My Cardio Appt.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Just thought I would post about my first cardio visit today. I really like my new doc. He is a very, very nice man and everyone working there is sweet as can be. The place is beautiful, very clean, and has a big plasma HD TV on the wall in the waiting room. They must be making a buck or two. My doc is from Croatia and is so nice and very funny. He seems to be very knowledgeable and concerned.

    The PCP's office didn't send over my EKG and when called, they couldn't find it. The cardio just did one while I was there. He saw the changes from two of the leads which had shown up in my stress test three years ago. The doc at that time said the changes were what one would expect in a woman my age. This doc says that they now know that heart disease manifests itself differently in women and that these things need to be checked out. They may or may not signal a heart problem. I'm so glad I went. At least now, we will know what's going on.

    Later in the month, I have to go in for about four hours. The are going to inject iodine and do a nuclear stress test and an echocardiogram. Then, they will outfit me with a Holter monitor for 24 hours and I'll have to return the next day to bring the monitor back. If I can't keep going on the treadmill, they can induce the stress on the heart chemically on the spot. I'm going to give it a try.

    I hate having all these appts., but this is too important not to get it checked out. Considering the premliminary research which appeared to show a connection between CFIDS and cardiomyopathy, I think it is wise for anyone suffering CFIDS/ME to be checked, especially if there are any symptoms of heart problems.

    I'll update y'all on how it turns out after all the tests are done.

    Love, Mikie
  2. neen85

    neen85 New Member

    That is always a good way to start things,if you like them and they are intelligent. Sounds like he is on top of things and will get the tests done that he feels you need.

    Were you wondering about being able to complete the treadmill because of your knees or the fibro in general?

    Keep us updated on things. Daneen
  3. darude

    darude New Member

    So glad you got this done really need to get these things checked out. I had all that done a year ago and ALL was fine. Of course as you know I recently found out have pituitary tumour , sleep apnea and lesions. Combination of these is causing my blood pressure and blood sugar to soar. My suggestion is for everyone to get heart tested and a brain MRI if they can!!!! I'm on pituitary chat now and I can't beleive how many people were told initially they had CFS/FMS.

    BLUEROSE7 New Member

    So glad you really liked the new doc.

    Please keep us posted on the test!!

    Hugs & Prayer
  5. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I told the doc that I would likely be able to complete the treadmill test but that it might put me in bed for a week. Since it is better if one can actually do the test, I want to try. If I can't, they can just chemically induce the heart stress.

    I told him it just depends on the day. There are days where I feel like I will fall down if I can't lie down.

    The lady who schedules told me that the worst part of these tests is boredom. There is a lot of waiting around in between. Guess I'll bring the newspaper, a book and a sweater because it's cold.

    July and Aug will likely set a record for me for tests and appts. I really will be glad when it's all over.

    Thanks for all your interest. It's funny but when one of us sees than another is having things done, it's likely he or she will decide to do them too. Someone posted about a sleep study and I decided I had put it off long enough. Now, there are a bunch of us all having it done. I'm hoping that if there are members who need to get their hearts checked out, they will do it. Somehow, it's easier to suffer through these tests when we know others are doing them too.

    Love, Mikie
  6. Rosiebud

    Rosiebud New Member

    why you had those tests done but I see you've answered it Mikie.

    I'm glad you have a nice, helpful doctor, it makes such a difference.

    I'm waiting for an appointment (NHS) to get a sleep machine to take home and will probably wait long enough.

    I hope your tests all come back okay.

  7. darude

    darude New Member

    But needs to be done!!!!!!!!!!! I have had two appointments a week for the last couple of months. Waiting on EEG results and testing for lung function on Monday. Hey pieces of the puzzle are now coming together for me so I'm glad I did it.
  8. lovethesun

    lovethesun New Member

    Don't you just hate anticipating the soreness.My mammagram of 5 minutes took me a week to recover from too.
  9. elsa

    elsa New Member

    Hey Mikie,

    It sounds like your doctor and their staff bend over backwards to make their patients comfortable and at ease. How wonderful!! We all know about the "bad doctor" stories.....I'm thrilled you have a great relationship with this doctor.

    I'm so glad you made these appointments. I think you are going to feel so much better after it's all said and done. God willing, everything will be as it should, and you'll know you did all the right things concerning your health.

