My daugher's visit to the rhematoid doctor..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karbear, Nov 14, 2002.

1. karbear

karbear New Member

Hello, Just wondering if anyone has a child with Cnronic Myofascial Pain,my 13 year old was diagnosed a few months back with this,but today the rhematoid doctor said he is leaning more the way of diagnosing her with FM..she has many tender points,sleep problems,concentration problems,which is affecting her school major,muscle soreness and weakness,chest pains,(which she is seeing a cadiologist next month),back pain,knee pain,etc.....she has had problems for years,she also has very bad acid reflux. The poor girl is always dragging and sick feeling.Its been about 5 years of symptoms with no answers,all the testing in the world and nothing ever found wrong...so its kind of a relief that we are finding out now what we are dealing with. I have FM and its he-- somedays to deal with, I can't imagine being 13 and dealing with this...Not sure what I can do about school,she misses so much of it,does terrible on testing because of her poor memory..I just feel so bad for her and I want to help her as much as I can..I also wondered if my five year old could possibly have the same ..she has had knee problems for two years now, always says her legs are tired and they hurt if she sits a long peroid, at night her legs are so restless ,she is always kicking and moving them,and she also has trouble falling asleep then in the morning she doesn't want to wake up..she was sent for MRI of her leg and they say there is a small tear in her cartilage,but I wonder cause she still has alot of knee pain and says legs are tired all the time and wants to be carried..is it possible for her to have this also and what do I do about this ??? She has alot of problems that we have dealt with with her sister for the last 5 years,,I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the same thing.....Its alot to deal with and now I have my two girls I'm worried about,cause this is soo hard somedays for me,everyday being in pain ,you want to wake up just for one day without any pain..........sorry for rambling,I just needed to vent to someone that understand all this mess !! thanks this is a great board !!! god bless all of you,,Karin
  2. karbear

karbear New Member

Hello, Just wondering if anyone has a child with Cnronic Myofascial Pain,my 13 year old was diagnosed a few months back with this,but today the rhematoid doctor said he is leaning more the way of diagnosing her with FM..she has many tender points,sleep problems,concentration problems,which is affecting her school major,muscle soreness and weakness,chest pains,(which she is seeing a cadiologist next month),back pain,knee pain,etc.....she has had problems for years,she also has very bad acid reflux. The poor girl is always dragging and sick feeling.Its been about 5 years of symptoms with no answers,all the testing in the world and nothing ever found wrong...so its kind of a relief that we are finding out now what we are dealing with. I have FM and its he-- somedays to deal with, I can't imagine being 13 and dealing with this...Not sure what I can do about school,she misses so much of it,does terrible on testing because of her poor memory..I just feel so bad for her and I want to help her as much as I can..I also wondered if my five year old could possibly have the same ..she has had knee problems for two years now, always says her legs are tired and they hurt if she sits a long peroid, at night her legs are so restless ,she is always kicking and moving them,and she also has trouble falling asleep then in the morning she doesn't want to wake up..she was sent for MRI of her leg and they say there is a small tear in her cartilage,but I wonder cause she still has alot of knee pain and says legs are tired all the time and wants to be carried..is it possible for her to have this also and what do I do about this ??? She has alot of problems that we have dealt with with her sister for the last 5 years,,I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the same thing.....Its alot to deal with and now I have my two girls I'm worried about,cause this is soo hard somedays for me,everyday being in pain ,you want to wake up just for one day without any pain..........sorry for rambling,I just needed to vent to someone that understand all this mess !! thanks this is a great board !!! god bless all of you,,Karin
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I feel so bad for you and your girls, how terrible for a child 13 to have this horrific illness!

I can't relate to your girls, my three children are all grown and none of them have any signs of Fibro.

I did encourage my daughter to take malic acid and magnesium, and to drink her weight in ounces of water per day.

The magnesium is something we do lack, and as for the water, I never drank water in my life, except to take a pill!

Since I started, my memory has improved at least 80%, and the magnesium has helped greatly with the pain.

