My dad is coughing blood

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lenasvn, Jan 13, 2007.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Oh, my gosh.

I didn't hear from my dad on my 40th birthday. Not that it matters, but it was unusual for him to forget- he have never forgotten anyones birtday (yes, unusual for a man,,,LOL!).

Well, I waited for an email. Know that my family are in Sweden, long ways away.

I have no long distance on my phone and had to wait for funds and opportunity to buy a phonecard so I could call him.

Well, today I finbally got it done. I got to ask him if he is ok? I had this bad feeling those past days. He said he has been very weak and slept alot during the days. he said he is coughing up blood. I tried to not sound worried and didn't ask for any details, I had only a few minutes on this card and my son wanted to talk to his granddaddie.

It worries me though. I sent another email to ask how long this has been going on. I will have to wait until he feels strong enough to sit by the "puter".

My dad is difficult, he is 71, from the old school of thought that going to docs won't do any good. I am sure he never went to find out whats wrong. He have been a pipe smoker his whole life, a typical seabear per say- he was in the navy for ages.

I don't know why I am writing, maybe just a tap on the shoulder, or ideas of what it can be. I am suspicious, thinking lung cancer. i have heard from family (my parents divorced when I was 12) that he have gotten skinny lately, and he was skinny before getting this way.

Oh, well. This makes me think that I need to get home sooner rather than later. i wanted to move with my children back to sweden for a while, but poor finaces have stopped me. If it wasn't for that I would already be on my way.

Thankis for listening, I couldn't do without this board and the support here!

Hugs, all
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

My mom & sister have both said in the past that if you're ever coughing up blood, get the ER ASAP. They are both ER nurses. I'm not sure how you could go about it, but is there anyone you could talk to over there that could get him seen by a doc? I know how stubborn people can be too. You must feel very helpless being so far away! Good luck & I wish you the best with this! Laura
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I'll send an email to my sister, she's of the same kind (no doc visits) but she usually tell everyone else to go,,,what a family!

4. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Lenasvn:

I agree, your dad should see a doctor ASAP. There are many reasons that he could be coughing up blood, some are serious, and some are not too bad. I have coughed up blood due to a bad can sometimes be easy to break blood vessels in your lungs. I think that it depends on if the blood is bright red or brownish (old). Either way, I would suggest that you get your sister to get him to see a doctor.

I know how hard it must be for you to be on the other side of the world. I have been through the same thing with my dad...who was sick with liver cancer, and going to doctors (through the VA) on a monthly basis. They missed his cancer and when it got bad enough for me to fly back to CT from CA and take him to the VA Hospital, he was near death. They operated to remove a tumor in his intenstines and then looked at his liver, thinking that they could buy him some time by removing some of the tumor there, but his entire liver was replaced by tumors. He died just a month later, 24 hours after being released.

Do what you have to do...

Good luck and I will be thinking of you.

5. kriket

kriket New Member

6. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I understand the concern you must have for your Father.
    Do you have any siblings, cousins etc. that you might
    be able to get some info. from? Thinking that under
    your circumstance that the Red Cross may be willing to
    help you with communication with him in Sweden or the
    Salvation Army.

Hopefully some of our medical Board Members may have a
    suggestion(s) of what may cause the cough and bleeding.
    You really have plenty to handle on your own and I'm
    so sorry this has become an understandable added concern.

Others I'm sure will have some constructive suggestions
    for you as well. Hope you and the children are doing
    well otherwise! Take care Lena,

7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thank you everyone.

I've had this unexlained urgency feeling that I need to get back home sooner rather than later.

Just to show my fancy dad I added a picture of him on his way to walk the dog ( a wiener)!
  8. kriket

kriket New Member

How is your dad doing? Did he go to the doctor and find out what was making him cough up blood? Just concerned.