My doctor suggested prozac....if I can sleep good at night....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KathyM, Mar 19, 2003.

1. KathyM

KathyM New Member

I am willing to give it a try. I have been taking klonopin before bed for about 9 months; it has been a life saver. My pain management doctor suggested I try it. The fibromyalgia kept me from quality sleep for a long time, but I always assumed it was sleep deprivation from having kids. So, at my last appt. I explaied to my doctor that the klonopin is helping my sleep, but I am so wiped out by 1:00 in the afternoon that I can't even get out of a chair,or walk into another room. I told him it's the worst and longest lasting flare I have ever had. He said, "I think you are depressed." He said I should try prozac and to really give it a chance to kick in. I know I'm depressed because of the chronic fibro symptoms, but will the prozac help with secondary depression? I have tried so many supplements,healthy eating habits (usually) lol.....so I guess at this point, I want to give it a try, I just want to be able to sleep at night, and not feel jittery. I tried paxil one time, and felt so jumpy & irritable. It was a small dose too!!! I told my doctor I would think about it for a few days...It's been a few days!!! Any input here would be very appreciated. Any one kind of in the same boat. I finally feel like I am sleeping better, but during the day; I feel as if I am of no use to anyone, and I am missing out on so many things I want to do. I love my husband,and our two sons very much. I want to have the energy to be here for them. I know I said this would be short, but I guess I needed to vent more than I realized. Take care, Kathy
  2. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

For sleep I take loranzepam 1mg. and I get a good nights rest and DONT wake up feeling all drained. I dont take them all the time though. As for prozac I dont know anything about it ad I wouldn't take it any way. I only take hydrocodine every now and then. I rather do alternatives. Coral calcium!!! I dont want to take alot of meds. I also have a alpha stim 100 that my doc got me through my insurance company that helps, when I use it lol!! I put it up and forget abut it some times. Like out of sight out of mind!!!!!! I need to keep it by the reclyner sp! so I can use it more often like I use to because it sure helps. Also has ear clips for caranial (My spelling is terrible) for insomia and stress. Good luck to you.
  3. Debgene56

Debgene56 New Member

I am in the same boat. I start crashing early in the day too! I took prozac twice years ago. I had fibro then but not as bad as now. I was achey, fatigued, low energy, low interest. The prozac worked wonderful, I had no side affects except for anorexia. 16 and 13 pound weight losses. Prozac dose cause weight loss, some people loose a substantial amount. I slep better, lost my fatigue, my moods improved. The pill book said that 9% of people loose thier appitite on it. And 13% loose 5% or more of thier body weight. I am going to start a antidepressant in a few days. I wanted to try elavil, but sedation and dryness and weight gain come along with it. I took celexa and zooloft before, both I handled well with no bad sideaffects. On the celexa I started off on a tiny dose and went up. I will do the same this time. Good luck!
    Love, Deb
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Go to our library and read two articles by Dr. Cheney. The first one is on Klonopin and it does an excellent job of explaining why we can't sleep and how Klonopin helps. The second article is on the dangers of using SSRI-type antidepressants and stimulants. It will make sense if you have alread read the article on Klonopin.

Seems SSRI's can help in the short term but can cause long-term brain damage. I don't think SSRI's are good medicine for us, but there are people here who swear by them. You will have to decide for yourself.

Love, Mikie
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

I tried prozac and wellbutrin and neither made any difference in how I slept or felt. Am now taking neither and sleeping a little bit better thanks to Mel and his ZMA advice.
  6. KathyM

KathyM New Member

to all of you for your input. I try to stay informed; that is really all we can do right? You all take care, and I will keep you posted either way with my situation if you don't mind a long winded person (lol) Kathy
  7. mje

mje New Member

On the Prozac question. I was diagnosed for several years
    before I started Prozac. (My husband had a broken heal, so more tasks fell to me) I take Flexeral for stage 4 sleep, and it works for me. I only take 10 mg. prozac in the morning and after 3-4 weeks, my husband noticed I had a better attitude. My primary Dr. said it would smooth things over.. and that was so true. It has now been about 5 1/2 years on the 10 mg. It can interfere with stage 4 sleep, so FMS people are advised to take in the AM. I have never taken Klonopin so can not comment on that. If you try Prozac, be sure to give it enough time. Best regards to all. MJE
  8. srollins

srollins New Member

I love my Prozac. Been on it at least 12 to 15 years.I have tried other meds but came back to Prozac. For me it has been a God send.
    If you do decide to try it ,Give it at least 4 to 6 weeks to kick in.
    I take 6omg every morning, I'd hate to think what I'd be like without it. Actually I do know what I am without it and it's not a pretty picture!!!LOL
    Shirley
  9. lagm31

lagm31 New Member

I have been on PROZAC for 6 yr. now, and have gained weight. I would not go on PROZAC again...At first I thought it was helping my depression because I too have Fibro plus other things. But now I am noticing that I am getting more and more Depressed and there is a chance the Prozac is now working the wrong way. The Dr. has tried to up the quantity and I got mean and nasty to everyone.I have a Dr. appt. tomorrow to see if there is away we can wean myself off of this. Really think about it and do alot of internet checking on this product. It is called FLUOXETINE also.
    I know where you are coming from when you say you I feel as if I am of no use to anyone, and I am missing out on so many things I want to do or use to do. Never feel alone because you are not. We all have a shoulder if you need one.