My cat woes..........Marta608 or anyone

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lynna62, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

I hope you don't mind but I copied this from the end of Porch 69 so it wouldn't get buried.....I could use some kitty advice.

On to the cat problems......I am naturally long-winded so I apologize in advance.

A little before xmas our cat Zippy was yowling a bit (not unusual, he's very vocal) he has semi-long hair so I assumed he probably had a hairball and would cough it up and be fine.

We returned home late xmas eve and he was hiding under our bed. Belly was hard and he seemed uncomfortable. He slept on our bed that night (unlike him) and vomited a few times. Took him to ER xmas morning.....DX blocked urethra, estimate to un-block him $1700.00 plus several days in the hospital!!!! Hubby and I were in tears, no way could we justify that kind of $$.

They called my regular vet who estimated that they could take care of the entire episode for $700-800 so we said ok. The ER ended up doing a cystocentesis to keep him alive till morning (needle into the bladder to drain fluid) and drained off 120 ml of bloody urine with instx for us to take him to reg vet the next morning. He was in the hospital for 7 days. He came home Jan 1st and is on a special diet, ABX, valium and prednisone.

He was always an indoor/outdoor cat, didn't use a litter box but I have one for him now since I need to monitor his output. He took to the litter box fine but now is urinating in inappropriate places. LIKE MY BED! even with me laying in it looking at him!!!!! I have had to wash all my bedding twice in the past 24 hours and that is no small task as you know.

I have been carrying him to the litter box every time he eats or wakes up, sometimes he uses it, sometimes not. I am at my wits end. I know he is still healing and I'm trying to be patient, but........errrrrrrr!

I just got out the old spray bottle cuz I caught him starting to go on the dog blanket in the hall, I followed him out to the patio room where his litter box is and he just ignored it.

2. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Thanks for your suggestion. I live in a tiny 3br 1ba house, it would be difficult (although possible) to isolate him in the bathroom. I am such a sucker that I would feel guilty shutting him up in the bathroom when he wants to lay by me and the dogs.

You are absolutely right though, and I feel like an idiot for not thinking of it myself....DUH ! Such an obvious, simple solution.

If things don't change soon I will be forced to get tough on him, and into the bathroom he goes.

Thanks again,
  3. larryh

larryh New Member

First question has to be is he neutored? Tom Cats who don't get to go out side are very bad about leaving their scent around the house. If he is maybe a small kennel that you can place closer to where you are when you cant watch him all the time would be easier on both of you.

[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2007]
  4. joyfully

joyfully New Member

May be dumb question, , but would your cat wear one of those diapers that are designed for small dogs who have gone into heat?

Sounds like kitty is could be having bladder spasms or loss of urinary control?????
  5. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Larry: Yes, the Zipster is 4 years old and was neutered at an early age. What he is doing isn't spraying, and doesn't seem to be territorial at all, he also has access to the outside world at all times. I have noticed that when he does void it is only a little bit of urine at a time. I may have to break down and buy him a kennel if things don't get better.

Joyfully: I think you are right about the loss of control, after all his bladder had to have been HUGE for them to drain 120 ml from him. I doubt he would go for the diaper thing but I will keep it in mind!

This cat is kinda hard to figure out because he thinks he is a Boxer dog like my other 2 pets.....not your typical independant cat at all. He likes to play fetch and run with the dogs out front, he even goes with the dogs and I to run short errands around town.....we haven't had the heart to tell him he's not a dog.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

6. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

You are so good! I don't know how in my long-windedness I failed to mention that he does still have a UTI, even though he has been on ABX since 12/25.

He had a catheter in place for about 3 days while they flushed his bladder, they had to manually help him empty his bladder for a couple days after that. They didn't release him until he was able to go on his own but he still isn't voiding much at one time.

The vet's office called me on Thursday and said his latest urine sample was still showing infection, I asked if maybe we shouldn't switch his ABX but the tech said no. I have to go pick up more ABX in the morning so I'll ask the vet tomorrow, I think a change might be in order too.

Maybe I'll try a new kitty litter too, I have been careful to clean it each time he uses it but who knows, maybe his highness prefers something different?

Thanks for lending your nursing skills to my kitty.

7. kriket

kriket New Member

I had this same problem with a cat I had for nine yrs. This happened to him 3-4 times. He would do the exact same thing that you decribed your cat as doing. I can't believe what they are charging you for this. The most I ever payed to have him unblocked and the urine drained off was never more than 100.00 and a couple of them were after hour emergency calls. Sounds as if they are charging you too much.

Oh yea, make sure you keep your cat on the kind of food that helps them maintain a healthy urinary tract, cause if they have this problem once, usually it will happen again.

8. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

Once cats start going OUTSIDE the litter box, it is almost impossible to break them. I had a kitten that used the litter box, until one night, she was sleeping on my bed, and we were in the midst of an electical storm. A roll of thunder scared her, she peed on my bed, and the continued to do so everyday. I had to send her to the SPCA, as I couldn't be washing bedding every day.

Hope you don't encounter the same thing. They told me that the scent of their urine never goes away, and they just go in that same spot.
  9. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

You have given me many good ideas and kind encouragement.
    Zippy is on an rx diet and has lots of bowls of water and water/broth all over the house. He didn't have any
    "accidents" yesterday, YAY !!!! He is also beginning to spend more time lazing in the sun in the backyard so he must be feeling better. Hope he continues to stay
    on the straight and narrow!

Thanks again,
  10. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I once had a male cat that developed stones that blocked his ureter, unfortunately he was an indoor/outdoor cat and by the time we discovered the was too late.

We also have a female cat, 11 years old and we have found that we definitely cannot use cheap cat food. We use a name brand and stick with it all the time. We found that if we changed the brand at all she would be peeing in corners and clothes all the time, just like humans with a UTI she has urgency, frequency and pain with urination. As long as we a consistent in our cat food she doesn't do this.

Hope this helps and I hope Zippy is feeling better soon.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie :)
  11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

How about an update, Lynna. Is he doing any better? What worked, if so (so we can all add to our list of knowledge we hope we never need).

12. Lynna62

Lynna62 New Member

Ahhh, Zippy Spades........well, he's doing better. I got him with the spray bottle a couple days ago as he was starting to "go" on the dog's blanket in the hall. Fortunately I can see that area from my bed.

Now all I have to do is say "Zippy" in a stern voice and he runs to his litter box. What a good puppy-cat. He still has a few days of abx to go. He goes back for another UA on 2/7.

I think I may have spoiled him when it comes to the litter box (before this episode he went outside) I have been cleaning the litter box every time he urinates in it because I want to make sure he isn't blocked again, I scoop it out and flatten the litter so I can see his footprints and know when it needs attention.

He almost seems to think it's fun to go "dirty" it again right after I have cleaned it. Oh well, at least he's using it!!!

I have also been taking him to the litter box every time I see him get up from a cat-nap.

Thanks for asking after the Zipster.