I hope you get some help for all three of you soon. I will keep you in my throughts and prayers, my heart really goes out to you.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. tamara!

tamara! New Member

that was me growing up. I'm now 31 and was just dx with fm about 6 mos. ago. I've had "growing pains" all my life. I couldn't hold my legs out straight because it hurt and my muscles were always tight.Also I was always a lot stronger than other kids but my legs and arms hurt all the time. I missed mega days of school,so my mom homeschooled me. I couldn't go to sleep and I couldn'get up in the morning,still can't,i slept for an hour last night. The girls story sounds so much like mine. At least maybe they won't have to wait as long as I did for a dx. It was emotional he-- for me continually seaching for answers and not finding them. It felt so good to know that I have something "real" and I'm not "crazy". I too was always sick and went through lots tests.Another thing I think there maybe a genic predisposition for it because now that I know what it is I'm sure my dad and his mom had it. They also both had diabetes. I wondered why I had the same pains and symptoms as my dad but wasn't diabetic(still not). Stand together with each other someday they'll find a cure, until then we each have to find our own way.good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2002]
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

Sure sounds like the little one has it too! I've read that you can have Myofascial and FM together. Maybe the older girl could use a tutor. A lot of college kids do it for some extra bucks. Or or you can with dinners or laundry service, things they don't get at school!
    For all of you pan relief is the most important thing until we get a cure. Also heating pads, hot baths to relieve muscles. The girls need to get lots of rest. Maybe a whole day in bed after a busy day. Have friends over instead of going out. Make their bedrooms cozy, arranged to find things easily, filled with things they enjoy...TV, video games, board games, a phone, whatever makes it fun to be in and not just a place to be sick! Believe that someday we will have a cure! Have the girls read up on it! Maybe they'll go into medicine and find it! At the least they'll understand what is going on which helps a lot! Best wishes to you all!
  6. karbear

karbear New Member

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate any advice that I can get to help make this easier for all of us. I have gotten books about FM and I'm gonna find out all I can about FM. Its great to be able to talk with folks that have it and read what advice you give. Its been a great help also knowing I'm not alone. Again thanks so much, God Bless,,,Karin
  7. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

Karin, I am no doctor but would urge you to seek a doctor to test your youngest daughter's symptoms from another point of view! As I was reading your message, it SO sounded like my younger sister! She was exactly like that since childhood, but unfortunately, she was in her mid-twenties before she found a doctor who actually isolated the problem. In my sister's case, it turned out that she had one kidney smaller than the other, and that there was a major problem with one of the renal arteries. Her knees were actually not the problem, but the docs were focusing on that instead of the restless leg, kicking type of thing. I think it would be too coincidental to believe that your daughter has the same thing, but I what I am trying to get across is that there are often causes for these types of things that few docs ever investigate! They are looking for the obvious and fail to consider other possibilities. I hope you can find help for her before she endures the years of misery my sister did! My prayers are with you and your girls...
    Stormy
  8. karbear

karbear New Member

Thank you for your response. I will have a doctor check my youngest,I'm sure this is what she is dealing with also. I am sorry your sister had to endure so many years of pain before being diagnosed...I just hope we can help her before she has to deal with years of this stuff and pain...shes too young to have to deal with this!! Again,thanxs and God Bless,Karin
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix New Member

you can have both FM and CMP...trust me.

I am so blessed.

Just think about having a toothache over your whole body (the CMP) and, then, turning up the volume to wide-open(the FM).
  10. teach6

teach6 New Member

I would suggest that you check with your school district about homebound schooling for your daughter. Most districts have this for students who are unable to attend school on a regular basis due to health issues.

Another option would be to get a 504 plan for her. This would qualify her for extra help, or time on tests, if that would help. You might also be able to get some help from the special ed department through the ID if Other Handicapping Conditions (I think that's right). Your daughter's counselor at school should know how to help you with his. Then she could get the extra help in school.

A 504 Plan is used when there is a medical condtion affecting your child, but she is not able to qualify for special services in any other way. Actually, now that I think of it, her memory problems may be enough to get her help for learning disabilities.

When I became really ill last fall I suddenly knew what all my learning disabled kids had been going through all those years. It gave me a whole new appreciation for them, and an ability to spot problems even faster, except that I am no longer able to teach.

Barbara