My Body Twitches All Over When I Lie Down!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by happygranny, Nov 9, 2003.

1. happygranny

happygranny New Member

Does anyone else share this symptom? When I have been up for awhile and then lie down, either on the couch or in bed,it seems as if it takes a while for my body to adjust to being still. It twitches all over for a while before it is able to be still. It never gets completely still, but the first few minutes are especially 'twitchy'. Even my heart gets into the act with a lot of PVCs ( premature ventricular contractions). It doesn't feel like it is just muscles, it seems all over-everywhere.

Climbing the stairs and then sitting down has the same effect, twitching like crazy. Not pleasant when I climb the stairs to the bathroom!

Anyone else?

Thanks,
    Jeannie
    [This Message was Edited on 11/09/2003]
  2. toaster

toaster New Member

My friend has twitching/shaking muscles but seems to be more after being in bed and arising. The least tension on the muscle starts the shaking. Climbing stairs, arising from a chair or trying to squat and rise again makes muscles shake. Use of upper body muscles causes twitches/shaking. Worse some days than other.

Does this seem to be because of de-conditioning or is it just part of FM???

Toaster
  3. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

I had the same problem all the time, but recently I added calcium and melatonin to my regimen (I had developed bad restless leg syndrome) and now it's gone. I heard that the twitching was due to a shortage in calcium. Because I have not been able to tolerate milk for the past 25 years and also drink a lot of coffee, I had really depleted my system of calcium. But almost overnight the twitching and RLS is gone. It is such a relief!
  4. happygranny

happygranny New Member

And I have skim milk with breakfast and eat quite a bit of cheese, so I am not to sure it is a Calcium deficiency. I was thinking along the lines of an autonomic dysfunction.
  5. happygranny

happygranny New Member

Bumping for more input
  6. steach

steach New Member

Hi Granny-

I had the problem that you are describing with my legs- doc diagnosed it as restless leg syndrome. he put me on a med called Klonopin for it and it has helped.

You might want to read the title "Klonopin" on the message board- it addresses your issues as well.

Steach
  7. happygranny

happygranny New Member

Although I have heard people talk about restless leg I never thought of it relating to me, because mine is all over. However, I think it is worth a read. I will do that now.
    Thanks,
    Jeannie
  8. happygranny

happygranny New Member

hoping for more input. My twitching only lasts the first few minutes after lying down. that is why I don't see it as being related to the restless leg syndrome. It is all over my body. The more active I have been , the longer and harder the twitching is.
  9. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

Hiya happygranny :)

Yep, this happens to me, too, but it starts with my head and from there goes to my legs, arms, back and even my stomach. Lately, it has begun to happen during my work day while I'm working at my desk so my doctor has referred me to a neurologist with whom I have an appointment with on Christmas Eve (can you believe that?).

Anyway, I believe the night-time twitching is very normal in FMS folks and is called myclonic jerks, I believe.

I am on Klonopin, too, but it doesn't help. Sometimes I will lay in bed for an hour before I can go to sleep. It is so strange.

What you are describing is yet another glorious FMS symptom. Try to relax and not worry (easier said than done, huh?)

(((hugs and love)))

Kindly,

Kim

10. leah9798

leah9798 New Member

I get the same twitching also. Usually as soon as I lay down or sit and I get it every where. I just had an EMG and NVC done for it.Well, I was told its part of fibro and I'm just going to trust my doctor on this. It can be a little annoying though. I also get the heart palpitations, too. LOL.
  11. happygranny

happygranny New Member

Anyone else get those kind of all-over twitches, epsecially when you are trying to relax your body?
  12. Ivey

Ivey New Member

It drives me crazy! Just letting you know that someone else has it!

Ivey
  13. achy

achy New Member

This is one of my most hated fibro symptoms!! I'm sitting in the recliner watching T.V....or reading and zappp. My body jerks. It's almost the kind of jerk you do when scared from behind...a sudden jerk. And if my neck is kinked or my spine is hurting it can really cause some pain.

I also get the little twitchy's...they get tiresome too.

warm fuzzies
    Achy
  14. fibrowhat

fibrowhat New Member

It drives me crazy,especially when I'm over tired,it seem's to be worse at night..
  15. azbax

azbax New Member

The very same thing. As soon as I lie down my legs start in and usually my stomach does too. Doesn't hurt but is so annoying. Especially when I'm drifting off to sleep...finally...and the twitch startles me awake!
  16. coolgram15

coolgram15 New Member

I did all this jerking and twitching in my sleep, but my ex-husband, who did have a faily good understanding of FM and who was constantly researching it, told me several times that it was no wander that I was more tired when I woke. He said that I work my *** off in my sleep..all night long! He told me that I am constanly moving..never still for more than 2-3 minutes. He watched me time and time again, and said he didn't know how I felt, but he was exhausted..LOL! Oh well, he's long gone now, so I don't have anyone to account for my actions in my sleep anymore!!
    (I probably rest much better now that someone isn't gazing at me all night!!)
  17. Tunes

Tunes New Member

Hi Jeannie,

For years I asked doctors about this "involuntary" leg, arm, hand, head, jerking when I lay down. One I had a jerk so bad, it literally put me in an almost fetal position. Every time I asked a doctor, the ole dumb look came back at me, sometimes accompanied with shrugged shoulders. The idunno thing!

I recently read in a sleep book. There is the Restless Leg Syndrome and also a condition termed Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD).

There is a sentence in this book: Since anemia and iron deficiency are causes of RLS, taking supplemental iron pills can help. However, there are different forms of iron in the blood, and I wouldn't just go out and take iron supplements without having a doctor to a blood work up.

This book also states drug therapies. If sleep is regularly disrupted, a doctor may prescribe a benzodiasapine (an anti--anxiety medication) or a drug commonly used to treat Parkinson's disease (L_dopa or bromocriptine, for example.

For my twitching, jerking, "a rose by any other name" .. it only occurs after I lay down. It actually at one time, and still does at times now but less frequently, just when I'm about to dose off, it will wake me. Perhaps it's less frequent for me now, as I don't sleep much at night anymore. Not until I reach the exhaustion stage, and pass out!

Hope this helps,
    Tunes
  18. OakSani

OakSani New Member

HappyGranny:
    This is my first time on the message board and I feel so much better knowing that others with fibro are experiencing the muscle twitches and spasms that started for me about 2 months ago (diagnosed 9 years ago). Mine occur all times of the day and night all over my body and sometimes I have to cross my arms to keep them still. Twitches in the night feel like someone is hitting me to wake me up. Fell down steps once with a spasm in my knee and dropped a hot cup of tea because of an arm and hand spasm. Just consulted with my Dr. for a neurology referral because it was scaring me! Think I will go ahead to be on the safe side, but all of your messages are comforting!
    OakSani
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2003]
  19. roxycat

roxycat New Member

Hi everyone,

Wow! how very alike we all are and we are all scattered all over the country..isn't that wierd? I have twitches allllllllllll over my body many different times of the day.
    It seems as though when i am in deep thought about maybe a troubeling thought or just constant busy thoughts.I was starting to think that the twitches was just because people were bugging me and it was just i was really really really upset,kinda like the ol eye twitch..Usually on a none FM person a twitch on the eye lid is just an indication that a person is a little bugged.(or so that has been my thoughts about it)..
    I also could not figure for the life of me why i would just suddenly out of no where Jerk.or my leg would jerk..I was thinking???????? i really just was thinking ??????
    i don't know..But now allll these things are slowly coming together now..How wierd..

God Bless,
    Michelle