my college just called me about dragon speak class

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 69mach1, Sep 3, 2006.

1. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

the woman was so nice she teaches the class...she only uses dragon speak....she gave me her opinion after i told her want my thoughts were in regards to this english class i am taking..

she said stay in the psychology, stay in the math and pick up this dragonspeak...and in about a month i will be able to use dragon speak all the time...so i can use it for my essays for psychology...i truly only have one mandatory one due to acheive an "a" or "b" in her class...topic of my choice 5-8 pages...

i have a few in mind.....chronic pain, bipolaror alcholism...i have to see if they mention fibro or cfs in the book...

i can do other short essays for ex credit as well...

so i am cutting back on my credit hours it should be about 7 total...that won't change whatever i may get for financial aid...but will change my scholarship award from 1200.00 to 600for the year...but come next term i just need to do 9 units and then i believe then they will bump me up to the full-time award...so basically i will be out about 300.00

so in the meantime i am going to work at getting my kaiser hmo to do the carpal surgery and take care of the tendonitis in my right elbow...make them do an mri or i heard ultrasound is even better to detect tears...

sadly, my left elbow is getting the tendonitis slightly in there as well..

well this is what is going on...it was so cool of this instructor to call me at home...and discuss this w/me..now i have to get in touch with the state voc rehab dept. to get me my own computer for my son paid 300 dollars toward the one we have now...

and they will get the dragonspeak for my home so i can do my homework at home...and i am hoping i can pick up some online classes...how cool would that be...

jodie
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Excuse my ignorance...but what is dragonspeak? Never heard of that, and I've heard of a lot of dragon things!
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

basically it learns your voice and then it will do all the typing and commands. you tell it...
    i will know more on tuesday...

i'll give an update..

jodie
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they may give you the software and a new computer...to use it in....

and you could train yourself...

so i am hoping on tuesday i get to talk to the state voc rehab counselor...we have been playing telephone tag all last week..

i will be taking only 7 units..unless i can find another class that won't be too stressful..

late start programs..

i don't think i'm gonna push it. i usually seem to get more ill during the winter months hoping i don't this year..

jodie
  5. KerryK

KerryK Member

NaturallySpeaking is an excellent product. I have used one version or another of it for over a decade now and have successfully used in work situations. Unless you are an excellent typist, you will likely produce documents much faster using Dragon than you ever could by hand. Just be patient when learning to use it because it can be frustrating at times, though well worth the effort in the end.

A new basic computer for around $500 should be quite adequate for running dragon. One doesn't need to spend a lot of money to use it anymore.

Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2006]
  6. petsrme

petsrme Member

I know I am going to seem foolish, but what is this Dragon Speak? I am an avid reader, used to be a writer of poetry and short stories, have a bachelor's degree, but have no idea what this is. Help anyone.
  7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

for the wheel chair..that is nice to know...

im not in one yet...

i just had my son raise his voice at me about his gf coming over...here..i already had a headache started...

the last time she came over here to my apts where we live...she slammed the gate to the pool so hard that i got to go look to see what the heck was going on...but i didn't see her...then my son comes in and tells me how she was hitting the walls and washer and dryers in the laundry room...

i am at a point i do care about her, him or anyone else...much anymore...just want to care about me...

sorry you are getting the brunt of this...i had a few older woman friends, and including his father say i would allow her to come over anymore...

so cody said have you heard about romeo and juliet...and the more i try to forbid him to see her the more he wants to see her...

then he mentioned then maybe he should hit the walls and and stuff..i told him then maybe you will just go live with your good old daddy..

donnieal..i have some studying and some small chores for him to do...i do not want her over here until i feel like having company...

told him to go hang out at her house or go to starbucks...i don't care...he has football practice at 9 am...

so he said he will only want to hang out because he will be tired...

i can't wait to be alone sometimes...

jodie

oh getting back on track keep with state voc rehab...

8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi all I was reading the information you guys have- I am also working with VESID, they are a vocational rehab- when I first met with the lady she said they will help me with the gas to get back and forth to school. Now it seems they changed some rules- I have enough gas for this week out of our own funds, but that is it-

I have e-mailed her and almost begged, now I don't know if I can get to school- I live about 18 miles from school one way and I am upset with that situation- I gotta call them tomorrow, I just am so frustrated and getting depressed. I don't know if I can keep going at this rate,,, Who is on SSD? I am still waiting to hear from them- You think I should call them tomorrow? What do I say-should I tell them I am having alot of trouble in college? HELP
    Janet
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

ours does...they can give emergency funds...of about 150.00 loan only....

check out re-entry department as well..

did you apply for you financial aid for this fall?

also there are student loans..worth it in the long run..

check out a nonprofit agency that help families and individuals w/food and ect...they may write you a check for gas..salvation army...i see you live in new york area. i live on the other coast...

jodie
  10. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I am calling the vocational lady, they had told me they would give me gas money in the beginning and I am also going to ask for assistance- I am on overload and I just think it is all too much at once. I may have PPS- and it just whips the living H--- out of me -I can't concentrate and I feel like the vaccum sucked life out of me.

PPS is like CFS and FMS in-matter a fact they are almost Identical... So dear, thanks and wich you luck- and lets keep each other posted- My PPS on-line friends don't think I should be taking on this overload because of the worse symptoms I can get. Soo will be calling alot of people tomorrow.
    Be well Jodie
  11. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i notice you were dx as a kid...

my exfil had it as a kid but it went away...then turned down a profootball contract...ran track...etc..

well he had finally got dx at mayoclinic...w/some sort of mutated gene...i should have them write down the name of it...it gets passed...basically his left leg has atrophed..and wheres a brace..and the right one was normal...but it has very slowly has degressed some...

well i will be seeing a counselor tomarrow...in the drd dept..i have class for the dragon speak at ten am...i hope i get some decent sleep...

can't wait to hear about my carpal tunnel inquiry for surgery...and then there is the tendonitis from heck in that right elbow...

dr told me to switch to motrin and this is the second nite i am getting heartburn...

he said take it for a month then if that doesn't help then he can presecribe me something stronger...for all of the arthritis and tendonitis..

pain specialst for elbow spt.20th i think,,,

they haven't done mri or an ultrasound..

crazy..

jodie