My Doctor Moved; Need New Michigan Doctor Fast

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dwa800, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dwa800

dwa800 New Member

I'm new to this board and freaking out. My GP recently informed me he was moving - and only gave me TWO weeks notice!! I have been on opioid/narcotics for past 8 years for chronic pain (see below), and now have to find another doctor, which scares me because I don't want anyone to think I am doctor shopping.

In addition to FMS (which I was diagnosed in 1992....when it was not widely known about, by my internist was up on it), I also have had 2 cervical spine surgeries, with permanent nerve damage, that causes intense burning pain down my arms. I also have chronic daily headaches that become migraine (or migraine-like) about once every 7-10 days, including aura, vomiting and need total silence and darkness. Also, I recently found out I have a herniated (not bulging) disck in my lumbar spine. This causes constant pain in my left leg (siatica nerve pain) all the way down to my foot - I literally can't stand stationary for more than 1 minute without feeling like I want to jump out of my skin.

Anyway, I am in metro Detroit and am needing to find a compassionate doctor that will listen and understand my situation and condition. The opioids make it possible for me to make it through the day. They do not have any effect on my mentally; rather, I am just able to function like a normal human being does without the medication.

If anyone can offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. I looked around on this board, but could not find anything that was a good match (doesn't mean it isn't out there; I just didn't come across it).

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Scared in Pain

Edit My Post | Delete My Post       

Reply     Add to Favorites Add to Friends Ignore this Post Ignore this User Report as Inappropriate
  2. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

3. dwa800

dwa800 New Member

...for the tip. I've done some research on several doctors and set up an appointment to see a new doc later this month. And, in the meantime, I contacted my former doctors office, which is still officially my doctor's office, although I have never been seen by the one other doctor in the practice, and the other doctor reviewed my chart and agreed to renew my prescriptions as they are running out in the coming days...and before my scheduled appointment.

Again, thank you for sharing the info, Jean (in Toronto); it is much appreciated!

DWA800 (in the "D" - Detroit)