My City is Safer Today.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pippi1313, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

I've seen the news coverage of the 9/11 memorials today.
    I wouldn't be able to watch, or attend a memorial, cuz that's just still too hard for me.

Before 9/11, nobody thought much about how secure (or not) our hometowns were.

After 9/11, Homeland Security gave cities money for updating their security / emergency programs.

As of today, my city is officially safer because of that.

They call it "MetroSafe". It opened all phases of operation today.

Now, every emergency response agency is on the same, high-tech radio system. All emergency personnel from every department can communicate.
    They have a central, emergency response "war room" where they can all organize in case of a large scale emergency.
    (I just learned they already used the "war room" last month, during our flood.)

The final details were all worked out, & the "bugs" are outta the system, & everybody is coordinated, as of today.

The big, new building is only 2 blocks from here.

I guess it might not seem like a big deal, or it might not seem like something interesting to post about.
    But, today, on 9/11, my city is safer because of what America learned on that first 9/11.

I think that's one of the best tributes.
    Not speeches by politicians, or public prayers from preachers, but action. Action that makes us all safer.

I'm curious. Did your city (or town, or area) benefit from the Homeland Security funding that was made available after 9/11?

MetroSafe was such a huge project, it has taken them 6 years to complete it.

I just wanted to talk about that for a minute.
    Thanks for reading.

[This Message was Edited on 09/11/2009]
  2. JimB51

JimB51 Member

We benefited from 9/11 funding money.
    My brother is (a Police Deputy Chief) is in charge of emergency/disaster operations for this area.

Took a lot of time to coordinate our responses and coordination and training of all our local Fire/Rescue Police and other agencies and volunteer groups.

When we're all on the same page, there is now plenty of equipment and trained people to handle almost anything ..with national Guard and National Red Cross and FEMA ready to move in immediately as soon as needed. (and an unquestionable chain of command with ready and Trained professionals at the forefront).
    Quite a change from 10 years ago. 9/11 and the Katrina Gov. fiasco there were quite an eye opener. Like comparing our readiness before and after Pearl Harbor.

Our county borders Cook county(Chicago)
    Upper income suburbs, High Tech industries, O'hare(world's busiest airport) so we'd Really be a target and need to be on guard and ready for terrorists and disasters.

No one is completely safe of course, but here ... at least were "coordinated and so much more equipped and READY to deal with whatever comes our way.

Glad to hear from someone who's informed and appreciates the things that have been being planned and now quietly put into place. God Bless the USA. ... and you!
  3. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

There were a lot of eloquent speeches made today, & I just wanted to point out that "actions speak louder than words".

Yes, we will still have disasters. Because of the funding for emergency response coordination, the RESPONSE doesn't have to be disasterous.

A lot of peeps are yakking right now about all the $$$ the gov wastes & squanders, & they're right.
    But sometimes, they get it right, too.

Thanks again!
  4. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

It was well over 10 years ago when we had militants here map out for explosives many high-rise buildings that contained county, state, federal offices (plus the high rises contained other regular businesses) in a nearby huge city. It was found out early before anything was accomplished and the group was picked up, but it left a sense of vulnerability for me as I worked in that city and at one of those buildings.

Changes were immediately implemented after that and some buildings removed identification of certain state and federal offices, and parking meters were removed so no one could park at any sides of those buildings. One building was patroled and anyone stopping in front of it was confronted immediately by security and police were then called--it got that tight.

I don't know what funds were allotted to that city, but probably something was due to it previously being the subject an attack that thankfully never materialized.