My CFS Awareness Article In Letters to Editor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phoenixrising2, May 16, 2006.

1. phoenixrising2

phoenixrising2 New Member

this morning in our local paper. They couldn't get it in on awareness day, but got it in today. I got the form letter from the CFIDS Association and then added my personal information to it.

They changed it a little and left out the info on how to contact the CFIDS Association for more information. All in all, I thought it was pretty good, though. The article follows:

Chronic Fatigue Serious Disease

May 12 was International CFS Awareness Day and as a local resident affected by this serious, yet misunderstood disease, I am asking you to help raise awareness about it.

I have been disabled by CFS for 15 years. Unless you have it or you are very close to someone who does, you have no idea how serious it is. I am unable to work and am 80-90% housebound, yet when you see me the few times I'm out, you would think there was very little wrong with me. Only my family sees the toll it takes and the time I have to spend in bed. I have immune, endocrine and neurological roblems plus pain, flu-like symptoms and bone-crushing fatigue.

This illness is really not a new one. It is listed in the World Health Organization as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. Because of the label of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that the CDC put on the illness in 1988, it has not been taken as seriously as it should have been. Fatigue is only one component of it and should not even be in the name. MS, Lupus, Diabetes and many more chronic illnesses cause fatigue. .

Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS, also known as chronic fatigue and immune dysfunction syndrome or CFIDS) affects more than one million American adults and teens, yet few people understand its serious and long-lasting
    effects. CFIDS is characterized by severe exhaustion, disabling problems with memory and concentration, widespread muscle and joint pain and persistent flu-like symptoms. Research has documented defects in the brain
    and many body systems, but we still don't know what causes it or how to effectively treat it.

According to research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CFS is as disabling as multiple sclerosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and end-stage renal disease. Each year it costs our economy $9.1 billion - roughly the equivalent of Wal-Mart's annual profits - in lost productivity alone. Medical expenses and disability payments further increase the cost to our nation.

Sincerely,

(My Name)
  2. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Congratulations on having your letter published!
    It's very good :)
  3. tlayne

tlayne Member

For helping to bring awareness! Hugs, Tam
  4. phoenixrising2

for the comments. Yes, I was proud of myself. I live where very few people know about CFS & FM, even doctors. Most people think you can't possibly look as well as we do and still be so sick. A lot of the people I have known for years have no idea how sick I am and some just think I'm a hypochondriac for not being out and about more. :-(

So, this was a big step for me to put it in the paper for all to see. So far, I have only heard comments from one person and she DOES know how sick I am. The comments were very good from her. The rest probably still think I'm a hypochondriac, but that I can't help. Oh, well!!!!!

Cheers,
    Phoenix
  5. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

Well done on getting that letter published!

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  6. Roseblossom

Roseblossom Member

What a well-written letter; clear and straightforward.

I'm so pleased & grateful to you for spending that time & effort to get our info out into the world firsthand.

Keep up the good words, honey!

Roseblossom
  7. phoenixrising2

Thanks for the kind words. You're all a great bunch!

Woofmom, I just read your bio. I'm a Schnauzer mom. He's my little spoiled baby. Don't know what I would do without him. He helps me get through the day.

Hugs,

Phoenix
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well written and right to the point. Greta letter. Pat yourself on the back.

Love Anne C
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well written and right to the point. Greta letter. Pat yourself on the back.

Love Anne C
  10. kalina

kalina New Member

Thank you for writing such a wonderful, informative letter for those of us with CFS, and congratulations on getting it published!

Great job!

Kalina
  11. phoenixrising2

for the support.

Hootie - I bet your Phoenix is a good looking boy! What is he......about in the fifth grade? I have two grandsons, so I kind of like those boys.

Phoenix