My brother to have bone marrow transplant

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

A few months back I wrote about my brother being diagnosed with multiple myaloma. I asked for prayer for both him and all of us as my big sis is not handling it well at all.

Since his diagnosis in January he has moved to a small town outside of Bend, OR (from Yakima, WA) and is living in a nice little house on 4 acres, surrounded by woods and the birds that he has always loved to watch. My SIL's sister and her fiance live there, too.

I took my sister down to see them the 15th of May and we stayed until the 18th. It was exhausting for me both physically and emotionally. I did all the driving as sis doesn't see well and is very uncomfortable on unfamiliar roads. It takes a little over six hours to get there from here.

Bro was extremely ill while we were there. Dizzy and absolutely no energy. Found out afterward that his blood pressure was down to 70/36 which accounted for the symptoms he was having. He has been having chemo since February and his numbers are a little better.

He called me last Sunday to tell me his self-bone marrow transplant has been approved by his insurance company. They will harvest his bone marrow when they get the cancer cells as low as possible and then do the transplant with those cells. He has a bone marrow test scheduled for tomorrow to see if he is ready. If so, he will be going to Portland for about 6 weeks, three in the hospital and three as an out patient.

The hope is that this transplant will buy him another 4 to 7 years. There is no cure so keeping him with us as long as possible is the goal now.

I just wanted to ask all of you to keep him in your prayers. I'm terrified about this transplant. I talked it over with my doc and he explained that they will kill all of bro's marrow, making him very near death, and then start the process of bringing him back. He likened it to not watering a sick plant until it had almost completely died and then starting giving it water and food to try and save it.

We don't have a date yet, probably late June. Please keep him in your prayers.

Thank you,
    Greenbean
  2. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You got it Hon!!!! I am so sorry for your brother and you and your family members. I do remember you posting about your brother a while ago.

I sure hope this works so he can be with you a lot longer and enjoy the birds and trees, etc.... for a lot longer.

YOu are all in my prayers Greenbean!!!!

Mickey
  3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

So happy that the insurance company finally approved the transplant. Will be praying that it is a successful procedure and that he will be in remission for many years.
  4. ckball

ckball New Member

I have missed you here, I am so sorry about your brother and will keep him in my prayers.

I am glad he has a beautiful place to heal in and is surrounded by people that love him. That was a wonderful thing you did to go that long trip to see him.

I hope you have been well and taking care of Rey and you, Carla
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I am praying he will pull through and this will do the trick.

I love Bend Oregon. We used to go up to ski. Have a friend who has a gorgeous summer home up there. I always thought Bend was one of the nicest towns/cities I had visited.

Good luck.

Annie
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My prayers are so with you and your family. How good of you and your sister to take the time for a long visit with your brother. I am certain it lifted his spirits.

I have a friend who had the same thing as your brother and had the bone marrow transplant, probably about seven or eight years ago. I ran into her recently and she looked great. Back in the day, her prognosis was not good and we all feared the worst. After the transplant, she continued to suprise us every step of the way in her recovery. Proof positive that there's always hope.

I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers. Please update us on his progress.

Peace--Laura
  7. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Praying for the very best for your dear brother. He's fighting a courageous battle and I pray he will have strength, peace, and healing.

Hugs,
    dolores
  8. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your brother and your whole family. What a terrible thing. I am so glad that he got OKed for the bonemarrow transplant. I hope that he will get it soon and that it will extend his life and help him to have some quality of life .

How sad it must have been for you to have seen him so weak. I know I can't stand to see to muh suffereing or problems any more with my aches, pains and hi b/p.

Blessings and hugs,

Granni
  9. springwater

springwater Active Member

My prayers go out to your brother for his recovery and to all of you his loved ones who are dealing.

I did hear of this gentleman here (i live in Nepal/Asia) who had bone marrow cancer and he also did some treatments with a Swami Ramdev (breathing exercises called Pranayama and Kapalbhati. The last heard was his cancer cells had disappeared and he conducted Yoga Breathing lessons.

I realise it may be difficult for you living so far away to explore other options but i thought the simpler exercises may improve the quality of your brothers life. If you did think it would help.

http://www.divyayoga.com/freePranayamTraning.htm

The above site provides free breathing lessons...

God Bless
  10. springwater

springwater Active Member

My prayers go out to your brother for his recovery and to all of you his loved ones who are dealing with what i know is a very difficult time. I pray for strength for you all.

I did hear of this gentleman here (i live in Nepal/Asia) who had bone marrow cancer and he also did some treatments with a Swami Ramdev (breathing exercises called Pranayama and Kapalbhati. The last heard was his cancer cells had disappeared and he conducted Yoga Breathing lessons.

I realise it may be difficult for you living so far away to explore other options but i thought the simpler exercises may improve the quality of your brothers life. If you did think it would help.

http://www.divyayoga.com/freePranayamTraning.htm

The above site provides free breathing lessons...

and i did think the place where he lives in that quiet wooded area sounded so peaceful...

it is comforting to know your brother is not alone in going thru this but has a loving sister and other siblings at his side

God Bless