My CFS daughter was approved for SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by foxglove9922, Nov 19, 2005.

1. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Yippee.........and after only 4 1/2 months she was approved first time around.

We both suffer with CFS and my SSD took 2 years to be approved. She is only 18 and as single mom trying to make ends meet with SSD, I can't begin to tell you what a burden has been lifted from my shoulders although we still struggle with our mounting medical bills.

For those of you going through the process of applying for SSD, I hope you find this encouraging news.

Best wishes to all..........foxglove
    [This Message was Edited on 11/19/2005]
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Do her kids get any too?They do in regular SS
  3. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

She just turned 18 and has no children and a very limited work history since she first started to show signs of CFS after a bout with mono at age 14. She tried working at McDonald's at age 16 but the CFS wore her out too much and she was fired for calling in sick.

By the time she was almost 17, her symptoms became so severe that she was virtually bedridden and spent her senior year of high school being instructed by home bound tutors at her bedside.

Because of her young age I was worried we would be in for a long haul with SSD, therefore, I was overwhelmed when the approval letter and first check arrived.

Since she has very little work history (just a couple of months part time) she qualified under my benefits as an Adult Dependent for SSD.
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

medicaid or michicaid to pay those medical bills...iknow there are some state heatlh programs for youngsters under the age of 21. maybe this will help w/the bills until the medicare kicks in...

jodie
  5. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

I'm so so happy for both of you!
    I just applied for myself and my daughter.
    Dee50
  6. Sun_Rae

Sun_Rae New Member

Congrats also, foxglove!

I do have a question though. At least two other posters have mentioned that they and their daughters have CFS/MF..I'm at a time in my life where I'll be thinking about conception within the next year or two. I'm going to see a new doctor to ask a TON of questions. My BIGGEST concern is that this is genetic and I'll pass it on. Under NO circumstances would I ever want to do that. Therefore, does anyone know or think it is genetic?

I've always feared that if I can't give my husband a child that he would leave me. I know he wants children, but I refuse unless I know it's safe. Has anyone heard anything?

Much Hope - Sun_Rae
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am very happy for you and your daughter!!

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Thank you all so kindly for the well wishes.

We do have BC/BS insurance but still the copays for doctors and meds seems very high considering our limited income. I've applied for Food Stamps, HEAP, and Medicaid for my daughter as I already have Medicare.

For the CFS woman who asked about having a baby,,,,I think the jury is still out on this one. Evidence is pointing towards genetics with this illness. In fact my daughter and I are part of the Kerr/Enlander study being conducted in London. My mom has FM however I have 2 very healthy brothers.

best wishes to all..........foxglove