My beloved cat Bertie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Evadyl, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Hi everyone,

I am sooooo sad right now. I just found out last night that my darling cat Bertie was killed on the road early on Thursday morning. I am gutted to say the least. I am going to miss him so much.

I had put up notices in the local shops to see if anyone may have seen him and then last night decided to look at the lost and found website. There was a notice there about a black cat with white whiskers and white 'socks' on his hind legs that had been killed on the road. It was on the motorway almost 2 miles from my home. I was so hoping that it wasn't him because he's always near home, even when I'd call him if he was out he'd appear within mins, secs sometimes but when I spoke to the lady who found him everything matched his description down to his blue collar with fish on it. She had put him as female on the website but she made this mistake due to the fact that he had been neutered. She said that there wasn't a mark on him and that she had taken some pics on her camera and would email them on to me so that I would be able to confirm that it was indeed my little munchkin Bertie. Those few mins waiting for those pics were horrible and then when I saw them I knew straigtaway it was my baby. Thankfully for all the world he looked like he was asleep.

Anyway even though I am so upset right now I am so impressed with this lady. She stopped her car on a busy motorway because she saw that he had a collar on and like she said knew that he was somebodys baby. Not only that she lifted him into her car and took him to her vets where he's at now. I will be able to get him back on Monday and can bury him in my back garden. I am so thankful for that as I feel that I have him home again.....albeit not in the way I wanted but thanks to her he wasn't left on the roadside. Who knew there were such caring people out there.

I just had to share my sad news with everyone. I miss him sooooo much already. This morning was the first morning that I looked into the garden and realised that there was no chance that he might have returned during the night. Bertie has been my companion during some of the dark days with this illness. He's snuggled beside me in bed when I've being feeling crummy and he's been my right hand man. I'll be lost without him but am glad that I got to have him in my life. He was born in my bedroom too believe it or not. I still have his Mom but he was my baby.

Anyway I know there are people out there with much bigger problems but am just feeling saaaaaaad today.

Take care

2. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

So sorry about your kitty. I know how hard it is to deal with. It's good you still have his mom though. She'll be a comfort to you.

We lost our cat last Dec. just before Christmas. It was so heartbreaking for my husband and me too. He was 18 years old and had been suffering with feline diabetes for about three years. We had to let him go. All our kids are grown and gone so he was like our baby.

We tried to adopt another kitty a week later but I had a bad allergic reaction to her so we took her back. This hurt too. I guess I've developed an allergy. I don't understand it, and I love cats. That was a very nice lady to do what she did.

Hope you feel better soon. GB66

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Bertie. Yes, the lady who called was awfully nice
    to notify you.

Have you read The Rainbow Bridge? I found it very comforting when
    my cat died two years ago. Here is the site.

4. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Oh what grief we walk through with the loss of a dear pet. They are such friends. Sorry.
  5. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I had a hard time even reading this thread - so I can imagine how tough it is for you rt now.....our pets are family and it is so hard to lose thoughts are with you....hugs
  6. quanked

quanked Member

loss of your beloved pet. I appreciate your grief. I lost my beloved dog Kiki (she was with me over 15 years) over a month ago now. Somedays the loss is more than I can deal with.

I would guess that the lady who found your pet has sustained such a loss before. She knew how much it would mean to the cat's person that someone cared enough to care for the deceased pet. It was so kind of her to take the time.

I understand your pain.
  7. Evadyl

Evadyl New Member

Just had to come back on to thank everyone for all their kind words and thoughts. I also wanted to say I'm so sorry for those of you who've lost their darling's such a wrench. Thanks a million to Rock for the link to the Rainbow Bridge site. I've had a look on there and it's definitely helped.

I got my baby home yesterday and he is now occupying a top spot in my garden under my plum tree. He loved climbing that tree so I thought he'd like that spot.

Am missing him loads today as it's the first day I've been all alone since he's been gone and usually he'd be sitting right next to me. It's unbelieveable how attached we get to these gorgeous little creatures.

I met the lovely lady yesterday who found Bertie on the roadside. She was fabulous. She brought him back home to me and I was able to see him one last time thanks to her. He looked fine, there wasn't a mark on him. She told me that she believes it was instant and that he didn't suffer so that's a great comfort to me. She was so upset herself and told me that if she hadn't found his owner she was going to take him home and bury him in her garden....which would have been such a nice gesture. She does some voluntary work in an animal shelter so I gave her a small donation for there and also some food for her two kitties and some chocs for herself. She so didn't want to take anything so I had to insist. We've agreed to stay in touch so I suppose "every cloud has a silver lining" and all that She's such a nice caring person and if it wasn't for Bertie I never would have got to meet her. She even text me last night to make sure I was ok.

Anyway just wanted to update ye all.

Sleep tight my little honey Bertie. I'll never forget you xxxxxx

Take care

Love Evadyl
  8. Exfa

Exfa New Member

I want to recommend a book called "Cold Noses at the Pearly Gates" written by Gary Kurz. He has a website at Cold Noses.......this book helped me tremendously and I have recommended it to many others and they all said it helped soooooo much. Take care........exfa
  9. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I can relate to what your feeling, the grief is overwhelming. Please take care.

10. Spacey

Spacey Member

I'm sorry to hear about Bertie. I hope you can relax and try to remember the good things. Spacey
  11. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

My dog Whisky was poisoned, and I won't go into the details, because I am unable to handle the whole thing. I felt suicidal for at least a week, and after that I became so physically sick that I was bedridden and I lost control of my bladder twice. Of course a lot of other things had happened before that, so Whisky's death was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Also, I have very little social life and no support from family, so my dogs were my family. His death really threw me off course, esp. since my Dad died in August of 08.

May God forgive me, but I have had horrible thoughts about the lady whom (we are pretty sure--but have no hard evidence) poisoned him. I have wished that her trailer be hit by lightning, etc.

Don't let anyone underestimate your grief for Bertie. Thank goodness for the lady who found him, but how sad. M
  12. misskoji

misskoji Member

I am so sorry for your loss. My pets are my absolute best friends and family in the universe.
    They give love so unconditionally. I'm sure your cat was lucky to have you.

Give yourself time to grieve.

13. zeowa

zeowa New Member

It took me a while to click on this thread because I feared it would be about a cat passing and it makes me think of my wonderful 19-year-old asthmatic who I worry over and have loved more than any other 'being' on this planet. I hope you're able to have some peace now that you've recovered him and were able to bury him in a special place. I'm so glad someone took the time to look out for him, and to make sure he'd find his way back to you.

Nothing and no one comes close to the love of a beloved pet. Be well,

p.s. Condolences to you as well luvdogs...[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2009]