My colonscopy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

was normal!

Probably the only thing on my body that is normal~~what ever that means.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Good for you. I've been encouraging members to get colonoscopies for ages. Colon cancer is preventable. It's the last thing we need so if we can take this test, we can eliminate one more thing. Yes, the prep is not the most pleasant thing but they are getting easier than in the old days. I found the sedation very restful, like a really good nap.

My biological father died of colon cancer so I've been getting colonoscopies since I turned 40. I've had polyps removed, several precancerous. Last one showed no polyps but I do have diverticula. I just have to be a bit careful of what I eat and chew nuts until they are the consistency of smooth peanutbutter. Had I not been getting my colonoscopies, I'd likely have colon cancer by now or be dead.

Thanks for posting your good news. I hope it encourages others to get theirs done.

Love, Mikie
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Yeah, I think I felt the same way when mine came out just fine too - my life is so limited by CFS but my colon was great.

Well, it is good news anyways - you wouldn't want to deal with the alternative -

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are many who do not get tests which could help prevent cancer. Colon cancer is horrible but it takes years to develop. Finding and removing a precancerous polyp is all that is needed to prevent it.

Mammos are a bit different. A lot depends on the skill of the doc reading them. Also, by the time cancer shows up in the breast, one has breast cancer; there are no precancerous tumors, just benign cysts and lumps and cancer. Still, if breast cancer is caught early, it's so much easier to treat and the odds of beating it much greater.

My feeling is that I have enough to deal with. If I can eliminate cancer, I'll do the tests. To me, it's my personal responsibility to myself and to help cut down on the cost of healthcare overall. Prevention costs a fraction of treatment. Still, it's a personal choice and I respect your choice not to do the tests. These are just my reasons for having them done.

Love, Mikie
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't think we are debating choices but it is often helpful to explain our choices. We don't have to agree with each other's reasoning. To each her own. I hope what you are doing works for you.

Love, Mikie