My doctor is sending me to a Pain Clinic ! Does anyone have any experience

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sharon5650, Dec 30, 2009.

1. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I have been in so much pain, my doctor is sending me to a Pain Clinic, does anyone have any experience with this method ..??

I am also experiencing some stuttering too, this is so hard on me.

I also have severe osteoarthritis, so between the both I am in a darn mess and so depressed.
  2. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

Nice to see you again!

I have no experience with pain clinics, but I heard they are costly, but they do a decent job in controlling pain.

Doctors send patients to the pain clinics because of liability if the regular doctor gives pain meds and something bad happens.

So, it is just proceedure for them to send you to a pain clinic.

Will your insurance cover it? Do you have insurance?

I hope your pain gets under some control soon!

Fight :)
  3. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I went to a pain clinic-once! it was 80 miles one way, and they wanted me to commit to driving there 3-4 days per week for 3 months.....they danced around my question if they prescribed pain meds....when I got there, they said that no, they don't prescribe pain meds...that everyone that works here has pain and they just work through the pain with no meds....the doc was a D!@K.....please excuzio.....

this was the strangest pain clinic....anyways, hubby and i went to get lunch before the afternoon session of my intake appointment.....and never went back!!! he called and told them to let someone on their "waiting list" have my spot....and we journeyed home...just the stupid morning appointment flattened me for days....

it was great to have had a witness (my dear old hubby) to tell my family doc that yes, the doc there really is awful and they weren't going to take care of my pain...that doc was quoting some "leading doc" on fibro and had printed handouts that were full of incorrect information about fibromyalgia....i s'pose we are supposed to believe anything that is printed out on a must be true, then....HA!

so, this was an example of a BAD pain clinic....this is what you DON:T want! I know there are other people that have had good experiences.....hopefully they will get on here and tell you about it....I don't want to discourage you....just share my not so great experience....
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

There are many people who say pain clinics have been a God send to them - it's a matter of finding the right one/right Dr.

Dr's do not necessarily only send patients to pain clinics because of liability. My Dr. has treated me for several years, but suggested I visit one because my level of pain was beyond her level of expertise. I visited one once (didn't jive with this particular Doc), and my Dr. agreed to continue to treat me.

The one I went to, only needed to see me once a month in the beginning, then of course you go pick up your scripts once a month.

If you have health insurance, it should cover pain management.

Are you already on pain medication? If so, your Dr. should be able to help refer you to one that treats with narcotics. It's pretty hard to go from being on them, not getting adequate relief, to trying to find MORE relief but having to go off.

Tell us more about your current situation. Is your Dr. now prescribing anything and you need more help or is he unwilling to prescribe at all?

LISALOO New Member

I got sent to one, they said, "No we don't prescribe pain killers, is that what you were told" Yes!. Then he said, "You need to exercise. I said I have post-external malaise, I can't. He said, "Yes, that's a diagnostic for CFS.

He didn't understand that just because it's a diagnostic it doesn't go away. He didn't understand that I still have it. He wasn't me to go to physical therapy.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/31/2009]
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

That sucks. (to put it bluntly!) I think for those people whose Dr's won't help them, often times Pain Clinics are the only chance they have. Like I said, one has to find the right one!

I don't want to give Pain Mgmt a bad name AT ALL, like I said, there have been so many people who have great understanding docs at them.

When I went, I found out from the nurse while she was filling out my paperwork, that the Dr. I was to see actually had Fibro. WOW, I thought, fantastic, she'll certainly understand! When she came in, I told her I was certainly sorry to hear she had it, but it was comforting to know she knew where I was coming from. Her reaction was less than what I expected! She said something's not necessarily a good thing, you can't pull anything over on me or tell me anything I don't already know.

That kind of set the tone of the whole appt. From there, I caught her in a few contradictory statements, so it didn't leave me feeling very comfortable. Yoga was her prescription for me.

My rheumatologist now that I see - who I drive to see, is my "pain mgmt" guy. I signed a contract etc. with him. VERY knowledgable Dr. I started seeing him only for a second opinion and another resource for my regular Dr. Now I have him treating me exclusively.

The key- find someone who is knowledgable, open-minded, understands that pain relief = quality of life - whether that be a pain clinic doc or another!
  7. fight4acure

fight4acure Member

I guess it depends on what pain clinic you go to.

Make sure first that you do your research. I'd do what I do, if I were you. I'd call the clinic, ask to speak with the doctor, in which they will transfer you to a nurse's voice mail. Tell them you have CFS, FMS, and severe OA, and that you have lots of questions for them. Then see how long it takes for them to call you back regarding the questions you have for them, that you haven't given in detail. Have a list of questions ready for them, such as:

1) How long has this clinic been open?

2) How long has the doctor been a doctor at the clinic?

3) How long ago did s/he get his MD?

4) What board certifications does s/he have and are they current?

5) What does s/he think about this illness? Does he know the current research being done?

(This question is vital if you want your pain to be treated seriously. So do not let them get away without answering this specifically.)

6) What are the methods in which s/he might treat this illness?

7) Is he opposed to giving pain medications for people with my illness?

8) Are there follow-up appointments, and how many?

9) How many other patients with CFS/FMS who also have OA has s/he treated in the last five years? Or year if they don't remember.

We have to be anal about the doctors we see nowadays, because there is so much ignorance out there.

Fight :)
    [This Message was Edited on 01/01/2010]
  8. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i've been sent to two different pain clinics.

the first one i went to, when i told the doctor i had FM, he rolled his eyes at me. i decided to not go back, because he obviously wasn't going to believe me or help me.

the second one wasn't any better. when he first came in, he said, "i don't treat FM with pain medicine." i got a little upset and teary (because i was feeling desperate for some help). that must have convinced him i was only depressed, so he sent in a therapist to talk to me, and gave me all kinds of numbers for mental health.

i havn't had any luck with pain clinics, but i know others have. best wishes to you.
  9. loto

loto Member

My family doctor sent me to one before I was diagnosed with FM.
    I told the clinic doctor that my biggest pain at the time was in my neck. So he proceeded to "feel around" on my neck, check reflexes, etc., and then said he couldn't find anything wrong with me. Just by that short exam! He suggested I get some physical therapy and see a counselor.
    HA! By that time I was just disgusted so just kind of said yeah, yeah, yeah so I could get the hell out of there. Some doctor he was!
    Anyway, I went back to my family doctor and said that quack was no good and eventually got more tests done and ended up with the FM diagnosis.
    I think after that experience I'll never go back to a pain clinic again.
    I, too, have a contract (for the pain meds) with my doctor, and am relying solely on him now for my FM treatment.
    Hope u can find a good pain clinic if that's the route you decide to take.
    Best wishes!
  10. I went to one and they said all they do is give injections as an out patient at a hospital. Never gave me any meds. I quit going.