    Prayers and thoughts are with you.....please keep us up-dated......

  10. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I really appreciate all your good wishes. Best of luck to everyone who is going through tests.

    Love, Mikie
  11. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    Which links CFIDS with cardiomyopathy. He just nodded but I don't think he has read anything about it. My guess is that these guys don't really care what illnesses are involved; they just treat whatever is wrong with the heart.

    I will keep everyone updated. I was really sick last night and ended up taking Vicodin. That helped with the pain in my hip and leg but it made me sick and left me with a narcotic headache/hangover. The Guai works 99 percent of the time, but every now and then, I still get a flare. Our mold is so bad this year that I think my body is trying to cope with that and I just have a flare going on.

    My blood pressure and heart rate are high today. I'm supposed to keep a log until I go in again. I hope it comes back down. I don't want to have to take BP medication on top of everything else.

    Let us know how your hubby's tests turn out. Good luck.

    Love, Mikie
  12. victoria

    victoria New Member

    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you that everything shows up as all right and there's nothing serious. Is some of the testing you're having done similar to what Dr. Cheney is doing with his patients? I can't keep track of the test names, etc...

    Also, I am hesitating to post this, but just a possible caution, don't want to overly scare you: I noticed that you said they inject iodine... have you ever had iodine done before?

    Allergy to iodine is supposed to be very rare but I've known a few people who are, plus myself included... all of us experienced anaphylaxsis (sp). (-but maybe I know a select group?)

    I was supposed to have it for a test once, but was offered an alternative as the iodine causes more nausea anyway (or so the technician said); I elected to pay for a different/more expensive solution and did fine...on that basis alone you might want to ask, LOL!

    (Unfortunately when I did get it, it was in a vitamin IV 'cocktail')

  13. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I have had iodine injected in the past without problems.

    I do have an OMRON automatic digital arm blood pressure machine. I had it calibrated at the doc's office. I've had my BP taken in both arms and it is basically the same.

    The wrist bands are OK to use if one knows how far off they are. I have one I used in the past to check for my target heart rate while exercising. I don't use it anymore.

    Actually, the Holter Monitor is an ongoing ECG, so I would imagine they will still want me to wear it. The waves on two of the leads have changes. This way, they will be able to get a bigger picture over a longer period.

    I'll let y'all know how it goes. Thanks again.

    Love, Mikie
  14. Risk

    Risk New Member

    Just wanted to chime in wishing you good luck with your stress test. Great idea to bring a book, magazine and also some food for eating afterwards. I had the stress test with the cardiolite (radioactive tracer). The test itself doesn't take that long, but the waiting around is a killer. First they inject you, then you wait znc hour or so. Then, you do the treadmill. Afterwards, you lay on the table for an echo, if memory serves me correctly. You then have to wait another two hours (at this point you are finally allowed to eat), then you go under the scanner. Yes, the room is freezing, but it doesn't take long. Believe it or not, the worse part about the scanner was having to hold my arms above my head for the test. (it takes about 10 mins). I too did the holter. Everything was normal, I just feel palpitions (which showed up being benign). The cardiologist explained that most people don't feel when they are having a palp, but then there are those sensitive people like us who feel everything.

    I'll be thinking of you!

  15. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    It helps to know what to expect. I just want to ensure that all is well, especially because of the changes on the ECG. It was those changes which alerted the doc to order the tests. Too many women have died of heart disease because they didn't recognize the early warning signs which may not appear in men with cardio disease. I'm glad he is so careful.

    Love, Mikie
  16. rigby

    rigby New Member

    Keep on getting your heart check. I only have a high heart rate and no real signs I was having a heart attack and I am a nurse just driving down the road and had jaw pain and threw up. Women are not the same. I had the nuclear test last two times but I react with the last one cardio said target heart rate for me was 140 and if I can take meds 24 before I will already be at least 110 so going for the tread mill. Mine was caught in time so only had to have 2 stents put in. All women keep up the good work on your heath.
  17. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    I'm glad they caught it in time and you are OK. When my Mom had her fatal heart attack, she had all the classic symptoms but for three days prior to the attack, she had what she called heartburn. I kept trying to get her to go to the doc but she wouldn't do it.

    I have heard that women sometimes get a feeling of doom and gloom just before a heart attack. Mom was strangely quiet and somewhat detached in the few days before.

    Love, Mikie