My doctor said "Time's up!" and walked out! Need to vent!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Saoirse3, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Did anybody else ever have this? First of all, I was 10 minutes late to my appointment on Friday. My fault, my fault! But they wouldn't squeeze me in, even though I had been sick all night and had a fever. Said they could reschedule for Tuesday, too bad I was sick. Go to the hospital if it gets worse. Tuesday morning called at 8 AM. Could I come in in 15 minutes? The doctor was going to be "out" that afternoon, but can see me right NOW! Well, NO, I can't dress and be there in 15 minutes, because I'm fussy about who sees me in my pajamas! So, again, we reschedule for today.

I get there, and we are discussing my diabetes, when I ask about my pain levels. They are really high. And the pain patches made me sick. She looks at me and says "Your time is up!" and with that, walked out of the room! My husband was with me and he wanted to jump up and say something, but I wouldn't let him. "NOW you see what I deal with when you don't go with me. And even when you DO!"

My internal medicine doctor has said he would take care of diabetic supplies I need. But as far as pain management, I guess I'm on my own. Meds don't help at all any more. Am going to see a hematologist to find out why my blood is so crappy. I swear, it never ends! Can't wait to get OUT of this state! Thanks for listening!

Soft hugs,
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Stacey Iam so sorry you had to go thru that. The last time I saw my doc I was sobbing and begging him for help and he walked out!

His nurse wanted to bring him back in and I told her no he doesn't care. It was a disaster when I tried a new doc too.

This 15 min visit stuff drives me crazy. It's ok for them tho to keep you waiting for your appt. time!

Sadly the ER isn't any better these days. I hope you can find some pain relief.

soft hugs
  3. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I am SO sorry you were treated that way. That is totally unacceptable. I admit, I've been treated badly by some doctors, but I don't think I've ever had any say that and walk out of the room. How terrible!

I would say I would find another doctor, but I know how harrowing and difficult that can be, and how so many of them are like that now. So, I just offer my sympathy as well. I am so sorry.
  4. neoplus1

neoplus1 Member

start bringing audio and video recorders to doctors appointments and related appointments so that we can show people what it is really like trying to deal with doctors. Perhaps even present these things to medical review boards because this is absolutely ridiculous. I can't believe your doctor did that to you. I am so sorry that happened.

I am fortunate that I have never had a doctor do that to me. There are too many stories like this and doctors need to be held accountable. This has to stop.
  5. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

this is terrible

I saw a pen advertised on TV the other night that records conversations. Sorry I can not even tell you the name of it or even what channel it was on.~~Just a thought anyways...
  6. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Yes, and post the videos on YouTube! I bet that would get their attention for more than 15 minutes!!
  7. That is outrageous and unprofessional! While I've not had that exact situation happen to me, I've had more than my share of doctors over the years acting like.. well, to be blunt: jerks! In past years, I've left doctor's offices in tears. Needless to say, I don't have a very high opinion of traditional docs. Too many of them are in it more for the money and could care less about their patients. It is like trying to find a needle in a haystack to find a doctor who truly cares about their patients!

There's GOT to be a way to hold them accountable. I think the hidden camera or hidden audio is a great idea. What makes this so unacceptable is that folks who are ill or in pain are just desperate to get the help they need so that they can get their lives back on track.... and are feeling very vulnerable when they finally get to the doctor. And for doctors to be so cold and callous just adds to the patient's suffering. When this happens, it is a betrayal of trust. If more doctors would have the right attitude of being THANKFUL that a patient has put their trust in them and not abuse that privilege, more of us would get the help we need and doctors would receive more respect as well. (I'll get off my soapbox now!)

Again, I am so, so sorry that you had to go through that Stacey!! (Just curious... which state are you in?) You deserve better! We all do! I will pray that you will be led to a quality and caring doctor who will give you the attention and care you deserve! I know how hard it is for those of us with FM and ME/CFS just to get ready and get to the doctor! So to have that happen when you're struggling just to get there is heartbreaking!! I hope you get the help you need soon! I've had much better experiences with alternative medicine doctors, but I know those are few and far between in most areas. Let us know if you find a decent doctor! God bless you, Stacey! Praying for you!

Blessings and Soft Hugs,
    Shel :)

8. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

What a jerk your doctor is. I would demand a refund for your co-pay as you did not get any help or answers and the doctor was down right rude.

I understand that adoctors have a schedule to follow but they can at least spend their 15 minutes with you and talk with you instead of being so rude.
    So why is it that when I go to my rehumy and have an appointment at 2:30 ,

I get brought back to teh exam room have my vitial taken and wait for another 30 + minutes, he just starts to do an exam when the nurse comes in and tells him he has a phone call. and he is gone for 20 minutes. What should have been a half hour appointment has now turned in to over an hour and of that hour I have spent less than 15 minutes with the doctor, when he returns he tells me that we have to make this quick and I am not the one who has wasted his time, No he has wasted my time and my money.

I have a higher co-pay for my rehumy and if I am going to have to sit and wait for him to talk on teh phone, chat with the staff, and leave me sitting in the exam room for 30 minutes before I ever get to see him, I feel like i should be able to get my co-pay money back as I did not get to spend time with teh doctor discussing my case.
    I would call and make an appointment for a time when I know I will be on time. When you get taken to the exam room start timeing your doctor and see how long it takes him to get to you. Make sure that once he enters teh room he stays for 15 minutes and don't let him keep you waiting as it wil cut into your time with him.

If he leaves after a short time and you don't get the help you need demand your co-pay back and find a new doctor. I don't know if they will give you your co-pay back or not but this spending only 15 minutes with you and just walking out when it is up is rude adn does not say much for the doctor , he has a lousy patient relationship and a poor bedside manner. I would report him to the AMA and find a new doctor who does not have to alot such a small amount of time to spend with you as the patient.
    I am sorry that your doctor is so rude , It makes me so angry, if he is that busy that all appointments are 15 minutes and he keeps you waiting for longer than 5 minutes tell him you are adding on as many minutes as he was late getting to you. YOu should be just as important as any other patient adn should not have to wait and have him walk out on you for any reason.

OHH this irratates me so much, I Hope hta tyou can find a new doctor who cares more about his patients than his schedule. I am so sosrry that you were treated so badly.,
  9. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

We pay more for our insurance so I can have a PPO. I get more time, in fact about 6 months ago the doctor spent at least 45 min. trying to ease my mind and worries about something and make me understand what was happening.

And at times I HAVE taken in my small hand held tape recorder and asked them ahead of time if they mind if I tape so I can remember everything I've been told. Most doctors would have no problem with this. But you do have to inform them. I've also used it to tape phone conversations when I was having trouble with an insurance company.....told them this way I could remember everything.

And about l0 years ago I was treated very shabbily by a doctor so.....I called the administrator and complained. Apparently there had been other complaints and this doctor's contract was never renewed and she left. Another time I was told flat out by an urgent care doctor that I WAS not sick, nor did I have a sore throat.....BEFORE he even checked me out. I was hopping mad and called when I got home and gave the clinic an administrator a piece of my mind. I never saw that doctor again so apparently he was also dismissed. It really helps to let the proper person does nothing for you just to fume at home.

We have to remember.. the doctor is not God.......just a person with problems and situations just like us.