My dad is in the hospital- update

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alaska3355, Jan 20, 2007.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

He has diabetes and it is affecting his heart. He's been having episodes of very low pulse rate and irregular heartbeat. He was wearing a monitor and it went off and he fed the info from the monitor into the phone for his cardiologist (cool, huh?). Anyway, they sent an ambulance and picked him (and Mom) up. He had a shock device inserted that will shock his heart if the pulse goes below 50. They are considering a pacemaker but are waiting to see it this will be enough for him. Please keep him in your prayers. He's so stubborn!
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2007]
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow The Technology today huh! I'm praying for Dad and you and Mom!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,,S
  3. kholmes

kholmes New Member

That cardio technology is pretty cool. But I hope your father is okay, and I'll keep him in my prayers.
  4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

He, and your entire family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank heaven for the monitor! I wish him the very best of health.

5. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

I will keep you, your Dad and Mom in my prayers. As said before make sure that you take care of yourself.

I really understand about a stubborn Dad. I have one like him. A few months ago he was very sick. I had to threaten him either down to immediate care or I called 911. We went to immediate care and they immediately called an ambulance and we went to the hospital. His oxygen level was down to 83% and he was in critical care for five days.

They seem to get so stubborn as they get older. Please know that you are in my prayers as well as your dear Dad and Mom.

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I appreciate your prayers. They took out his shock device but didn't tell him why and he didn't get a clear answer....come on, Dad! But he's on a strict diet and they are biding their time on making a decision on a pacemaker....maybe to make him stay on the diet longer, LOL. He is happy to be able to watch football, at least. Not loving the diet, though.....
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hope your dad recovers and does OK. Blessings and angels sent. Love Annie Cromwell
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope your dad is doing well.

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I appreciate your info, Niece. I think they are going to send him home without a pacemaker or even the temporary one he was using for a few days.....they decided to adjust his meds and diet and see how he does. I'm afraid he'll be in for another quick ambulance ride- my poor Mom.
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Best wishes for him and thinking of you.

11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

They still haven't put in the pacemaker. His heart responded to the meds and now it is they need to make adjustments. I hope they put in the pacemaker soon.....Thanks for writing!
  12. Busyknitter2

Busyknitter2 New Member

You, your dad, and family are still in my thoughts and prayers.

Please remember to take care of yourself. Keep us posted.

God bless; Pam
  13. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

They put in the pacemaker today! He had sounded so depressed this morning when I talked to him, he hates being in the hospital for so long. So now we have progress...he should only be in a couple of more days to make sure all is set with the pacemaker......thank you for your prayers!
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

Glad to Hear the Good news! Hope he gets to come home soon!,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs!,,,,,S
  15. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Weak as a kitten, but happy to be home. They don't live at all near us (they're in Arkansas) so I won't be able to go there and help out. My sister may go soon- I'm sure my mom is feeling her hands are full. But I'm thankful that the operation went well and now he just has to mend.
  16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I haven't been online to read posts for a few days I am so sorry to hear about your Dad but so thrilled by the time I got to your last post that he finally got his pacemaker! It is amazing what they can do no days huh? Thank goodness.

My dad is a very stubborn diabetic also. He does not take care of himself as he should except he does go to his doc regularly and take his meds but that is it. He has gained so much weight, he eats all the wrong foods and is getting up there in age. He is aging me with worry about him!

I will keep you all in my prayers, I know it is hard for you not being near him.

Please keep us updated on his progress!

17. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Hey, your dad sounds exactly like my dad- eating the wrong foods, gaining weight. I hope this hospital time has an effect on his eating habits. Like your dad, at least he goes to the doctor(s) when he is supposed to. My dad has to really cut out salt, too. He was using it quite liberally, I guess. The weird thing is that my dad's only brother recently died from complications from diabetes. He had gone so far downhill- amputations, blind, using a scooter to get around at all, etc. You would think my dad would be scared into diet changes before now, but he wasn't. I'll keep your dad in prayer as well! Terri