My Dad Fell

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

And Bruised and Broke his Ribs on the left side ,,,and now has to live with my sister and her husband,,,,,,I know he's getting on in years (88) and this sort of thing will happen!,,,,has come to the point where he can't stay alone,,,,,,,,

He's very upset with himself that now it's a walker to walk with and not a cain!,,,,,It's so hard to watch the decline of a parent! I know we all have to or have done this,,,,,,,,,put another photo of my Pop up!
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Your dad reminds me of my Grampa. He is a good looking guy!

It's hard when this starts to happen. My MIL, who lives across the road from us, fell again last Friday. That is the second time in just over 6 weeks. She won't use a cane but the reason she fell, both times, is because she was in a snit and didn't pay any attention to where she was walking.

Fortunately she wasn't hurt either time, just bruises. DH said she didn't even put her hands out to break the fall, just went right down on her face.

My Mom is in great physical shape but has Alzheimer's and lives in an assisted living facility (I hate that word and it doesn't really fit because this is a wonderful place with the cutest little apartments! I could live there!).

It's hard knowing we will have to let them go. My prayers are with you and your Pop.

Choose joy!
  3. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your support! All that you have described is very familiar to me,,,,He's had a Stroke and 2 Heartattacks a few years 'back ,,,,and came out of them fairly well,,,,,,,
    My Mom Passed away 3 years ago of Alhzimers,,,,,,and so he's been on his own since ,,,but surrounded by us kids,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I wish i could take care of him but with the FM and all the other stuff ,,,,it's not possible!,,,,,,My Sister and Husband have a huge House and he has his own room and Bath,,,,,,,rails around his bed now and around the restroom ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was talking to him on the phone the other day and he said "sis i don't want to go to that Nursing home because it will be my last stop",,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Mom passed away there and he was by her side everyday for 2 years there! They were Married for 54 years,,,,,,,,sorry so long!

Bean ~~~~Yes the (Useing the cane thing!) took me so long to convince him! I'm glad your Mil is ok! The falls are (How do I say this?) I know a warning sign,,, but also an attention getter,,,,,

Dad fell 2 times before this also ,,,once just out for a walk in the driveway with his cane,,,and once at the family reunion where he tripped over some tree roots,,,,,, He said it was just like fence post going over!,,,,,,,,Sad!

I'm so happy that your Mom is in this AL,,Facility! they are neat places! less worry for you!,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,sis
    [This Message was Edited on 08/22/2007]
  4. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Your Dad looks grand for 88.But sorry to hear of his fall & that he now lives with your sister.It will no doubt be a real blow to him that he has lost some of his independence & mobility,but he'll be well looked after at your sister's.

Wow,54 years of marriage,that is marvellous to be able to say that,not many marriages get past 10 years these days.It reminds me of my grandparents(my dads side) both of whom lived well into their 80's.They actually celebrated 60 years of marriage,their diamond anniversary,but because it was such a special anniversary & my grandfather was dying at the time,the priest actually came to their house to celebrate a 60th anniversary mass with all the family & grandchildren present.The priest said he was honoured to celebrate a 60th anniversary as he had never celebrated such an occasion for any other couple because it is so rare these days.Ah,special memories.

Hope your Dad feels a little better soon Sydney.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your support! The story of your Grandparents is very Touching! 60 years is a Very long time,,,,and so Admirable! To Me it Means that they will be togeather forever as they pass on to Heavan!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,There has never been anyone eles for my Dad than Mom! He often tells me,,,,,"I'm just bideing my time",,,,,,,,,,But has made a life for himself without her, alot of senoir citizen visits and Family time etc,,,,,,,,sad part is that His mind is very much in tact and now his body is finally giving in,,,,,,,,,sort of what we all have to put up with!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I'm going to visit him in a couple days,,,,,,,,,Thanks Paul,,,,,,

6. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks for your support! The walker has Tennis balls attached,,,,,A very Good invention!,,,,,Thanks!,,,,sis p.s. you are a very nice pearson! The photo is cute! it's kind of a cheesey smile!,,,,,,,,,,Thats Because when i was taking it i said "Dad Smile" lolol,,,

I, too, am so sorry to hear of your dad's fall..broken ribs are no picnic..they are painful and take a bit of time to heal..

It is difficult to see the delcine of one's of the things that has kept me going through all of the illnesses and falls that my folks have gone through, is looking back on what a wonderful childhood they gave me and my sister and I just spoke about this a few days ago. We were never rolling in $$$, but, we were happy..the evening meal was always a special time for us to talk about the day's events and anything else that came to mind. My parents were good teachers..they taught us about life..right from to treat people with respect..and to know that when times did get tough, the family stood together and we got through whatever challenges were thrown our way..

What a great picture of you dad..I wish him and your family well..

Take care..

8. fivesue

fivesue New Member

now there is one. We have watched the decline of our parents...Jim's were in their 90's and my dad in his 80's...from canes to walkers to...

My dad died from a pulmanry disease that has no known cause and no is always fatal. Except for that, he would still be going strong.

Jim's parents were in their 90's...his mother had several falls from which she recovered even in her advanced years. So, your dad will probably recover also. It will be painful, but I'm so glad that it wasn't something like a hip.

My best to you all. Hang in there. Your dad looks great, good personality and lots of fun, I would guess.

Take care...bake him some COOKIES! (-:

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he can recovery some of his mobility and independence.

10. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou all For your kind words of support! I knew i wasn't the only one going through this! it's a Fact of life ,,,,,,and such a Sad one!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,one by one they lose their abilities to do stuff! It's going to happen to all of us eventually,,,,,,,,,,,,,Jb great childhood memories are ever present with us too!,,,,,Lindy,,,,your mom sounds like my Dad! Not going down without a fight! lol
    Sue~~~~ Your right It could Have been a hip! sorry about your losses also,,,,,,your Dad,,,,

Rockgor~~~~~ I'm hopeing he makes a great recovery also we'll just have to see,,,, all i know is that i'm goin to keep on going for the short walks and hikes everyday to stay strong!