my claim was rejected

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by phenom, Nov 17, 2002.

1. phenom

phenom New Member

today and i am right on the edge - i really thought i'd get it (disability pension) - they sent me a letter saying my FMS isn't enough of a disability and that my depression and anxiety (due to FMS and also PTSD) is temporary even though i've already had it for 7 or more years and have been and currently am suicidal. i just don't know what to do... i suppose i just needed to tell someone....thanks for listening to me on the worst day of my life...i can't stop crying...and to make it worse i've been in a bad flare for about a week and can barely walk. sorry for whinging.
  2. phenom

phenom New Member

today and i am right on the edge - i really thought i'd get it (disability pension) - they sent me a letter saying my FMS isn't enough of a disability and that my depression and anxiety (due to FMS and also PTSD) is temporary even though i've already had it for 7 or more years and have been and currently am suicidal. i just don't know what to do... i suppose i just needed to tell someone....thanks for listening to me on the worst day of my life...i can't stop crying...and to make it worse i've been in a bad flare for about a week and can barely walk. sorry for whinging.
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Darlin, I'm so sorry. I don't understand why you didn't get it, I got it for the very same reasons. I mean I got SSD. Perhaps you should apply for that and have your head doctor talk it up big. What state do you live in? It seems like it's harder to get in some states more than others.
    Also you need to call your doctor and tell him/her that you are suicidal. Please don't do anything to hurt yourself. We are here for you, what little comfort that may bring.
    Hugs, N
  4. astra

astra New Member

Dear Phenom

I feel for you. I know how bad it can get. I have also experienced that feeling of giving up, wanting to end it all. But life is still very precious, even when everything seems so dark.

My first suggestion is that you apply for Sickness benefit. That's how I started. That went on for 5 years, and then I applied for an Invalid pension. I had a good Naturapath who wrote a comprehensive report about my condition, and somehow they accepted it.

Secondly, you need to remember that most Doctors are not able to support you, because they simply don't know enough.
    You need to find someone who is up to date with this condition, get some help from your CFS/ME Society in your state. They could help you find a CFS/ME Doctor.

Also, monitor your own symptoms, and realize that you are desperately in need of nutritional support for your mood swings. I suggest you find an Australian Bush Flower Essence Therapist.....check out the website "www.ausflower.com.au" and consult with one of their qualified therapist. These flower essences can help you a lot with your mood swings.

I also practice as an Australian Bush Flower Therapist, and would be willing to do a reading for you (distant) and send you some flower essences..Please let me know, and we can talk on the phone or via private Email. (tel: 07 3202 2291 or tholens57@yahoo.com)

It is other people's ignorance that causes us so much grief and unneccessary pain. If people were more knowledgable of this disease, we would be treated with compassion, care, and support. We as individuals are responsible for educating others. The best thing you can do is learn more about the illness, pick up some good books, read articles on the websites, and write up some brief notes for your Doctor. Learn to describe your own symptoms,
    and understand that no matter how depressed you get, it is all part of the disease profile. It IS NOT YOU. IT IS NOT WHO YOU ARE. You are buried deep behind the wall of the disease.But you are still there.

And one day you will find yourself again. And you will learn to appreciate this life all over again, breath by breath, sunrise to sunset, and find that stillness and peace within you which is the fountain of your life, not all the things that happen to you on the outside. These will always change, and you will always go up and down.

One promise I made to myself when I was at my lowest, that if this illness was to last, the only way I could survive it if I didn't attach my happiness to how I was feeling that day. I had to somehow extract my happiness from another source within myself, deeper than my thoughts, deeper than my malaise and misfortune. This helped me and allowed me to move on.

And don't ever let go of 'HOPE'. Hope and faith in the ultimate reality, that God-Self, is always a source of inspiration and support. You need to call out for help. And you have made a grand start.

Much love and hugs
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sweetie,

I am so sorry. Do you have an appeals process. If so, I hope you can appeal this unfair decision. Do you use attorneys down under? Here is the U.S., it is much easier if you use an attorney. God bless you and good luck.

Love, Mikie
  6. phenom

phenom New Member

your words have made me feel so much better - proof again that this board is a god-send. thank you so much. there is an appeals process and i am going to go through it. i am lucky to have the most supportive family and partner. i will let you know how it goes. you have given me strength when i thought there was none. thanks again.

phenom
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Sounds like you have much to live for, family & partner support is what keeps a lot of us going!! Keep plugging away at the appeals process, & we'll all be keeping good thoughts going your way!!

Hang in there,
    Pam