My Dog Died Yesterday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luv2float, Jan 19, 2010.

1. luv2float

luv2float New Member

My heart is just breaking, my 14 year old shih-tzu just passed away in her sleep yesterday. It was such a shock! Also, my dad is in the hospital with a blood clot, he's 89. Talk about stress!!!

My fibro is beginning to flare and I can't stop crying. I can't believe she's gone, she was such a good dog and brought us so much joy. I've never had children and she was my baby. For any of you who have lost a beloved pet, I'm sure you understand what I'm going through.

I know what stress does to my health, I feel like a zombie just going through the motions, and this is affecting me not only emotionally but physically too. I don't know how to handle this to help myself. I'm so worried about my Dad too. My mom loved Millie so much too and she is a mess, she has heart problems and has been having chest pains.

My husband is being so loving and supportive and is so worried about me. He loved her too and is having a hard time. He's trying to be strong for all of us.

I had her cremated and should get her ashes tomorrow, I know that will kill me too. How best can I get through this and not suffer physically too?

I really hope there is a "doggy heaven".
  2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

My heart goes out to you. My 19 yr old cat died in '06 and the loss was shattering. She had lived with me through a marriage, divorce, 3 moves, my mother moving in, moving out, dying of cancer, a husband who had to have a dog, a dog was something she had never seen or smelled. The dog terrified her and she wound up living in a corner, remaining near my side of the bed as much as possible. She developed a tumor and within a year she died.

Her death came the same year my divorce was filed and while nursing my mother in a hospice until she too died. I will tell you the loss of this animal meant more than either other loss. And I say this because despite animals inability to say a human word, they know us heart to heart, better sometimes than those who can speak.

I will not tell you to consider getting another dog, that's your decision at some point. But one way of honoring the memory of your beloved dog is offering shelter to a homeless pup. You cannot replace one life with another, but you can love an animal and be loved in return. As someone with FM and RA I know how important it is to have someone as selfless as a pet.

best prayers and wishes for both of you...
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

{{{{{hugs}}}}} so sorry to hear about your loss......pets truly can be a part of the family & losing them is so will be in my thoughts & prayers
  4. quanked

quanked Member

to you luv2float. I lost my blond lab after 16 years in August of last summer. I miss her everyday and it still hurts so much. She gave me so much and taught me so much. I have her ashes but I just cannot deal with placing them yet.

I do not know what to tell you. Put one foot in front of the other and keep moving. I thought I would break the day my dog died. Life is less without her but life goes on.

I do think about her and smile now in the midst of my tears. I have to believe that she has gone somewhere wonderful.

You may want to be extra kind and gentle to yourself right now. Deep breathing and relaxation techniques could help lessen your increased pain. I remeber just sitting quietly for long periods of time as the tears would come and go while I thought about her. I understand your pain and loss.

What was your dog's name? My dog's name was Kiki. Maybe they will meet in doggy paradise : )
  5. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Luv2float,

I am sorry to hear about your dog passing. I cannot imagine how mentally tough you must be to be handling everything right now. I hope your father comes out of the hospital with no clots very soon!

You're in our thoughts.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your dog. I know it is a very traumatic event, and with your father in the hospital, I'm sure the stress on you is unbearable.

My daughter had to put her cat to sleep recently due to its cancer. It just broke her heart and she cried for days and was depressed for a long time. She, too, had no children and her two cats were like her babies. They had been with her for years.

From all the conversations with my daughter, I know what you are going through.

I'm certain that your dog will be joining my daughter's cat in pet heaven.

7. scarletstang

scarletstang New Member

I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious dog. I have been through it and it is tough, but it will get a little easier as time passes. Do something in time to honor your pet whatever that might be. I have two beautiful photos of my dear Chelsea hanging up and her ashes below them. She is always with us. Get Dad better and try to take a breather. And there's no doubt your little Angel is in Heaven.
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Sorry all these things are happening at the same time. My Shit-tzu Chester
    died two years ago. Don't know exactly how old he was. Got him from a shelter
    when he was a young adult. Had him for 17 years.

The people on the chit chat board were so supportive. And the Rainbow Bridge
    essay was helpful too.

I agree with the folks who say you can't replace her. But maybe in a while you
    will want another dog to love.

9. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

I Know it's hard to loose a pet, thier more than just a dog or cat, thier part of our family! they even hurt when we do, and are happy just to be with us.
    I honestly would be lost without my animals, they give me unconditional love when i don't even get that from Poeple!

i wish ther was something i could say to make the pain go away, but then only thing i can is She was loved and she knew it! And so were you:)

there are so many Dogs and cats waiting to find ther forever home in shelters, i hope when your ready you will get another angel. They help us so much.

I can't imagine any living thing that hurts when we hurt, loves us unconditionally,and would even give up their own lives for us, would not be in heaven.

Hoping your days will be easier
  10. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

I am so sorry about your little doggy. I lost my son five years ago and six months after he passed away our gentle loyal lab was hit by a speeding truck who didn't even stop, he ran the stop sign onto a busy road and roared away.

I truly believe their is a doggy Heaven, because I think that my son wanted to have his dog with him. They were close in that Buddy our dog had always stayed by my son's side and gone for all his walks with him, staying close by his wheelchair to protect him.

Take comfort in knowing that he is one of God's creations too and there just HAS to be a Heaven for them too.

May you find comfort from you sadness,
  11. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry about the loss of your dog. We've lost our dog and our cat in the last 4 years. Casey was 14 and the kitty was 18. It's very, very hard to go through. My husband still can't look at pictures of them.

I will pray for your father and mother as well as for you. I hope your dad is home soon and your mom can be calmer and that her chest pains are only from the stress.

Your husband sounds like a wonderful, loving person. Hugs, GB66
  12. cynicaldog

cynicaldog New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog, Luv2Float -- she was lucky to have someone who loved her so much, and you were lucky to have shared your life with such a wonderful companion! I run a cat rescue (but I have four dogs of my own), and although I deal with a lot of grief and loss, I can't imagine not having these amazing animals in my life.

You're right in thinking that you'll have some extra stress over the next little while because you're grieving, but I think you'll recover from it if you try to balance out the sad times with good memories, and if you take good care of yourself by getting lots of sleep and eating properly. It's important to grieve, and you won't do yourself any good if you try to bottle up your feelings. You'll miss your dog's presence, but I hope you'll find comfort in knowing you gave your dog the best life possible. The first month will be the most difficult, but in time the sadness will be replaced by acceptance and remembering.

I have to echo what someone else said -- in tribute to your dog, I hope you'll consider rescuing/adopting another one down the road. I think that's the best way to honor a beloved pet. With so many people losing their homes to foreclosure, there are thousands of dogs in shelters who are looking for loving new families (I see shih-tzus on rescue lists all the time). You sound like you'd be a perfect match for one of them, when you're ready.

P.S. I've my deceased pets cremated, and it *is* hard when I go pick up the ashes! Sometimes for me it's worse than the day of the actual death, because there's such a finality about it. Take care of yourself as best you can, and I hope you'll post here if you want to talk more about what you're going through.
  13. winsomme

winsomme New Member

we are big animal people and know that this must be so hard for you. sending prayers....
  14. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Just wanted to add my hug and condolences for the loss of your fur baby. I lost my beautiful 'Blue' - kind of a Russian blue kitty in October. They are difficult losses to go through. The raw pain will become less as time goes by but we will always miss our beloved pets. Hugs, Val
  15. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add that my kitty was also a Russian Blue. He died a year ago Nov. They are the sweetest most gentle cats I have ever had. Did you get another one? We haven't yet but I would like to one day. GB66