My doc did a drug test on me

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sdmay3, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sdmay3

sdmay3 New Member

My doc refused to give me anything else for pain because there is no medical reason for me to be in so much pain. He referred me to a pain doc. I had to go to a rheumatologist yesterday and went to the hospital to pick up copies of my last set of labs so he wouldn't run the same tests again. Well I was shocked when I opened it up and saw that he had also done a drug test and checked me for cocain, methamphetamines, and the whole list of illegal drugs. I really feel like my privacy was invaded.

No, I did not have anything to hide and everything was negative. But I do feel like he should have told me that he was doing this test. He has never even asked me if I do drugs.

I could understand him doing this test if he was just make sure I was not a drug seeker before giving me pain pills. But since he won't even give that any more that couldn't be his reasoning.
  2. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

bring it up to him at your next visit. He won't give you meds, yet he has you tested for drugs without your knowledge?

I would have a big problem with his ethics and would look for a more reasonable and compassionate doctor else where.
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

This was against your knowledge? Not related to any emergency room treatment where you could not speak for yourself? No signed agreement between you two?

I believe you have a real problem here. At the very least, you had to pay for these labs that you did not authorize. I would try to get some guidance from someone more in the know then I, and then have a meeting with this doctor. Ethically, way out of bounds. Legally, I'm not sure you have to pay for this .... without your consent. You hired him.... not the other way around.

Good luck,

Elsa
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Dear, it wasn't clear which doctor ordered the tests, but ALL DOCTORS HAVE TO GET A WAIVER TO TEST FOR DRUGS, ETC. LIKE THAT. HE HAS VIOLATED YOUR RIGHTS, BIG TIME. ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SUE, AND ENOUGH FOR YOU TO REPORT HIM TO THE BOARD.

However, if the pain med guy did it, then most of them have a disclaimer on their records where they will clearly tell you that you accept that they may test you at any time for drugs. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THEY USE A VERY GOOD LAB AND THE BEST TEST AVAILABLE. THE CHEAP ONES CAN AND DO SOMETIMES HAVE FALSE POSITIVES.

The pain docs do test virtually all of their patients on the first visit, and then may do it periodically to protect THEMSELVES from being accused of just dispensing narcotics and things without a reason. Many of them get accused of all kinds of things, so they protect themselves that way.
  5. Rose_Red

Rose_Red New Member

As frustratiing as it is - it's much more common than people think. With the black market sales of Rx's at an all time high (pun intented) all these doc's care about is covering their you know what.

Most PCP's won't carry your pain meds at all. Pain spec's IMHO are not much more than narcotic drug dealers. Other than pain doc's, who is willing to keep writing scripts as long as you pay them once a month and they make sure that you're not taking anyone else's drugs.

I stopped seeing the pain spec when all they wanted to do was continue writing Rx's. Sorry - I have a kid and live way out in the country - I have to be able to drive 12 miles just to get a gallon of milk!

I got into a heated argument with his nazi-like nurse who flat out told me "You don't get to see the doctor and you don't get anymore pills until you fill this cup." Sometimes causing a scene is worth every second of it! Especially my next and last visit when I demanded my resluts because I knew they were negative. I really think that they like their patients as tranquil sheep.

I fall into 2 'risky' categories. I'm 32 and I guess I'm finally outgrowing the 'you're too young - you must be a prescription junkie' mindset AND I wear cut-up t'shirts. Oh no - I'm not all spit and polished around the edges - that means I must be a drug addict right? WRONG!

I would definetly take this up with your doc. How are you supposed to go to this person when your trust has been betrayed. If you can't trust your doc then there is no relationship. There's nothing wrong with drug tests but I do think that people need to get a grip on how they use them.