My Computer quit sending-HELP !

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

I have been having problems off and on trying to get my computer to send. Sometimes it would work and other times no sending me error messages of all kinds. Now it has quit completely. What can I try besides having to call a techie who may not even speak good English, so I can understand him or her. :)!!!

How do I check my computer settings and where do I look for them? From talking (FB) to my computer guru son he says the settings may be wrong and need to be changed but I do not even know where to change that, Also, why would they change all of a sudden?

Thanks,
    Granni
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is to remove the battery, wait a minute, and then replace it and turn on the computer. It should either fix everything or fix things but put the settings back to default and you would have to reset them. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

These computers can drive you crazy especially , like you said when something goes wrong. The problem is I have lists that I send to every month at least and need to be able to SEND !!!!

I couldn't get rid of it I have come to far with it and have done so much like genealogy for one and these lists, of groups that DH and I belowng to, that I get to help with makes me feel I am doing things with a minimum of work.

Thought I would send out a shout to see if anyone might be able to help with it without having to pay $.

Hugz,
    Granni
    [This Message was Edited on 12/23/2012]
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Do you also mean turn it off completely. It is not running on batteries but it can. It is hooked up to the electriity almost all the time.

Should I try unplugging too . Should I try rebooting also?

Any answers or possibilities would be very much appreciated.

Love,
    Granni
  5. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Granni, yes, turn it off, then try to reboot.

You may also have a virus--someone hacked into my account last year--changed my password--and was sending spam from my account. Tech support at my ISP helped me to clean it up.

Georgia
  6. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

pushing the off button for longer than the usual turn off but have not unplugged the main plugs. There are so many plugs down there, I'm afraid that I am going to really screw up something worse but have done it.

So far the rebooting from the computer has not helped.

Thanks Georgia !

Granni
  7. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Granni, perhaps it would be best if you call your ISP for help. Sounds like a virus to me, and alot of these originate on FB.
  8. stick2013

stick2013 Member

The one thing that people fail to do is to protect their computers from all sorts of bad things happening. There is more out there than just viruses. There is malware, adware, Trojans, bots, and a host of other issues.

There are good FREE programs that you can download to get rid of this crap on your computers also. They should be run at least once a month in Safe Mode. Most times when you already have an issue, and you don't have protection, you need to INSTALL the programs in safe mode, as that's they only way you can.

I can give a list of sites to go to for free programs, but I won't do it unless I get an ok, from a moderator.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If this is a laptop, yes, unplug itturn it off and remove the battery (make sure you have exited all programs and are back to your desktop before shutting it down. When you put the battery back in and turn on the computer, it will take a little time to boot up. I've had to do this a couple of times and have never lost a thing.

When you say "send," I am assuming you are talking about your e-mail. I'm also assuming you have these group lists of contacts already set up. Removing the battery should not have any effect on that. Everything in e-mail resides in a cloud and not on the computer.

I recently received an e-mail from JimB, who used to post here. It had a link but I didn't go to it and deleted the e-mail. He send out another in which he said his computer had been hacked and he didn't send the e-mail. This happened to my kids. I will not open any e-mails which start with "FW:" nor will I go to any links in e-mails.

Granni, I doubt this is what happened to you. I think your computer just has a glitch. I just added this after reading Jam's post. Good luck.

Love, Mikie

BTW: This is the third time I've posted this response. The other two ended up over on the Health Board. Maybe the web is possessed.
  10. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

My DS works with computers and he put on a free antivirus, etc. program. We are going to his home for Christmas dinner tomorrow. Maybe he will have some more ideas or will come down to check it sometime but he is SO busy esp., with his new job with even more responsibilities.

I am toying with calling the server back to say it is still not on - but not sure what they can do unless they perhaps change my info to something else. Then, maybe it siill will not work. Grrr- computers, you can't live with or without them - just like men :)!! he he

I really do appreciate all your ideas and feedback.

Love ya,
    Granni
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Called again to our provider and he tried to check to see if a message send from me would get to him. He said he had a plan if it did. Well, it didn't, of course. However, he was a very nice sounding young man and he said he would write a ticket up to send to those in the know who supposedly work on that stuff.

Wondering why the first guy didn't try and do that. Of course he might not have known I was a DVS customer, Digital and Video supscriber. That was the section the 2nd guy was going to send my info to to fix this. He said it should take 24 hours or less, so we will see.

Merry Christmas awl. We go to our sons tomorrow so nnot sure if I will be on at all or not. Also, hope the storms they are prediciting ends before we leave. It is supposed to be over night I think and into the morning, We need to be there by about 12:30 or so and it takes us about anhr. to get there, depending on the traffic.

Thanks Leah for the sweet words and good thoughts. Hope you are feeling OK or at least somewhat better.

Love to everydobby,
    Granni

12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are responding to one you've already sent. After the original e-mail, all subsequent responses will start with "RE:" If no original post was sent with this subject or if there is only a "RE" I won't open them. I don't open anything unless I know the sender.

Good luck with your problem. Let us know if you get it fixed.

Love, Mikie
  13. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Need to go get dressed and ready to go to our DS's today. However it is raining all around and they are promising us bad storms so we may not go. We will see. I need to get dressed.

It is still not working but they said at least 24 hrs., we'll see !

Have a great day.

Love,
    Granni