurt more so I had to stop. It is very hard sometimes when you lose someone and you feel like they were all you had in the way of support. But time does heal in a way.

Take care,Keke
  8. ytneluk

ytneluk New Member

I'm sorry
    Huggs
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm so sorry about your Aunt's passing. I have Cirrhosis
    of the Liver from a Genetic blood disorder of Northern
    European origin. I also have a much higher poss. of liver
    cancer as a result of the diseased liver. It is called
    Hemachromatosis or "Ironoverload" found among the Celts
    many French and Scandanavian Countries as well. Point is
    it would not be a bad idea for you to be tested via
    a simple blood test to evaluate iron and Ferriten levels.

Just a suggestion out of concern for the possiblity here.
    Hope you are doing well as well as your young chrildren.

MRDAD
  10. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I will take a serious look into this.

Thanks for the tip! The info is greatly appreciated, my family is not good at keeping track on health history. Me- a 60's child- tend to research and question everything,,,LOL! It's important for our children to know.

Many thanks
  11. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am so sorry for you and your family lost your aunt.

Thinking of you,

Karen
  12. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

hugs

jodie
  13. 1horse

1horse New Member

I am so sorry for your loss..my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family... hugs peggy
  14. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lena:

So sorry for your loss. My father died of liver cancer in 1990, at the age of 57. He also had lupus and RA. He was also an alcoholic. I understand your worry about genetic connections. I am not a drinker, but have liver disease caused by far too much advil for far too many years. I also have RA and cannot take any of the usual RA medications due to my poor liver function.

I hope that your aunt's family as well as your own is able to help each other through the grief.

Ingrid
  15. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

You and your family will be in my prayers!
    God bless,
    Angela
  16. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thank you, I feel good about the support here.

Ingrid,

My step-father had liver cancer and he never drank, he was a hard working director of Swedens largest news paper (gotta brag, LOL!). The problem with him was that he never went to the doctor. By the time he went, he was so sick, and the cancer had spread too far. He had a transplant, but it didn't work. They believe it was 30 some years of inhaling fumes from the presses that caused it. If he would have went to the doc. when symptoms started- he probably would have made it. But as I see it, it is chosen when and how we leave. I feel peace with his passing 5 years ago.

Many thanks to all of you,

Lena
  17. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My prayers to you and your family.It must have really increased your fibro pain.I hope things get better for you.Linda
  18. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lena:

I was upset by post telling you to "stick to the subject". I posted my own topic called Compassion?. I just wanted to tell you directly that I support you, and hope you know that there are many on this board who do as well.

Hope that one person's inappropriate comment does not diminish the support, information, understanding, etc. you (as well as all of us) get from this board.

Ingrid
  19. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

It did sting a bit, but I have to understand it's a new member.

Thank you all, you guys make me all teary-eyed!!

Big Fibrohugs
  20. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Lena, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Marta