My Docs seem concerned, finally..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

For anyone insufficiently excited with the plethora of aches and pains posts I have a slight change of topic...docs seem nervous.

I mentioned I was returning to my forner medical network, taken from them by ex who wanted to see docs more ethnically suited to him..I'll say no more...except, most docs trained overseas who come here ready to practice are not the kind I would trust my health with. But for the sake of domestic peace I didnt see a decent doc for 4 years.

That said, I already saw my gastro last week and saw a new rhuemi who ordered 9 tubes of bloodwork. I was happy to see my former family doc who was actually kind, compassioante, listened to general details of why I had to leave his care and what I'd been diagnosed with. He immediately told me FM is not psychosomatic, it is a very distinct (used anotehr word) diagnosis and as someone here already said, you either have it or you dont. The 1st rhuemi said I did and the 2nd rhuemi's tests were already on the hosptial computer. Doc pulled them up and sure enough, I got it, full blast with elevated somethings (he didnt specificy, he wants me to wait and speak with rhuemi) and very deficient in Bs and Vitamin D. This is strange considering I take special natural vitamins daily.
    I told him I had shrunk 2 inches in a year (we checked again, I did) Doc asked me right away if I'd ever had a bone scan and ordered a DEXA done ASAP. He also wants me to see a neuropsychiatrist for a cognitive evaluation, NOT a psychiatric evaluation.
    What my plan is, to cover all physical issues because I know I'm not nuts, I'm sick and depressed from being sick for so many years.
    I had a chiro session late afternoon. Chiro is keeping careful record of everything; every test result is charted.
    He is so upset my insurance company refused to cover medical equipment I need he said, 'let me handle this now, they're playing games I know how to play these games too, I'll send so many documents they wont know what hit 'em and lets see them refuse"
    But what I'm sensing from both family doc and chiro is a big shift from 'its all stress' wink wink to this is something to take seriously now.
    Its like going from invisible to suddenly being seen and heard after so many years. I cannot explain the feeling of gratitude to G-d for this gift. I really dont care now what they find, good or bad, I'm just relieved to be validated.
  2. Engel

Engel New Member

Gosh hun ... that is an awful lot. Glad to hear you found a "concerned & interested" DR. Good luck
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm so glad you have found some drs who care about you and your concerns. It is so gratifying to know you are validated as someone who know their own body and that the symptoms actually mean something, isn't it?

Did I understand you to say that you got a "better" insurance and are now able to see better trained drs because of it?

Forgive my pessism, but I've noticed that those witht the better health ins. plans get the better care also! If only all of us could afford the best....

Good luck to you in finding answers to your health problems, and in finding good treatment plans also! Do keep us posted...we care.

findmind
  4. Didoe

Didoe New Member

no...insurance hasn't changed, my domestic situation changed.
    my husband was the type who isolates his women in all ways. He totally cut me from friends, docs and actually wanted me to change jobs. Its control but more complex...a different website:)
    I dont think its a secret that private insurance offers patients much more than medicaid etc. Considering what I'm paid, which is not much more than what I would receive if I was on permanent disability, its a balance out on giving us good health benefits. I just wasn't able to make use of them because of complete lack of privacy and because the docs he insisted I use kept telling him "your wife is nervous" which is a favorite diagnosis in his country for women who complain about their health instead of suffering in silence while standing over a hot stove cooking.
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi didoe,
    I am SO happy for you to have finally found some medical support and validation!!!!!!!
    You have been thru the ringer lately, and i was worried about you, a person can only take so many put downs from idiotic docs without an occas. hand up.
    its hard to see all of the pain you have had ("aching..")and not be able to help you, and now you have found a good medical network to at least support you and believe you.
    very happy for you--have a great week end--L
  6. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

2" is nuts! Someone should be concerned!!

I was talking to my therapist about how Dr's are not listening to me, and she said "so you think people are not listening to you".....and I said "NO, they are NOT LISTENING to me!" What does it take anymore?? You have shrunk! That is visible!

BTW- My neuro said that years of pain will cause the body to react with depression, that it is a natural effect of the neurotransmitters. So, don't feel bad if at some point you need some boost to those. Pain takes a toll on the body overall, in many ways we cannot see.

I am glad you are getting some validation!
  7. I have shrunk 2 inches also, I am supposed to take the med that Sally Field has the commercial with. I have to start it and remember but I have heard bad things about that med also concerning the jaw. ugh! My bloodwork showed low B 12 also and am getting injections. So far I haven't noticed any difference with two down. good luck.
  8. Didoe

Didoe New Member

FMbutterfly
    I dont fit the osteo profile at all (caucasian, small boned, euro extract) and it didnt run on my mother's side. I didnt know my father's family except his sisters were very tall and large boned who lived into their 90s.
    my pants all drag on the floor now, its a hoot. i actually thought manufacturers were just cutting clothes differently.
    my coat sleeves hang down over my fingers. i find myself clutching my coat sleeve for support when i walk because of the intense pain when I probably should be using a cane for balance or support.
    My chiro was explaining height loss to me yesterday, saying "you know how little old ladies appear to be shorter?"
    I said "doc, I'm 53, its a little strange to discuss my health issues in the context of little old lady problems-- isn't it?"