My Caffeine Trick for Energy - It Really Helps!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Jan 26, 2006.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I have a trick I’d like to share. I save it for days when I know I need to feel good. I have FM only--not CFS. I don’t have the severe crippling fatigue that many of you have. I really feel for those of you who experience that, but I don’t have that. This just gives me a much needed pick-me-up on slow start days.

I take a small amount of caffeine in tablet form in the morning. It is a very small amount of caffeine. 16 mg. I buy EXCEDRIN tablets (or the cheap store brand equivalent).

1 Excedrin tablet contains:
    250 mg Aspirin
    250 mg Acetaminophen
    65 mg Caffeine

I take one tablet and cut it in fourths (cut one tab in half, than cut that in half again). This amounts to a total of approx 16 mg of caffeine. It comes to 63 mg of aspirin and 63 mg of acetaminophen for each 1/4 tab.

Just for comparison:
    5 oz brewed coffee is 60 - 180 mg (average 115 mg)
    5 oz instant coffee is 30 - 120 mg (average 65 mg)
    5 oz black tea is 20 - 90 mg (average 40 mg)
    12 oz Mountain Dew has 55 mg
    12 oz Coke has 45 mg
    1 Vivarin tablet is 200 mg

As you can see, 16 mg is way below any of these amounts.

On my caffeine days, I am usually headache-free, and feel like a normal person. I feel energized, but not overly so. I always get so much accomplished on those days, and I actually feel good. I mean REALLY GOOD!

I do not drink coffee or tea, and I rarely drink soda pop. So I basically have no other source of caffeine (except for a bit of chocolate here and there).

I’m sure this would not do a thing for all you big coffee drinkers.

Caffeine is a mild stimulant. It causes a slight increase in body temperature and blood pressure. Since my body temp is usually low and my blood pressure is also low, I wonder if caffeine isn’t just bringing them into “normal” range.

I only do my “caffeine trick” once a week, sometimes twice a week. I never do it two days in a row, or it will interfere with my sleep. Plus it will give me a headache if I do it two days in a row. I never take it past 7 am, or I will sleep poorly.

I also have to be careful of when this trick will work. If I am in a flare, forget it. If I have a bad headache or other body aches, forget it. Depending on how I feel in the morning, I will know whether it is a good caffeine day or not.

This is strictly a band-aid fix, but it’s one I’ve found to be invaluable. Caffeine has its limitations for me, but has been a lifesaver on many days. And it's CHEAP!!

Katy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2006]
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

Especially in my child-raising days...the crazily exhausting days of trying to keep up with 2 toddlers.

I would often take a tablet prior to an outing where physical play was involved. Seemed to also lift my spirits for a bit. The caffeine will certainly be too much for some, but for me I slept poorly with or without it, so.....

During my childhood I had frequent migraines that no aspirin would touch. Only after discovering Excedrin in my teens (probably when it came out), did I find a medication that finally could have an effect on a migraine.

I don't use it anymore as it doesn't noticeably help my current fatigue and I no longer (thank God) have migraines. It IS a bandaid for fatigue, but a helpful one for some.

3. Empower

Empower New Member

I rely HEAVILY on Excedrin for energy (daily) but I worry about the Acetaminophen. Do you?

I know it is supposed to be really bad for you. My doctor knows how much I take and doesn't seem to be concerned about it
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Katy:
    I would say there is something to your caffeine trick.
    Once in a while I will get a searing headache. I will take something for it and then drink a really strong, black expresso. It seems to do the trick.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  5. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

sleepyinlalaland - I know about keeping up with 2 toddlers! My twins are 11 yrs old now, but they still keep me hoppin'! Glad you no longer have migraines.

Empower - I don't worry about the amount of acetaminophen since it is such a small amount. I only take 1/4 Excedrin tablet, which amounts to 63 mg acetaminophen. That's not much.

I get more acetaminophen in my narcotic pain reliever than from the Excedrin. I get 1000 mg/day acetaminophen from that source. More on bad pain days. I was concerned about that. I asked my doctor about it, and she wasn't at all concerned.

I'm not sure how much acetaminophen is "too much".

Nyrofan - Caffeine is a mild vasoconstrictor, and I think that helps with headaches. Closes down those throbbing veins. Many migraine medications contain caffeine.

The bad part is that you can get rebound headaches from the caffeine. Then you are worse off than when you started.

That's why the small 16 mg amount I am taking seems to be just right for me. Enough to make a difference, but not too much to cause trouble. Glad your coffee trick works for you!

Katy
  6. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Katy, I'm a big Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinker during the day. Caffeine will also raise your blood sugar if you have diabetes.

I take Lortabs for pain, so I don't want any additional Tylenol in my system, but what I get from the Lortabs. Have been in a flare for most of the month.
    Can't wait for spring to get here.

I can't drink coffee as it tears up my stomach.

I don't know what I'd do without caffeine during the day. I don't worry about the diet drinks either as I don't seem to be affected by Equal or Splenda.

Hugs,
    Faye