My Cat Charlie Died this Morning

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I woke this morning to the news my 12 y/o big cat Charlie had died in his sleep. I am devastated. He was a true original. A huge cat with a heart every bit as big. We adopted him from the shelter as a kitten the summer before our daughter left for college. Charlie, and another kitten Addie, were brought into the family to help our son deal with the lonliness we knew he'd feel when his 'Sis' took off.

Our first cat Addie died 5 year's ago from liver failure. Our newer cat Biddie died last February from liver disease also. Having Charlie die was the last straw for me. He was my best buddy when I wasn't feeling good, depressed, or sad. Always a lover. A charmer to all. Never grew up with cat's, but found these kitty's to be my life long love's.

I thank God for the 12 year's I had with Charlie. Just last night he took over the arm of my recliner with half of his body spilling over on me, while I played a game online. He purred, nipped for me to keep petting him, and was appreciative when I was rubbing his cheek and under his ear. We were meant to spend the evening together. I truly believe this was a gift. I was supposed to go out for my MIL birthday dinner but was hurting and begged off. As I fell asleep he was laying on me. Got off when I woke up at 2:30 a.m. He died sometime between then and 6 a.m. when my husband came in the den to let dog's out and Charlie didn't stir.

There are many cat lover's, and pet lover's are on this board. I know you, more than many other's, know this kind of love. The give and take. How they are most aware when we are in need of some extra love and when we don't feel well.

I am sorry this is so long. Just felt it was the best place to spill out my feeling's. The tear's have subsided some but know this is only a temporary reprieve.

Charlie, you were the best friend I could ever have asked for in this lifetime. Thank you for allowing me into your life. You will be missed more than I can say. And forever loved and thought of. Thank you my sweet Charlie Boy.

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/22/2012]
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Kim - I am so sorry to hear that. Even if I didn't really know you I can imagine how you must feel. He was a big part of your life for 12 years. I know you will remember him forever. I know that he had a wonderful family with you and all your dear family and animals.

May God bless you and your family as you try to deal with this loss. He will be in your hearts forever , I know . The memories you have of him will make you stronger ,even if you are very sad about losing him. You will never forget him.

Blessings,
    Granni
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

Charlie your buddy, RIP Charlie...jam
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Kim, I'm so sorry to learn that Charlie passed on. I truly believe that so many of the pets we have are angels that help us during times when we have no one else to listen to us or no one us to comfort us. They just step in and love us no matter what. Those pets love us unconditionally. My cat Shelby and I "talk" at night while TV is on and she reminds me that I should put money in the cat bank for all the "cat therapy" she has done with me.

I know that right now is a very difficult time for you and there is a lot of pain in this loss, but you'll never forget him. You'll reach a point where you'll smile that your life was so greatly enriched by wonderful Charlie and laugh at all the funny and silly things he did and that he was family.

Take care and many hugs.
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We grieve so hard for our beloved pets. They are our family and they give us unconditional love. They are healing for us. My heart goes out to you. One thing I found helpful when my beloved Mr. Big died was to light a candle in his honor and play some beautiful music. My neighbors had a quick wake and we all drank to "one hellova fine cat." They loved him too. My prayers go out to you at this sad time.

Love, Mikie
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

So sorry for the loss of your dear cat Charlie. Cats/animals are special members of the family. Give yourself time to grieve. His memories will live on forever in your heart and you will always know how lucky he was to have been a part of such a loving family. Thinking of you.

Soft hugs, Erika
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I thank you all who responded with your support, empathy, and understanding. I would address you all singularly, but this morning was a hard one. Waking up knowing my husband was working, as well as our son. I knew last night, without Charlie to greet me this morning would be tough. And it has been.

Thank you for sharing your stories of how much your beloved cat's have made a difference in your live's. My brother and I did not grow up with cat's. Dog's, yes. He and I have been coverted to true cat lover's. He said, "I think once you're a cat person you're always a cat person." And I think he is right.

With time and distance, I know the good memories will prevail. And at some time in the future there will be another cat or two, who grace my life. It won't be for quite a long while, and they will never replace Charlie, because no being is replaceable.

I came to this board in 2003 when I was first diagnosed with Fibro/CFSD. While I am not on as much, you were all special people then and have continued to be so till this day. I am truly thankful for you.

Again, thank you from my heart.

Kim

8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for your kindness and understanding.

I am waiting for the day when a new cat find's me and chooses me as his/her forever home. As you know, the pain is so difficult at this time. We have two dog's, but as loved as they are, it's just not the same.

Thank you for the big hug.. I need all anyone is willing to give at this time.

You are so very kind..

Many hugs to you.

Kim
  9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you. I really needed this hug, now. All I've done is cry today. I won't rush the grief. I know it ebb's as it is supposed to. My DH is loving, but he never has love, LOVED the cat's as I do.But he's doing his best. I know, you know, how sad and heartbreaking this is.

My heart will be open, maybe even is now. Do you think CaseyCat will always remain special, in his own way to you? I have a huge capacity for love. Just can't imagine any other cat would take my heart as Charlie did.

I have buried my beloved dad and my 19 y/o brother and never thought I'd move on. But of course, you do. I've loved all of our pet's, but nothing like my Charlie Boy. And I know I will go forward when ready.

Again, thank you sweet Diane. I may call on you again, if it's okay. Just need to get through this next week, or so.

Love, Kim
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Dear Kim,

As a fervent animal lover, I do feel your pain. I lost my cat Sophie at the end of February and I'm still not over it, nor is my other cat.

Sophie was like Charlie in that she was there for me through thick and thin.

If this is any consolation, be glad the sweet guy died in his sleep. I had to have Sophie euthanized because she'd become so ill and it was even more painful.

