My Divorce is Getting Worse

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hello again. Some of you may remember I am going through a hideous divorce. I can't work at all, haven't been able to work since the mid-1980s. I have 3 girls, 13, 9 and 9. I had a meeting yesterday with my Ex and his lawyer and my lawyer. Ex announced that he wants half of the life insurance policy which I am the beneficiary of. I had mistakenly assumed that since I own the policy, pay the premiums, and am the beneficiary, I get to keep the policy. WRONG! It's half his, and he is fighting to get the right to declare somebody else to be the beneficiary of half of the life insurance proceeds (presumably some future girlfriend or wife). My attorney is taking the position that since I am disabled, I should get all of the insurance proceeds. Any opinions? Thanks.

Hippo
  2. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Hello again. Some of you may remember I am going through a hideous divorce. I can't work at all, haven't been able to work since the mid-1980s. I have 3 girls, 13, 9 and 9. I had a meeting yesterday with my Ex and his lawyer and my lawyer. Ex announced that he wants half of the life insurance policy which I am the beneficiary of. I had mistakenly assumed that since I own the policy, pay the premiums, and am the beneficiary, I get to keep the policy. WRONG! It's half his, and he is fighting to get the right to declare somebody else to be the beneficiary of half of the life insurance proceeds (presumably some future girlfriend or wife). My attorney is taking the position that since I am disabled, I should get all of the insurance proceeds. Any opinions? Thanks.

Hippo
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've been through divorce, 17 years ago, and I know how awful it is. There is life after divorce, actually improved life once one gets through the tough part.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

My first question is who is the policy covering. If it is him then it seems to me that you, being disabled should be entitled to be the sole beneficiary, or you and your children, or a trust for them.

I have a friend who is divorced and permanently disabled. Her ex is required to keep a rather large life insurance policy on his life with her as the beneficiary. He is a doctor, so he can afford this.

Her children were grown when they divorced, but mine were not when I was. Part of my agreement requires both of us to keep a life insurance policy to cover education expenses for our kids until they complete their undergraduate degree, or reach a certain age.

I hope this is helpful. You need an attorney who is willing to fight for your rights. I found it was not possible for me and my ex to sit down and try to negotiate, even with a mediator present.

Barbara
  5. herblady

herblady New Member

he needs to do everything possible to keep your b^%$*& husband's grubby paws off what's yours. he sounds like a jerk. cindi
  6. Hippo

Hippo New Member

The policy is on HIS life. I am the owner of the policy and also the beneficiary. I pay the premiums. I am 50 and may be disabled for the rest of my life. I hope this answers your questions.

Hippo
  7. jami117

jami117 New Member

I assume that your husband will be paying you permanent alimony and child support for the three children if they are going to live with you. I would argue that there should be a policy on your husband's life that would cover the child support 'til a certain age - some state laws determine this - and that would cover the alimony for your expected life-time since you are unable do work due to disability. Or, if you're getting s lump-sum settlement that you can invest, maybe the policy would need only to cover the child support with you still the beneficiary on their behalf. You need to discuss his request in the context of other agreements you are reaching. If the payments on the policy have been made with community money, basically money that was not yours alone before the wedding, then he probably has a right to half of the policy, but talk to your attorney about your state laws regarding protecting child support payments. He might have to use "his" half to meet that obligation. Good luck! jami
  8. Hippo

Hippo New Member

My Ex is fighting lifetime spousal support, and claims I can work. We have to go to a trial. Hopefully the judge will rule in my favor and I will get the lifetime spousal support AND the life insurance.

Hippo

[ advertisement ]