My Doc Says I Have Rotator Cuff Tendinitis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Jan 7, 2003.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

But I'm not sure he's right. From what I've read about this condition, I would expect my shoulder to hurt all the time. It doesn't. It hurts when I move my arm up or out, but not if I move my arm so that my hand is toward my head instead of out and away from my head. If I'm careful, or if I stretch the muscle first, I can even reach up or out without too much pain. The problem is that I don't always remember to stretch the muscle first--and stretching doesn't *always* work.

Also, sometimes it feels as if the ball is slipping out of the socket in my shoulder. (I forgot to tell the doctor this, which may be relevant to the diagnosis.) I also seem to get pain in my elbow when I reach the wrong way.

I spend a lot of time at the computer, and I use a mouse a lot when I'm working on my music. I understand that this can cause or at least aggravate rotator cuff tendinitis. So maybe my doctor is right.

I seem to recall a message from somebody on this board who said she(?) either had rotator cuff surgery or was going to have it. Was that related to fibromyalgia in some way? I was wondering whether anybody else has experienced rotator cuff problems.

--Laur R.M.
  2. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

deal going on with my right shoulder rotator cuff. It will drop me to my knees if it's acting up and I try to open a window or something. It has been the most constant problem since I've been dx'd with fibro. I also have tennis elbow in my left arm, can't even pick up a glass of water without shooting pains. I'm left handed too. Such a lovely disease. N
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I had an injury to my Left Rotator cuff in the accident that started my FMS. Physical Therapy helped me immensely, but make sure if you try it to get a PT who knows about FMS, or they can destroy you instead of helping. I still do my PT exercises 3 x per week to keep my range of motion. It is not 100%, but I can raise my arm over my head now, and I could not even come close before the PT.
    Klutzo
  4. shania199643

shania199643 New Member

Just wanted to add that I have had 3 surgeries on my right shoulder the cartlidge has been repaired all 3 times and the surgeries did not take. I have since been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. They have recently done another MRI and it is showing that it is torn again. I am also developing problems with my left shoulder. Just wanted to add that I would not recommend surgery for the rotator cuff with anyone being diagnosed with Fibramyalgia. Since 3 surgeries and 2 years of pt I am no better off than I was before I had the first surgery.
  5. RedB

RedB New Member

I'm not sure from your description, but that sounds an awful lot like the way my shoulder felt this summer. It got worse and worse after a summer of swimming out to the sandbar and back, plus lifting my 1 year old grandson on the 3 days a week I babysit. My rheumy actually told me I had bursitis of the shoulder, and a quick shot of cortisone fixed me up. It has been better now for months. I was amazed to know that some of my pain could actually be caused by something other than my Fibromyalgia! Because I try to be upbeat about my illness, no one usually bothers to check anything anymore. This was a definite relief.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

His ART therapy seems to be sooooo effective against tendonitis in the wrist, why not the shoulder? With FMS, the tendons are damaged and weak. My bicep tendon ruptured requiring very serious surgery. I hope Mel comes along to tell you about the ART.

Love, Mikie
  7. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I did a little Internet research, and it appears that rotator cuff tendinitis and bursitis are the same thing. I'm just not sure that's my problem--or at least not my only problem. Ever since late afternoon today, the muscles in my upper arms (biceps and, I think, triceps) have been hurting, in addition to the shoulders. Most of the day, the right arm has felt worse, but at the moment, my left one aches more. It feels as if somebody has been throwing baseballs at my upper arms! I took some buffered aspirin, but it didn't help much. And right now, reaching doesn't hurt as much as the muscle ache/bruised feeling in my arms between shoulder and elbow!

How can I expect anybody else to get a handle on this, when I can't figure out what's going on myself?

<grrr!!!!>

--Laura R.M.[This Message was Edited on 01/07/2003]