Sending a big hug for you,
    Marta
  11. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Diane.. I feel the love you have for your kitty's. Truly. You are so good at sharing of your heart. I've thought this afternoon, alot, about adopting again within the next several week's. If it's agreed upon at this time. After writing you, I was checking out our local SPCA webstite. There is a Tortie girl who remind's me of the one we had several year's ago. My heart felt pulled toward's her and I even smiled. I have gone back, numerous time's, to check her out. And there is a boy, named Bob, also @ the SPCA who made me laugh when I looked at his picture. Would love to go visit them. I'll keep you updated. You are a wonderful friend.. sight unseen.

Marta, I am so very sorry about your Sophie. It is so very difficult to make the decision of life or death. I know what a hard decision it is. We have had to have two other cat's and several dog's euthanized. Just lost my little girl Biddie to liver disease in May. If anything does bring me consolation Charlie died in his bed in the early morning, peacefully, with me in the same room. It was so unexpected and a shock. Hard to get through my mind and my heart. I appreciate how you've shared your understanding and the love you feel for your Sophie. How very kind of you to do so. Have you found a new sweetheart in the month's since Sophie's death?

You are both kind women and I appreciate your support, understanding and hugs.

Kim
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

What a kind and thoughtful reply. Thank you.

I am conflicted about getting another cat. I've been in a flare and quite depressed these past months, so I'm not sure I could take on the possible conflict. At my age (74) a kitten isn't a good idea since it could outlive me and have nowhere to go. My kids and grandkids are allergic.

Honey is lonely but I'm not sure how she's be with another adult cat. I'm still pondering it while I try to perk up.

If I decide to go ahead, I know where to come for support!

Thanks again - and here's another hug,
    Marta
  13. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Tomorrow. Suprise!? Dh sat down tonight and asked me I would like to think about finding another cat/cat's. It really surprised me. I think my on and off crying may be a part of it.. Kinda lol

Still not sure how I truly feel about seeing cat's tomorrow at our SPCA. Will have to admit, I did look through their website yesterday and fell in love with a Tortie girl and the description given. We had a Tortie when our kid's were young. In fact, she was the one who started with Charlie as kitten's. I love how they are so 'talky'. Don't like her shelter name, Confetti, but she does look like her name should be 'Lulu'. Whimsical.

The other cat's name is Bob. Made me laugh. It was my late FIL nickname. I think he would laugh about this similarity with a cat. He is a good looking guy who LOVE'S sitting and sleeping in someone's lap. Reminded me of Charlie.

So, we will see if they are still available. If so, will they 'pick' us. And if they do, hopefully we'll be their new 'forever' home.. and have Charlie' blessing's.

Gentle Hug's to all

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2012]
  14. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I finished writing the above novel, and didn't see the two last post's till after I sent.

Thank's for checking in on me Diane! It's never a bother when you meet new friend's who care. Quite a blessing. I will update, my update, tomorrow! Hug's to you..

Leah.. Such caring word's again. So very special of you. I had thought the same thing.. Maybe when we get to the shelter, there may be other cat's who do take my heart. I am ready for the possibility! I feel like I 'know' everyone's cat's. Whether they graced the past or the present's of everyone's live's. I love hearing these stories. How we all are connected, sight unseen.

Marta.. Bless your heart. I understand why you are in a quandry. A hard decision to make for you both! Is their a neighbor, good friend, any other family member if you do want to adopt?

Sometime's a second cat is a great friend for the first. And sometime's they tolerate each other. That is the way it was for Charlie, who we adopted as a kitten and Biddie who we adopted when both were six. Not great buddie's.. no fight's. They both wanted ME. And not to share! And there were the morning's I woke up with them both sleeping on me, or in their bed together. As an empty one was next to them. I hope you starting feeling better soon. Flare's are so all consuming. Please rest and take care of yourself.

They say something good come's out of something bad. I have always believed this to be true. And I have now witnessed it by meeting all of you kind and caring women. Thank you.

Take perfect care..

Kim
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2012]
  15. gb66

gb66 Active Member

I just read your post about your kitty and I'm sorry you're having to go through this again. I know how hard it is. We lost our kitty, Smokey, 3 years ago and I still cry sometimes when thinking of him.

He was a wonderful, big, Russian Blue with yellow eyes. The sweetest cat I've ever owned. I grew up with a lot of pets, kittens especially.

He was born under my son's house and deserted by his mother. They heard him crying and found him alone and really dirty and hungry.

I went over to their house on my birthday and they brought this tiny little bundle of gray fur out and I never let him off my lap all evening! I was in love. When it was time to leave, my husband said "we're not taking that cat home" Well, we did and he loved him too.

He lived to be 18 years old, had diabetes the last two years of his life and we gave him insulin shots every day. The night before he died, he came upstairs (he usually stayed down in the den) and came over to my recliner and wanted to be petted.

The next day we had to take him to the vet to put him down because he was too ill to eat and very weak and sick, also had lost most of his sight.

I know he came upstairs to tell me goodbye. I loved him so much. We were never able to get another kitten because for some reason, I keep having allergic reactions to other cats.

I hope you get another one to love. GB66
    [This Message was Edited on 10/25/2012]
  16. gb66

gb66 Active Member

They are beautiful cats. Ours was so big. He weighed 22 lbs. at one time. We asked the vet if his weight made him diabetic and he said no, it's like with people. It's genetic, but losing weight will have a positive effect on blood sugar.

We did put him on a diet and he trimmed down a bit. He was a very large cat though, big frame.

When he was a kitten he had blue eyes and a little purple nose. If I can ever get over my allergies, I want another Russian Blue. They are a little timid and don't care for strangers but make wonderful companions.

And to Kim, I hope you're doing well today. GB66