My Doctor is Dangerous

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Aug 23, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

So far, my Doctor ordered something for me even though she knew I am deathly allergic. And I caught that in time. Literally saved my own life.

Now her next thing was, I came in because the new Armour thyroid formulation was causing severe crippling pain in my lower back and right leg and something has been happening to the joints and the discs. I almost went to the ER four times from the pain. So I went to her and I asked to be switched off the med. What does she do? "Oh, I'll just give you something to relax the muscles. Stay on the med." Yeah, right. Well, it started to go into the left leg and get worse and worse and I felt like I was going to end up in a wheelchair. So I stopped all meds and low and behold a few days later, the crippling pain is gone. I'm still getting some twinges, but it's going away. So I guess her plan, since she couldn't kill me off was to put me in a wheelchair??? And the muscle relaxant she gave me affects eyesight, so I guess if I'd listened to her I'd be crippled and blind???

Also, when I was in her office, she said I had a fever. She made me go immediately for bloodwork. The bloodwork showed my white cell count is up. She did NOTHING about it. Didn't suggest we investigate why it's happening. Didn't offer me an antibiotic in case I've got an infection going on. Nothing. And I was like, then why even bother to have me get the bloodwork in the first place? So I spent the weekend with the fever. It's better tonight on its own. But the point is, I went in to her office in terrible pain with a fever and an elevated white cell count and she was content to just not investigate further.

This doctor scares me. I just don't know who to go to anymore. The only thing she has done right so far, was to never say it's in my head. She really believes it's a physical disease. But in all other ways, she sux. She is now farming me out to an Endo, who will hopefully be much better. And she did say if I need a referral for a Rheumatologist, she will give me one. I'm hoping whatever damage the medication did is not permanent.

With docs like this, I'm better off self treating. And it just kills me, we go in for help and they make us worse. And then people wonder why I don't go for long periods of time. Well, this is why.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Sorry you're having such a bad time with your doc. I strongly believe we have to be our own doctors, we have to look out for ourselves. Way too many doctors do exactly what yours did - when we react badly to a med, they prescribe another one to take care of side effects, and then it just spirals.

The really bad part is that it is so hard to find a competent doctor who really listens and doesn't just prescribe drugs to mask symptoms. I don't have an answer for you there, but just keep on doing what you're doing - listening to your body, etc.

I hope you do find someone who can truly help --

3. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this doctor and how she is treating you.

You have a fever , go for blookwork and she does nothing?

Yes we have to be our own doctors and watch out for ourselves.

I hope you don't have any long lasting issues from taking the new
    Armour formulation. That's a good sign I think that it's mostly gone now.

Sending very gentle hugs your way, Keep us posted,
    I will keep praying that you find a doctor that will be able to help you.
  4. spacee

spacee Member

Personally, I would have moved on. I can only take a certain number of doctor errors and I call it quits. I can deal with the everyday ones..but the life threatening ones....goodbye.

It is hard to live that way but I can't stand to see them again after I have lost all confidence.

Hope you can find someone better than her.

5. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

The doctors usually just don't understand that people with CFS often can't handle medication. Unfortunately it's our job to educate them about that since we're in the minority as most of their patients can handle the meds. Now, if you try to educate your doctor and s/he doesn't believe you then you might want to thing about finding a different doctor.

As far as high White Blood Count goes, most of us have had those off and on with CFS and as far as I know, there isn't anything the doctors can do about it. Yes, they can give you antibiotics but if it's viral that won't help and you already know about antivirals.

I know how much it sucks to not be able to tolerate medication because I can't either.

[This Message was Edited on 08/25/2009]